Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

This guide was a huge help. Thanks. Got a 7010 i7 DT model out of a dumpster and got 10.5.5 running perfectly.

It Geek 5's around 775/3100

i7/16GB/3TB
16GB Crucial Vengeance DDR3
GT 710 LP
1TB Rocket Q in a PCI adapter booting 10.5.5
2TB Samsung QVO split in 2 partitions. 1TB for TM and 1TB for storage.
BCM94352HMB with a Fenti PCI adapter and BCRMpatchram3 kexts.

Last edited:
I installed Catalina on i5-3475s / Dell Optiplex 7010. Now I want to add one MSI Nvidia GT 710 DDR3 2GB card, what do I need to do to change my display to the NV card ? I tried to boot with the display connected to NV card but failed. Never finished loading...

I installed Catalina on i5-3475s / Dell Optiplex 7010. Now I want to add one MSI Nvidia GT 710 DDR3 2GB card, what do I need to do to change my display to the NV card ? I tried to boot with the display connected to NV card but failed. Never finished loading...
Change the BIOS setting to Nvidia HD graphics if you haven't already. Use the HDMI output on the GT 710.

Primary Display -> Nvidia HD Graphics

Thanks! I did that part already. The bar went to the end (very slow at the last 10 percent), but there was no graphics after that, just the finished loading bar on the screen

Currently I solved it in a dirty way : I put the EFI downloaded from from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-optiplex-7010.284786/ and it seems working. But no USB 3.0

Update: I created a new set of EFI and everything is working.

Last edited:
Can anyone know if the big sur support 3rd generation processor? Can the dell 7010 and the hp 8300 will can hackintosh?

Can anyone know if the big sur support 3rd generation processor? Can the dell 7010 and the hp 8300 will can hackintosh?
We don't know yet until the public beta comes out later this month. Keep checking back for that. Works perfectly fine with Catalina right now. Big Sur won't be fully debugged till later on this Fall anyway.

Well, I guess X86_64 system will be negatively optimized by Apple from Big Sur and on.

There will be much less chances for Hackintosh when Arm CPUs take the place.

Well, I guess X86_64 system will be negatively optimized by Apple from Big Sur and on
Not at all. We know for sure Big Sur fully supports x86_64 Intel Macs. Also, Apple did say that they plan on supporting Intel Macs for years to come. Would make sense as over 100 million people are using Intel Macs today. Why would they stop supporting all their current customers ? Only a few developers even have an Apple Silicon Mac to use. They only have one to get their apps ready for the first new Apple Silicon Mac that won't ship until December of 2020. There is a new iMac with an Intel 10th gen CPU that will be here in the next few months. Certainly that has to have Big Sur support to work.

Last edited:
Back