Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

whether or not the original 7010 DT psu is enough for an rx560?
Depends on whether the 560 needs 6 pin power. Most of them don't and just draw up to 75W from the x16 PCIe slot.

Last edited:
Depends on whether the 560 needs 6 pin power. Most of them don't and just draw up to 75W from the x16 PCIe slot.
Well, in a year if the cost of those come down, it might be something to think about for 7010 users wanting a Monterey install adventure…. But These graphics cards are SO expensive these days, it seems like it could be cheaper just to buy an entirely new computer like the 9020, at that point….. holding on to hackintoshing in the gloaming…. <sigh> ;)

is anyone here having trouble unlocking cfglock. i can't boot into usb. it immediately rebooted and i think it has something to do with cfglock

i can't boot into usb. it immediately rebooted and i think it has something to do with cfglock
Are you installing Catalina ? CFG doesn't need to be unlocked for that OS, only Big Sur or newer.

i
Are you installing Catalina ? CFG doesn't need to be unlocked for that OS, only Big Sur or newer.
I installed big sur on the 7010 without modding the 7010 bios like you did for the 7020/9020 models….. It seems to work just fine by just making the plist changes instead.… are there advantages to unlocking CFG on the 7010? Or is it necessary for some reason that I don’t know about yet? can we use the same method for cfg unlocking on the 7010 that you describe for the 9020 thread?

can we use the same method for cfg unlocking on the 7010 that you describe for the 9020 thread?
Yes, you would have to extract and examine the BIOS first to know what to change.
Takes a lot if time and effort to do that.

If Big Sur worked/installed on the 7010, you've probably got AppleXcpmCfgLock Quirk set to Yes/True that lets you bypass needing to unlock CFG in the BIOS. It works but it's not the best method, completely acceptable though.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Last edited:
If Big Sur worked/installed on the 7010, you've probably got AppleXcpmCfgLock Quirk set to Yes/True that lets you bypass needing to unlock CFG in the BIOS. It works but it's not the best method, completely acceptable though.

I have that set to true just as you mention. Do you know what the downside is to not unlocking the cfg in the bios and setting that plist entry to false is on the 7010 for users who upgrade to Big Sur?

Do you know what the downside is to not unlocking the cfg in the bios and setting that plist entry to false is on the 7010 for users who upgrade to Big Sur?
Won't boot. That's it.

I followed every step you instructed. I am installing catalina. after booting into clover on usb it runs command line very fast and ends with ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++. I couldn't read what was wrong with it, there is also a log file in my usb. what should i do now

I followed every step you instructed. I am installing catalina. after booting into clover on usb it runs command line very fast and ends with ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++. I couldn't read what was wrong with it, there is also a log file in my usb. what should i do now
That’s really weird, because most people who follow this guide in close detail end up with a system that works better than a real Mac (including myself). I think that you need to put more information about what hardware you’re using in your profile and what exactly you’ve done so far with more detail.

Last edited:
Back