Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Ran Multibeats to install the bootloader and that went fine too.
Still I can only boot from the USB drive. When I try to boot from my SSD , The computer resets mid way.
You didn't follow all of the video guide for making the SSD bootable. Multibeast is not used. Watch again.

You'd clone the Sata SSD install to the NVME. Don't put the EFI folder on the NVME though. Leave it on the SSD so you can boot. I haven't tried this yet myself so you're the first of heard of doing this. Big Sur security might factor in on whether you can clone the Sata SSD. I would boot from Acronis 2021 on a USB stick. Then delete the EFI folder that gets copied to the NVME EFI partition after the cloning is completed.
Its not working. I was clone the disk with clonezilla. The macos in the nvme not shown in the opencore menu

The macos in the nvme not shown in the opencore menu
As I said previously, I've not done this with OpenCore and Big Sur. You'll need to use the specific NVMe driver for OC and Big Sur. Check with Acidanthera on Github to find it. This thread is only for a Catalina install with Clover. You're on your own with Big Sur/ OpenCore.

Followed your instructions but so far, no sound output through Displayport/HDMI. Is there a particular step to enable sound through displayport?

This guide was amazing! Thank you! The installation process and upgrade to Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update also went absolutely perfectly. With the help of the information from the Mojave/High Sierra Guide about MEBx, I also successfully flashed my firmware with a bootable DOS usb stick because the door inside my Optiplex says ``3 ME Disabled.`` Now it is ``AMT_DASH_VPRO: DEFAULT. 1`` Truly, thank you for all of this amazing information.

So far, the only issue that I've had was just a few kernel panics upon waking from sleep. I thought that perhaps if I updated kexts / drivers in clover this might solve the problem. I went through a custom update~install for clover and only updated/downloaded the kexts and drivers that were in my folders. Upon rebooting with an updated EFI folder in clover 5128, the boot process got stuck at the apple sign without even moving forward at all. In verbose mode, there were errors like [err(0x%) @ gv wake-failure] and [err prelinkedkernels]. I used the original USB stick as a recovery, booted up, and then copied the original EFI folder back to my SSD`s EFI drive, so now everything is booting up fine again.

My questions are:

1) To successfully receive security updates for Catalina over the next 2 years, must one be regularly updating clover and the existing kexts/drivers? Or is it better not to mess with kext ~ driver updates at all through Catalina future security updates? I would like to keep studying about how to update clover if it is necessary.

2) Is there a solution / any advice to the occasional kernel panic that occurs upon waking from sleep?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!! Sorry this note is so long!

To successfully receive security updates for Catalina over the next 2 years, must one be regularly updating clover and the existing kexts/drivers?
If 10.15.7 works well now there's no reason to udpate Clover. You don't want the newer versions that have Big Sur support anyway as they won't work. The drivers can be left alone too. If a newer kext version fixes or improves something you can update those.
Is there a solution / any advice to the occasional kernel panic that occurs upon waking from sleep?
There can be many different causes of this and you'd have to go through the troubleshooting process.

Thank you.

When I choose the sleep setting from the  key in the desktop`s upper left corner, and then wake it up later, there are never any problems. Perfect.

In [system preferences] --> [energy saver], there are two time settings: [computer sleep] and [display sleep].

When the computer sleep and display sleep are set to the same time, there have not been errors or kernel panics upon waking from an automatic, time set [sleep].

However, when I have my display sleep set to 15 minutes and computer sleep set to 1 hour 30 minutes--when these two settings are on different timers, for example--, there have been a few kernel panics and Apple ID errors as the computer wakes up. Maybe a time setting difference between computer sleep and display sleep causes glitches with this computer (or with my particular LCD)? Not such a big deal, but interesting........

Thanks again for the amazing tutorial. :) I wish that Tonymacx86.com had a ``donate`` button on the top menu tab. :)

Attachments

• No problems.png
    No problems.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Problems?.png
    Problems?.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 46
I wish that Tonymacx86.com had a ``donate`` button on the top menu tab
Wish granted. In the upper left corner. Glad to hear the guide was helpful.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

It's on the Home page too.
Screen Shot 7.jpg

If you guys get authorizations for international donations, then I will be the first to buy you a cup of coffee.
Cheers from Japan. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 14.19.08.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 14.19.08.png
    17 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 14.20.54.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 14.20.54.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 35
Back