Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Okay, thank you for the heads up.

Between your comments sonicman66 & SteaKnifeBigBrokext and the BrcmPatchRAM git page it sounds like i need :
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other ?

Should I save them for the boot drive folder, or are they okay to go on the Unibeast USB that gets dragged and dropped over post install?

Okay, thank you for the heads up.

Between your comments sonicman66 & SteaKnifeBigBrokext and the BrcmPatchRAM git page it sounds like i need :
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
  • BrcmFirmwareData.kext
  • BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other ?

Should I save them for the boot drive folder, or are they okay to go on the Unibeast USB that gets dragged and dropped over post install?
I just have mine in other

I will most likely follow your suggestion and stay on Catalina but curious if 9010 instructions are applicable to 7010.
The 9010 and 7010 are much alike. The 9010 has a RAID option in the BIOS that the 7010 doesn't have.

I was install big sur in my dell 7010 dt. I was use a sata ssd because the installation not working in the nvme disk in the pci adapter. How can i install to the nvme?

I was install big sur in my dell 7010 dt. I was use a sata ssd because the installation not working in the nvme disk in the pci adapter. How can i install to the nvme?
You'd clone the Sata SSD install to the NVME. Don't put the EFI folder on the NVME though. Leave it on the SSD so you can boot. I haven't tried this yet myself so you're the first of heard of doing this. Big Sur security might factor in on whether you can clone the Sata SSD. I would boot from Acronis 2021 on a USB stick. Then delete the EFI folder that gets copied to the NVME EFI partition after the cloning is completed.

Good to hear that it worked for you. What specifically is your hardware ? https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/account-details

View attachment 495142

No, I'm not planning on that for a number of reasons.

Even if you go through switching SMBIOS to one that is Big Sur compatible, it will only last for one upgrade. Mac Pro 6,1 is one example. I don't really see any significant advantages of Big Sur over Catalina. In my opinion it's also not worth all the work of switching to OC on this build.

General recommendation to all Optiplex 7010/9010 owners

Stay with Catalina 10.15.7

It will continue to get security updates from Apple for about 3 years. Will keep working with no problems, you'll be able to keep using supported updated 3rd party browsers like Chrome and Firefox.

If anyone does want Big Sur, first learn about OpenCore and how that works and then give it a try.
Which model you propose for big sur. I want to buy a model that you think its the alternative of the Dell 7010 for the next years.

Which model you propose for big sur. I want to buy a model that you think its the alternative of the Dell 7010 for the next years.
I'm using a Dell Optiplex 9020 MT with Big Sur. That lets you install an RX 570/580 and use the dedicated graphics. A power supply upgrade from the Dell 290W OEM is required for this.

These mini-towers are not limited to only HD4600 graphics. Those two AMD cards will have support much longer than Intel integrated graphics do. The 7020 or 9020 MT models will work. Here's a link to how you can modify the Dell OEM case to make even graphics cards longer than 9.5" work in the 7020/9020.

There are also SFF versions that give you an option for a LP graphics card. There aren't as many AMD options for that form factor but the WX4100 by AMD works quite well.

Last edited:
Hi
I'm new here :)
I installed Catalina without problems.
Ran Multibeats to install the bootloader and that went fine too.
Still I can only boot from the USB drive. When I try to boot from my SSD , The computer resets mid way.
Any advice ?

Tnx

Last edited:
Back