Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Big Sur on the Dell Optiplex 9010 with OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi thanks for sharing method of installing BigSur on this machine.
I've the same machine 9010 desktop using integrated Intel GPU, i update bios to latest version and set bios parameters such as reported.....
Starting from usb all goes good, system take 45 min to install with at least 3 reboot .
At this point of the installation i get this screen where i can move mouse pointer and this lines moves (so system is working) i think is in the phase of creating account/finishing installation.
How i can resolve this issue ? it appears a GPU issue .
Thanks in advance

My specs Dell Optiplex 9010 Desktop i5-3470 @ 3,2Ghz - 8 GB Ram - HDD 500GB - Intel HD Graphics
IMG_8305.JPG

There is no support for HD Graphics 2500 in Big Sur.
ok thanks .....it appears same machine of author's post. Which card i can use to make working this machine? i need just one , minimal requirement, with metal support only for test purposes and study new operating system instead of buy a new mac (i've iMac 24" and iMac 27" 2011)?

edit:
i find a cheap Zotac nvidia Geforce GT710 1 GB DDR3 , can be used with this machine ? before buy it i'm using efi of this post , i've to do some mod to make it working ?

edit :
i have an AMD r7 250X with 2GB Ram DDR5, can be supported on bigsur?

Last edited:
Yes supported
I try installing with this card ....all goes fine and at reboot i get into last step of completing configuration. At this point system hang up with yellow screen. i have to modify something in config.plist or add kext for this card?
thanks in advance

i think that R7 250 for some (software/configuration) reasons isn't incompatible .
I try a old Nvidia Quadro 295 and with this i can complete installation.
copying EFI folder from USB to harddrive make it starting and working correctly
Regarding resolution i think doesn't work for unsupported graphic card , also opening windows is slow.... i order Nvidia 710 2 gb ddr3 that appear supported oob,so no more config....hoping with this work everything correctly
and have better resolution than 1024x768

IMG_8319.png

in the meanwhile i try to modify imac configuration
Edit: configuration completed

IMG_8321.JPG

just upgraded ram to 16 GB
Waiting for new Graphic Card and SSD
Audio luckly works good with rear exit wired to Monitor speaker bar.
for Wifi and BT wich controller can be used with this config ?

Any suggestion will be appreciated
Thanks for help!

Last edited:
I try this to nvme with an adaptor but its not working. Have you a driver for opencore for nvme ssds?

I try this to nvme with an adaptor but its not working. Have you a driver for opencore for nvme ssds?
i haven't tried yet....i think for ssd isn't necessary any other kext because it uses same sata controller. I 've to enable trim to get more drive speed...for NVME i think there other mod to do/kext to insert

edit:
give a look here https://github.com/acidanthera/NVMeFix

I try installing with this card ....all goes fine and at reboot i get into last step of completing configuration. At this point system hang up with yellow screen. i have to modify something in config.plist or add kext for this card?
thanks in advance
radpg=15: Required for HD 7730/7750/7770/R7 250/R7 250X GPU initialization)
boot-args ->radpg=15

I upgraded to OpenCore with Catalina and then to Big Sur. No problems, actually. OpenCore was pretty smooth, even if I did sort of adjust these instructions at the top of the thread.

I haven't been super impressed with the performance though. A little sluggish compared to Catalina at times. Maybe my configuration needs work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back