Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

My system is unstable with MacPro 7,1. It is stable when I use ImacPro 1,1 though after a long time with perfect stability I have had time and I have been playing world of warcraft more some crashes are returning but only when playing the game. It is very possible both our issues are from the heat more specifically heat on the memory. I have locked my FPS in world of warcraft to 60 FPS to help keep the temperature down. I have been considering installing a water cooler for the GPU since the crash only happen while playing wow.

For temperature and fan monitor I use this, simply paste in a terminal.

while sleep 1; do clear;ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'; done

Anyway ... the maximum hardware acceleration is obtained only and only using iMacPro1.1 or MacPro7.1, all the other SMBIOS with the VEGA do not allow the maximum due to the operating system.

Use the SMBIOS, which is similar to your hardware, not something random.
I am using MacBookPro15,3, because I am using the UHD 630 iGPU for my second monitor.

Hello, I kindly ask for help.

I followed the instructions to change the fan speed of the VEGA 64 but without success.

Currently the fan works, but for my purposes it runs too slowly (max 2400 rpm), because for the renderings I do, it could also remain 48-50 consecutive hours at work.

Even though the case is extremely well ventilated (inside the temperature is the same as outside), the card reaches (and often exceeds) 80 degrees.

I did this: I ran VGTab and selected VEGA 64 (I have fans and no water), I set "Target" for 3600, "Minimum" for 700, "Target Temperature" for 65.

I generate the control, copy the part affected by the kext, paste in clover's config.plist, restart, but the fan still only reaches 2400 rpm.

Where am I wrong?

I attach config.plist.

I thank everyone for their help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    26.7 KB · Views: 89
Hello, I kindly ask for help.

I followed the instructions to change the fan speed of the VEGA 64 but without success.

Currently the fan works, but for my purposes it runs too slowly (max 2400 rpm), because for the renderings I do, it could also remain 48-50 consecutive hours at work.

Even though the case is extremely well ventilated (inside the temperature is the same as outside), the card reaches (and often exceeds) 80 degrees.

I did this: I ran VGTab and selected VEGA 64 (I have fans and no water), I set "Target" for 3600, "Minimum" for 700, "Target Temperature" for 65.

I generate the control, copy the part affected by the kext, paste in clover's config.plist, restart, but the fan still only reaches 2400 rpm.

Where am I wrong?

I attach config.plist.

I thank everyone for their help.
The one time I added it to my config file I used the automated method. However, you can just as easily drop the vega64.kext that vgtab generates into your kext folder.

The one time I added it to my config file I used the automated method. However, you can just as easily drop the vega64.kext that vgtab generates into your kext folder.

It was the first thing I had done, but it didn't work.

I canceled the changes, I updated Lilu and Green, now it works.

30 minutes with 100% GPU and these are the current results, I would say perfect, congratulations to the author of VGTab !!!

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-02-05 alle 12.25.26.png
    Schermata 2021-02-05 alle 12.25.26.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 105

@Minchiostil,

This issue has crept up several times in this and other threads ....

Custom control of the fan curve on Vega GPU's in MacOS only works with certain OEM cards.

The problem is caused by some manufactures using a non-reference VBIOS that takes full control of the fans and does not allow MacOS to control the fans as per the AMD reference design, there is a note in the guide that clearly highlights this issue.

Some users who ran into this problem have been able to take control of the fans in MacOS by flashing their cards with a reference VBIOS but its not a procedure I have used myself so you would need to research this carefully before attempting it.

Such a procedure can run the risk of bricking the card if you mess it up or use the wrong firmware, that being said there are many posts in this and other threads from users who have successfully flashed their Vega GPU with a reference VBIOS and gained control of fans under MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

On my Haswell system (see White Knight build in my sig for spec) i use SHIKIGVA=16, HD 4600 IGPU is configured as headless and the system is running with the iMac15,1 SMBIOS.
Hey Jay,

Are you able to see fan speeds with VirtualSMC? I can't with my Haswell H97 mobo.

Are you able to see fan speeds with VirtualSMC? I can't with my Haswell H97 mobo.

@Archangeliques,

Yes, using OpenCore and Virtual SMC the fan speed on my Vega 64 LC is reported by using the following terminal command :-

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

Which results in the following sensor data

Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=18
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=599
"Temperature(C)"=27

Which indicates that at a OS level the sensor data is being collected and processed by MacOS ...

Cheers
Jay

Back