Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Hello,

Can I use this to fix the low core clock of my Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64?

I currently have this card installed on my Z490 Vision D with i9-10850K. My smbios is iMacPro1,1, iGPU is disabled in the bios, and I'm using lilu and WEG. Using the Blackmagic Raw Speedtest, I only get maximum 84 FPS and the core clock never goes up above 400MHz.

Meanwhile, in my other machine on a X570 Gaming X with Ryzen 3700X (installed using opencore vanilla guide), I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse (which I think has been overclocked because it says so on the box) and with that card I am getting 112 FPS on the Blackmagic Raw Speedtest. I can also see the core clock going above 1GHz.

I understand that the RX580 is fast(er) because of the OC but I cannot understand why the Vega 64 is slow. I tried to use Geekbench and the score is 62157 which I think is ok and during the test, the core clock of the card briefly went over 1GHz.

By the way, both machines are running Big Sur without any problems.

Hope someone can help me make the Vega 64 work faster.

Thank you!

Hello,

Can I use this to fix the low core clock of my Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64?

I currently have this card installed on my Z490 Vision D with i9-10850K. My smbios is iMacPro1,1, iGPU is disabled in the bios, and I'm using lilu and WEG. Using the Blackmagic Raw Speedtest, I only get maximum 84 FPS and the core clock never goes up above 400MHz.

Meanwhile, in my other machine on a X570 Gaming X with Ryzen 3700X (installed using opencore vanilla guide), I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse (which I think has been overclocked because it says so on the box) and with that card I am getting 112 FPS on the Blackmagic Raw Speedtest. I can also see the core clock going above 1GHz.

I understand that the RX580 is fast(er) because of the OC but I cannot understand why the Vega 64 is slow. I tried to use Geekbench and the score is 62157 which I think is ok and during the test, the core clock of the card briefly went over 1GHz.

By the way, both machines are running Big Sur without any problems.

Hope someone can help me make the Vega 64 work faster.

Thank you!
the RX580 isn't faster at all, not on paper not in real life. I'm not sure where you got that idea from but something is wrong with your configuration.

the RX580 isn't faster at all, not on paper not in real life. I'm not sure where you got that idea from but something is wrong with your configuration.
Hi @Karl-Hungus,

Sorry, I meant that the RX580 is faster than normal because of the OC. But like you said, it can't be faster than the Nitro+ Vega 64 and yet in Blackmagic Raw Speedtest the RX 580 is faster. That's why I'm wondering what is wrong.

However, using Unigine Valley the Nitro+ Vega 64 is definitely faster (max FPS is 145) whereas the RX580 is only max 73 FPS and the overall score is 3080 for the Vega 64 and around 2100 for the RX580. So, it seems like it's only in the Blackmagic Raw Speedtest that it is lagging, but then that's the more important benchmark for me because I am using Davinci Resolve.

Thanks!

Hi @Karl-Hungus,

Sorry, I meant that the RX580 is faster than normal because of the OC. But like you said, it can't be faster than the Nitro+ Vega 64 and yet in Blackmagic Raw Speedtest the RX 580 is faster. That's why I'm wondering what is wrong.

However, using Unigine Valley the Nitro+ Vega 64 is definitely faster (max FPS is 145) whereas the RX580 is only max 73 FPS and the overall score is 3080 for the Vega 64 and around 2100 for the RX580. So, it seems like it's only in the Blackmagic Raw Speedtest that it is lagging, but then that's the more important benchmark for me because I am using Davinci Resolve.

Thanks!

What system profile are you using? If you are not using iMac Pro 1,1 that could be part of the reason. Another part of the reason is that in Mojave apple did a dirty hack to RX Vega cards drivers that disable FalconSMUFW that reduced their performance but fixed the fan issue many RX cards experienced. Someone found it out figured out how to re-enable it thus giving us back the 25% performance but as of 10.15.7 that fix no longer works. Even so the Vega should still have about 30% better performance.

What system profile are you using? If you are not using iMac Pro 1,1 that could be part of the reason. Another part of the reason is that in Mojave apple did a dirty hack to RX Vega cards drivers that disable FalconSMUFW that reduced their performance but fixed the fan issue many RX cards experienced. Someone found it out figured out how to re-enable it thus giving us back the 25% performance but as of 10.15.7 that fix no longer works. Even so the Vega should still have about 30% better performance.
Hello @scottkendall ! Thank you for the reply. I am using iMacPro1,1 with igpu disabled. My build is based on @CaseySJ Golden Build Z490 Vision D. Also, I'm using Big Sur. The system is very stable, everything works, no crashes, sleeps and wakes up properly.

The RX 580 that is overclocked is installed on a X570 Gaming X with a Ryzen 3700X. It also runs Big Sur. The build is based on opencore vanilla. The system is also very stable and runs 24/7 without any problems.

So I'm just surprised why the RX580 has better results on Blackmagic Raw Speedtest but as expected, slower in Unigine Valley.

A pity about the fix to boost RX Vega cards that it only worked until Mojave.

A pity about the fix to boost RX Vega cards that it only worked until Mojave.
It works until the last release of Catalina. However, you need to add back the Vega because the creator removed it when people reported the fans being messed up. I used it with an SSDT that controlled the fans and all was right till apple shut it down.

It works until the last release of Catalina. However, you need to add back the Vega because the creator removed it when people reported the fans being messed up. I used it with an SSDT that controlled the fans and all was right till apple shut it down.
Hi @scottkendall ! The boost for Vega that you mentioned, is that the Radeonboost.kext? And the 25% improvement in performance, would that be in video editing apps like DaVinci Resolve?

I’d willing to go back to Catalina if I can get better performance for this card compared to using it in Big Sur.

Thank you.

Hi @scottkendall ! The boost for Vega that you mentioned, is that the Radeonboost.kext? And the 25% improvement in performance, would that be in video editing apps like DaVinci Resolve?

I’d willing to go back to Catalina if I can get better performance for this card compared to using it in Big Sur.

Thank you.
I do not use Davinci Resolve so I could not tell you... but yes it was that kext. Remember it works on Catalina 10.15.6 or maybe it was 15.5 but it does not work in 15.7!

I Have built 3 Hackintoshes. BUT for my MacPro 5,1 I want this Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 to work! I have installed the VegaTab_64.kext in the two folders (library and system)/extension with an undervolted profile. yet it doesn't seem to be implemented.
It's fine and working for most things but when you open it up in final cut, or any graphics test above 1920x1080 it shuts down. Have the Pixlas mod items on order... But Would rather undervolt it, have it be more efficient.

How do you get the Kexts to stick in a stock MacPro 5,1? any help is so appreciated!!!

Cheers-

I Have built 3 Hackintoshes. BUT for my MacPro 5,1 I want this Sapphire Radeon Vega 64 to work! I have installed the VegaTab_64.kext in the two folders (library and system)/extension with an undervolted profile. yet it doesn't seem to be implemented.
It's fine and working for most things but when you open it up in final cut, or any graphics test above 1920x1080 it shuts down. Have the Pixlas mod items on order... But Would rather undervolt it, have it be more efficient.

How do you get the Kexts to stick in a stock MacPro 5,1? any help is so appreciated!!!

Cheers-
I am injecting the Soft Power Play Table with OpenCore.
Put the Vega.kext into kext/other not into the System directories.

Back