Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

And which you recommended?

@uran0s,

It really comes down to personal choice and what you use your computer for ... if you just consume content and need accelerated H265 playback and DRM support in Safari (Netflix, Amazon Prime ..etc) then the best solution is to use the iMacPro1,1 workaround (disable IGPU and do not use any SHIKIGVA boot argument).

If your a developer like my self then the iMac15,1 SMBIOS (with IGPU enabled and configured as headless) offers better support (IMO).

Using the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS can result in a slight performance drop depending on your system as that system definition its optimised for a Xeon CPU so you may need to use CPUfriend to get the CPU power management working.

Cheers
Jay

It really comes down to personal choice and what you use your computer for ... if you just consume content and need accelerated H265 playback and DRM support in Safari (Netflix, Amazon Prime ..etc) then the best solution is to use the iMacPro1,1 workaround (disable IGPU and do not use any SHIKIGVA boot argument).
Thank you very much.
I did the test with ImacPro 1.1 (with CPUFriend and no SHIKIGVA) and it is curious to get more Score in the metal geekbench5, 53000 VS 50000 in Imac15,1 + IGPU.
On the other hand the GPU on the Imac 15.1 in idle is 500MHZ (memory), cooler and using less Watts.
In ImacPro 1.1 just open a video and then in idle it is always 920MHZ, which spends another 20 Watts.

Did that happen to you in ImacPro 1.1 too? After opening a video the memory is stuck at maximum Mhz?

Did that happen to you in ImacPro 1.1 too? After opening a video the memory is stuck at maximum Mhz?

@uran0s,

I'm not surprised that you saw an increase in Metal benchmark score as the iMacPro1,1 is optimised for Vega dGPU.

It's been a while since i tested the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS so i cant be 100% sure but i'm fairly certain i did not experience the issue that you are reporting. My main focus was with render times in FCPX and compile times in Xcode.

I have the liquid cooled version of the Vega 64 which has a die boost clock of 1770 Mhz (stock) and I have overclocked my HBM memory to 1100 Mhz using the injection method i detailed in guide in post #1.

My card always runs cool (never goes above 68 degs C when under load) the HBM Memory clock always returns to 500 Mhz and the die clock 26 Mhz when idle.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that you saw an increase in Metal benchmark score as the iMacPro1,1 is optimised for Vega dGPU.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. :)

I will hope that another user with Vega 56 and iMacPro 1.1 smbios, can help me if the same happens to him.
Enter the system and the memory is at 500mhz, all ok, but as soon as I open a video either on the finder or on youtube and close it, it goes to 920MHZ and gets stuck.

Anyone that happens to you?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. :)

I will hope that another user with Vega 56 and iMacPro 1.1 smbios, can help me if the same happens to him.
Enter the system and the memory is at 500mhz, all ok, but as soon as I open a video either on the finder or on youtube and close it, it goes to 920MHZ and gets stuck.

Anyone that happens to you?

the only user I know had a Vega 56 OC for sure was @pastrychef. Maybe he could help you. However, pretty sure he just dropped the kext into the kext folder and it was using clover not sure about Opencore

the only user I know had a Vega 56 OC for sure was @pastrychef. Maybe he could help you. However, pretty sure he just dropped the kext into the kext folder and it was using clover not sure about Opencore

Yes. I just configured VGTab and dropped the kext in to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Can you upload your EFI Folder to check it out because I have the same specs and I need to configure my vega 64 correctly?

Thank you very much

As I have told you before I use Open Core not clover, and that it is just the EFI that is on the first post of Pasterychefs build.

Also I have nothing in my EFI to configure my Vega outside of the black screen patch from Pike R. that is part of clover configurator.

On Clover it is under kextstopatch ---> dropdown list----> Black Screen Patch Vega 56/64, RX580 etc. (c)Pike R. Alpha

AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy Find:626F6172 642D6964 Replace:626F6172 642D6978 Comment: Black Screen Patch Vega 56/64, RX580 etc. (c)Pike R. Alpha

In OpenCore I just copied another patch and modified it with the info above and for Identifier I put com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy

I do not have HEVC though.

Hi, I come from a configuration with Catalina latest version and RX 580 with SMBIOS MacPro 1.1. Everything works except Sidecar. Now I am replacing the RX580 with the V56. Will I have to make changes to my configuration or will it be enough to replace the old card with the new one, and will it be recognized?
Thanks

Hi, I come from a configuration with Catalina latest version and RX 580 with SMBIOS MacPro 1.1. Everything works except Sidecar. Now I am replacing the RX580 with the V56. Will I have to make changes to my configuration or will it be enough to replace the old card with the new one, and will it be recognized?

@FauPod,

You will not be able to get Sidecar working when using the MacPro1,1 SMBIOS as a real MacPro uses a Apple T2 chip to encode the video display used by Sidecar.

If you want to use SideCar then use a iMac19,X SMBIOS with the IGPU enabled and configured as Headless.

For the Vega GPU just make sure you have Lilu and WhatEverGreen installed, no other changes should be required.

Cheers
Jay

Back