Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

@zakklol,

Nice find .....

I think the VGTab utility must enable PP_DisablePowerContainment so that people can create a SoftPowerPlayTable that overclocks the GPU and thus allows it to draw more power, seems pretty dumb that it disables this data point / sensor though as i would have thought anyone wanting to overclock a Vega would be interested in this value.

I tried setting it to 0 and can confirm that it does indeed re-enable the Total Power data point/sensor.

I'll add this finding to the guide, thanks for the feed back.

However i'm not so sure that the value is correct ...

On my system which has a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled edition dGPU, at idle it hovers around 17 Watts, if i run a FurMark stress test in the default windowed mode the Total Power figure seems about right at 360 Watts.

View attachment 373798

But if i run a stress test at fullscreen (3440x1440) it shows around 680 Watts which is a crazy high TDP and can not be correct

View attachment 373799

Pretty sure that if it was really drawing that much power it would explode ;)

That said I left it running the FurMark stress test at full screen for an hour and the cooling solution kept it at around 65 Degs C as per the Target Temp set with the VGTab utility.

It seems the larger the output window of a 3D app such as Furmark, Valley, Haven .. etc the higher the reading to the point where it can not possibly be correct ????

Pretty sure its a MacOS thing as if i execute the terminal command :-
Code:
 ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power'
It also reports incorrect Power readings when running a 3d app at fullscreen :-
Code:
MonkeyMac-Pro-2018:~ Jay$ ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power'
"Fan Speed(%)"=45
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1501
"Temperature(C)"=33
"Total Power(W)"=683
MonkeyMac-Pro-2018:~ Jay$
Would appreciate if you or anyone else could post what sort of power draw you see when the Vega is under load.

If you don't have it already you can download FurMark for Mac OS here, once downloaded and unzipped run GpuTest_GUI.app.

Cheers
Jay

In regards to 10.14.5, I’m still having issues with fan speed etc. with my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost.

Had to reinstate my custom next. Maybe the overhauled drivers are specifically for OEM cards.

In regards to 10.14.5, I’m still having issues with fan speed etc. with my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. Had to reinstate my custom next. Maybe the overhauled drivers are specifically for OEM cards.

@colinzeal,

Are you sure you removed all traces of VGTab kext and/or any AMD device properties in your config.plist. ?

You should still keep LilU + WhatEverGreen installed which will ensure that the Vega has the correct ACPI device name, and a frame buffer defined ... you can check/confirm the ACPI name using gfxutil ...

Cheers
Jay

I installed the 10.14.5.
No Patch, No VGTab, no Kext or Clover Property.
When idle, the temperature is always around 65°C ( sometimes 70°C ) , and the fan is 60rpm.
How make fan speed faster when idle. And why is the GPU temperature so high when idle.

I installed the 10.14.5., when idle, the temperature is always around 65°C ( sometimes 70°C ) , and the fan is 60rpm. How make fan speed faster when idle. And why is the GPU temperature so high when idle.

@19wen6w,

Make sure that the Vega's ACPI device name is GFX0 otherwise Apples device drivers wont work correctly.
As stated in the guide the easiest way is to install Lilu + WhatEverGreen which should take care of the renames and ensure that a framebuffer is injected.

Cheers
Jay

@19wen6w,

Make sure that the Vega's ACPI device name is GFX0 otherwise Apples device drivers wont work correctly.
As stated in the guide the easiest way is to install Lilu + WhatEverGreen which should take care of the renames and ensure that a framebuffer is injected.

Cheers
Jay
YES,I am sure,My Vega 56 name is GFX0.
JSON:
{
    "DevicePath" : "PciRoot(0x0)\/Pci(0x1,0x0)\/Pci(0x0,0x0)\/Pci(0x0,0x0)\/Pci(0x0,0x0)",
    "DeviceName" : "Vega 10 XL\/XT [Radeon RX Vega 56\/64]",
    "ShadowDevice" : 26751,
    "BDF" : "03:00.0",
    "IORegPath" : "IOService:\/AppleACPIPlatformExpert\/PCI0@0\/AppleACPIPCI\/PEG0@1\/IOPP\/PEGP@0\/IOPP\/pci-bridge@0\/IOPP\/GFX0@0",
    "SlotName" : "Internal@3,0,0",
    "IORegIOName" : "display",
    "ClassCode" : 196608,
    "Address" : 0,
    "VendorName" : "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD\/ATI]",
    "ClassName" : "Display controller",
    "SubDeviceID" : 13953,
    "VendorID" : 4098,
    "IORegName" : "pci-bridge.GFX0",
    "Bridge" : "00:00",
    "SubClassName" : "VGA compatible controller",
    "SubVendorID" : 5218,
    "ShadowVendor" : 4098,
    "DeviceID" : 26751,
    "BundleID" : "com.apple.kext.AMDSupport"
  }

YES,I am sure,My Vega 56 name is GFX0.

@19wen6w,

Please supply Proper Problem Reporting Files (PPRF's) using the debug tool in this post :-

Ensure that you have the correct version of IORegistryExplorer installed (V2.1 from this post) and that you press F2 + F4 to dump the pre boot log file and ACPI tables before booting MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Just updated to Mojave 10.14.5. No Fan issues using LiLu+Whatevergreen.
BUT now getting lags every few seconds. Console shows kernel-error "Failed HDCP: status 4" if the micro-lag occurs.
I'am using two UHD-Monitors with DP and one 720p with HDMI/DVI.
Any ideas how to fix this?

Just updated to Mojave 10.14.5. No Fan issues using LiLu+Whatevergreen.BUT now getting lags every few seconds. Console shows kernel-error "Failed HDCP: status 4" if the micro-lag occurs.I'am using two UHD-Monitors with DP and one 720p with HDMI/DVI.

@p3rf3ct10n,

Check that all the ports on your Vega are using the ATY,Kamarang frame buffer, use IORegistryExplorer to look at the ports that have a display connected to them (will be called AppleDisplay) then check the frame buffer name.

If it's not correct then you could try my SSDT hot Patch (attached below) which is how i fixed it on my White Knight system (see sig for specs).

Download, unzip and copy SSDT-VEGA64.aml to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Note: My SSDT is for Vega 64 with a Device path of _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.

If your card is on a different path then you'll have to modify it to suit.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• SSDT-VEGA64.aml.zip
    968 bytes · Views: 146
@p3rf3ct10n,

Check that all the ports on your Vega are using the ATY,Kamarang frame buffer, use IORegistryExplorer to look at the ports that have a display connected to them (will be called AppleDisplay) then check the frame buffer name.

If it's not correct then you could try my SSDT hot Patch (attached below) which is how i fixed it on my White Knight system (see sig for specs).

Download, unzip and copy SSDT-VEGA64.aml to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched

Note: My SSDT is for Vega 64 with a Device path of _SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.

If your card is on a different path then you'll have to modify it to suit.

Cheers
Jay

Thx for your reply. Originally it was only "ATY" there. Modified your Patch by changing it to "Radeon Pro Vega 56" and applied it via /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched but the error is still showing. IORE is now showing "ATY,Kamarang" as it should...:/ Any further ideas? Should i provide more infos to you?

Thx for your reply. Originally it was only "ATY" there. Modified your Patch by changing it to "Radeon Pro Vega 56" and applied it via /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched but the error is still showing. IORE is now showing "ATY,Kamarang" as it should...:/ Any further ideas?

@p3rf3ct10n,

Try unplugging the HDMI monitor and just run the system using the two DP monitors ...
Check to see if the issue persists ?

If the problem goes away you could try using a DP to HDMI adapter to drive the third monitor.

I do seem to recall some users reporting issues with Vega driving more than two monitors ...
Its not a problem i've seen myself as I only have two monitors one DP, one HDMI so cant really advise much more on how you could solve the problem.

Might be worth searching the forums for that issue and see if there are any solutions ..

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back