Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC and MSI Vega 64 Reference.
I'm using Sapphire Pulse. Shouldn't really matter I guess, if you're certain iStat is using same method as in terminal.

Out of curiosity how is dual gpu working out for you? Do you see a lot of performance gains?

It depends on the application. If it supports multi GPU the performance gains are massive. Final Cut Pro X scales very well.

Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC and MSI Vega 64 Reference.
Are you saying that your Gigabyte Vega 64 OC has the fans working fine in 10.14.5 and you didn't flash a different firmware? This is really great news if that's the case. I flashed the Sapphire firmware on my Gigabyte Vega 56 OC in order to get the fans under control with VGTab. Everything works fine now but I much rather re-flash the original Gigabyte firmware and not use VGTab if possible. Thanks

I know that, I just didn't know you had a Gigabyte Vega OC

It depends on the application. If it supports multi GPU the performance gains are massive. Final Cut Pro X scales very well.
Did you have to create a powerplaytable for each card, for each pci device? I'm assuming you've used the method described in this thread?

Yes, I did. But I don't use VGTab. I created an Excel sheet for generating PowerPlayTables. The Reason are card-specific parameters that cannot be set using VGTab. The most important one is "Minimum PWM Limit". This is kind of a calibration value so the actual fan speed matches the value macOS wants to set. If "Minimum PWM Limit" doesn't match the value of your card, the fan will spin either too slow or too fast.

Fans operating normally under 10.14.5 here as well. I have a Strix 64 OC. I previously installed VGTab (which did nothing at the time), should I remove it or is it helping shape the fan curve a bit better than the default Apple driver?

iStat Menus working fine:

Remove VGTab and only run with "PP_DisablePowerContainment" set to "1" injected on the PCI path of your card. Then check out how the card performs using Luxmark and Valley.
After this you can play with PowerPlayTable mods like you would on Windows. Use the Excel sheet attached and set minimum PWM value to 42 for your Vega 64 Rog Strix.

Attachments

• pptable_v64-macOS-10.14.5-B1.xlsx.zip
    36.4 KB · Views: 237
So under 10.14.5 the values in your nice excel sheet are working exactly like in windows?
That would be sweet!

Besides that, i was always wondering what "PP_DisablePowerContainment" exactly does?
Does it enable/disable the use of PowerPlayTable values, e.g. switching between stock settings from card bios and PowerPlayTable?

Back