Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

I have been trying to get some coil whine under control. I have a Vega 64 Nitro+ (non LE) and whenever I scroll or even hover over tabs in a web browser for example, I hear a buzzing sound. It's been slowly driving me crazy over the last few months. I've spent 5+ hours trying to figure out the issue over the past couple days but haven't gotten anywhere.

I first tried just using the kext file generated by VGTab but as this guide explains, that was likely not working due to also using WhateverGreen. I've since followed this guide for patching my config.plist file several times, but again to no avail.

I only really care to underclock or undervolt to try to prevent the coil whine I'm experiencing. The fans are pretty much silent and keep the temp around 30C or lower.

No matter what settings I use in VGTab, iStat menus always reports low core clock speeds, generally less than 200 MHz, and the memory clock seems to always be set at 500 MHz.

Here's what I have in terms of config:
Code:
gfxutil-1.76b $ ./gfxutil -f GFX0
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Code:
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change GFX0 to IGPU</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    R0ZYMA==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    SUdQVQ==
                    </data>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>change PEGP to GFX0</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <true/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                    UEVHUA==
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                    R0ZYMA==
                    </data>
                </dict>
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>PP_DisableClockStretcher</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>PP_DisableULV</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_EnableUploadFirmware</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>PP_Falcon_QuickTransition_Enable</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_GfxOffControl</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
                <data>
                tgIIAQBcAOEGAADuKwAAGwBIAAAAgKkDAPBJAgAyAAgA
                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIBXABPAkYClACeAb4AKAF6AIwA
                vAEAAAAAcgIAAJAAqAJtAUMBlwHwSQIAcQICAgAAAAAA
                AAgAAAAAAAAABQAHAAMABQAAAAAAAAABCCADhAO2A+gD
                GgRMBEwETAQBAUYFAQGEAwAIYOoAAABAGQEAAYA4AQAC
                3EoBAAOQXwEABAB3AQAFkJEBAAZssAEABwEI0EwBAAAA
                gAAAAAAAAByDAQABAAAAAAAAAABwpwEAAgAAAAAAAAAA
                iLwBAAMAAAAAAAAAAMDUAQAEAAAAAAAAAABEIwIABQAA
                AAABAAAAAFgCAAYAAAAAAQAAALh8AgAHAAAAAAEAAAAA
                BWDqAAAAQBkBAACAOAEAANxKAQAAkF8BAAAACChuAAAA
                LMkAAAH4CwEAAoA4AQADkF8BAAT0kQEABdCwAQAGwNQB
                AAcACGw5AAAAJF4AAAH8hQAAAqy8AAADNNAAAARobgEA
                BQiXAQAG7KMBAAcAAWg8AQAAAQQ8QQAAAAAAUMMAAAAA
                AIA4AQACAAAkcQEABAAAAQgAmIUAAEC1AABg6gAAUMMA
                AAGAuwAAYOoAAJQLAQBQwwAAAgDhAACUCwEAQBkBAFDD
                AAADeP8AAEAZAQCIJgEAUMMAAARAGQEAgDgBAIA4AQBQ
                wwAABYA4AQDcSgEA3EoBAFDDAAAGAHcBAAB3AQCQXwEA
                UMMAAAeQkQEAkJEBAAB3AQBQwwAAARgAAAAAAAAAC+QS
                YAlgCUYACgBUA5ABkAGQAZABkAGQAZABAAAAAAACBDEH
                3ADcANwALAEAAFkAaQBKAEoAXwBzAHMAZABAAJCSl2CW
                AJBVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACAtQwAAACEGDqAAAC
                EA==
                </data>
                <key>PP_PhmUseDummyBackEnd</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>PP_ToolsLogSpaceSize</key>
                <integer>524288</integer>
            </dict>
        </dict>

I have updated WhateverGreen and the other kexts from pastrychef's golden build guide's most recent EFI directory.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing @mafx3 . I have the same GPU and your VegaTab_64.kext performed better than my last. I still have slight coil whine and was curious if you've had any luck eliminating it. Also have a favor to ask. Can you post the BIOS files for switch A & B? I flashed A with another card hoping the PPT worked natively with Mojave but it didn't (ASRock isn't a reference board) and of course my backup of the original got erased. Also, when you have time, can you boot in both A and B and see if you're performance is identical? Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the late reply. The coil whine, for me at least, only happens when I first boot up or restart my computer. This is not related to hackintosh or any kext. I assume this is what you are referring to? I assume this is normal operation however.

I never flashed my BIOS, so both A & B are identical, I have tried this already. Attached is the extracted ROM file from GPU-Z which I am assuming is compatible with your BIOS flashing software if other.

On a side note, maybe you have had this is issue: On windows side, I get a message saying "Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unknown hardware failure". On the Mac side, I get kernel panics, several reboots then error messages once in Mojave. Doesn't occur on each boot but it does happen every so often. I'm beginning to feel like this graphics card is problematic. Let me know

Update: I stand corrected. Bios A & B are different in fact. I assume A is towards the back of the case and B towards the front. I am updating the attached files. Also, attaching the different screenshots of BIOS.

Attachments

• 2019-01-12.png
    2019-01-12.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 2019-03-07.png
    2019-03-07.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Vega 10.zip
    270.8 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Have you guys noticed that sometimes the injection of this configuration doesn't seem to work? When booting the temps and fans are running as if the card was being heavily used. Fans seems to follow my custom fan curve however. It doesn't change until reboot and it only happens once in a while.

Unfortunately I can't find a pattern on when this occurs.

Have you guys noticed that sometimes the injection of this configuration doesn't seem to work? When booting the temps and fans are running as if the card was being heavily used. Fans seems to follow my custom fan curve however. It doesn't change until reboot and it only happens once in a while.

Unfortunately I can't find a pattern on when this occurs.

Yes, absolutely. I have tried injecting it both with clover or just using the VGTab kext but it occurs every now and then with both. Most of the time, GPU boots fine but once in a while in doesn't boot well. Don't know why but it happens to me too.

When booting the temps and fans are running as if the card was being heavily used. Fans seems to follow my custom fan curve however. It doesn't change until reboot and it only happens once in a while.
I also noticed this behaviour in MacOS as well as in Windows. Just happens sometimes and goes away after a reboot.

Yes, absolutely. I have tried injecting it both with clover or just using the VGTab kext but it occurs every now and then with both. Most of the time, GPU boots fine but once in a while in doesn't boot well. Don't know why but it happens to me too.
This happens to me as well every so often. It goes away after a reboot so not a big issue.

Hmm, glad I'm not alone on this though. Seems very weird as it's not consistent. I haven't noticed this in Windows as some of you. Could there be something conflicting during boot? Like something with the clover config or some kext that get priority on occasion?
I'm using Lilu and Whatevergreen with this btw.

I just bought an ASUS Vega 64 Strix OC and this fix (as mentioned in the instructions) does not work for me. Is there anything else I can try for my card or am I simply stuck with this behavior?

Issue I'm having with VGtab, curious to know if anyone else is:
So it works. The fan control works. It works to over and under clock my GPU. That said, it seems regardless of any settings I use, including the defaults, my computer will freeze after being left on for a while, particularly if it's not under high load. That is, idling seems to make it die.

I have the Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse.

Anyone else experienced this, and anyone else worked out how on earth to fix it?

Back