Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Hi,
I've tested the automated method here, with a Vega 56 (MSI Air Boost 8GB) and a 4770 + B85m-D3H on High Sierra.
Lilu and Whatevergreen previously installed (S/L/E with kext-utility).
I've just set idle RPM to 400 with VGATab and disabled the option (for OC) as recommended by the script.
It works pretty well for now. No sleep issue. No hairdryer anymore.
Will need to check with FCPX, multi monitors, sensors monitoring... I will follow up if necessary.
Thanks a lot for all your help and information.
Cheers

Will need to check with FCPX, multi monitors, sensors monitoring... I will follow up if necessary.

Vegatab and or the automated method of injecting the fan control should not affect FCPX, Multi Monitors, However sensors for Vega are mostly broken. In this guid it tells you how to get them working not sure they are really that important. In addition I use the automated method with a MSI Vega 56.

Apple might have fixed our fan problems but I doubt it

As far as apple is concerned the fans are operating correctly, keep in mind the only Mac with a Vega is a the iMac Pro. Thus the drivers for the Vega cards believe that you have iMac Pro and so it is running the fans as if you had an iMac Pro. VGTab and Injecting the properties of the kext into your config file is the fix for your problem, provided you have a Reference card. Someone noted above that the only non reference cards that work are the sapphire pulse/nitro, if that is the case then chances are if you flash your bios to the sapphire pulse/nitro then it should work with your card also. However, flashing Bios is dangerous and unless you are confident that you can fix a Bricked card I do not recommend it.

As far as apple is concerned the fans are operating correctly, keep in mind the only Mac with a Vega is a the iMac Pro. Thus the drivers for the Vega cards believe that you have iMac Pro and so it is running the fans as if you had an iMac Pro. VGTab and Injecting the properties of the kext into your config file is the fix for your problem, provided you have a Reference card. Someone noted above that the only non reference cards that work are the sapphire pulse/nitro, if that is the case then chances are if you flash your bios to the sapphire pulse/nitro then it should work with your card also. However, flashing Bios is dangerous and unless you are confident that you can fix a Bricked card I do not recommend it.
What I was referring to was the external eGPU enclosures. If it works fine with them, then it should work the same in the internal PCIe slot no?

What I was referring to was the external eGPU enclosures. If it works fine with them, then it should work the same in the internal PCIe slot no?

What I can tell you is that my reference card (Vega64) works fine in a eGPU on 2018 Mac mini fans spin up fan spin down. However, this same card required VGTab when it was plug internally into the system listed in my profile. I would guess that MacOs is able to determine the difference between an internal PCI-E device and an External PCI-E device.

The non reference cards fans are controlled by their own bios from the manufacture.

What I can tell you is that my reference card (Vega64) works fine in a eGPU on 2018 Mac mini fans spin up fan spin down. However, this same card required VGTab when it was plug internally into the system listed in my profile. I would guess that MacOs is able to determine the difference between an internal PCI-E device and an External PCI-E device.

The non reference cards fans are controlled by their own bios from the manufacture.
I understand. What baffles me is that I have a non reference card that the fans hit 1500rpm at 40c in MacOS but as soon as I switch to Windows it works just fine and has the fans off most of the time.
Because its a non reference and not on the eGPU list (Gigabyte OC) I had to flash the VBIOS for the Nitro + to get VGTab to work with it.

It now behaves just like it does in Windows. I have 50c target temp and 200rpm idle and minimum, 1500rpm target and 2500rpm max.

I understand. What baffles me is that I have a non reference card that the fans hit 1500rpm at 40c in MacOS but as soon as I switch to Windows it works just fine and has the fans off most of the time.
Because its a non reference and not on the eGPU list (Gigabyte OC) I had to flash the VBIOS for the Nitro + to get VGTab to work with it.

It now behaves just like it does in Windows. I have 50c target temp and 200rpm idle and minimum, 1500rpm target and 2500rpm max.

Someone else a few pages back did similar. Maybe the gigabyte does not let you over ride the onboard bios with a driver while the nitro does.

Wondering if anyone has had any success flashing a Nitro+ bios onto a ASUS Strix card?

I currently have fans working with the kext that @mafx3 on post #80, but I want to get some more performance out of the card.

Hi folks, I'm having a peculiar and annoying issue getting my Vega 56 to work at all. It's the Sapphire Radeon Vega 56 Pulse model, basically my working build fails to boot as soon as I connect the Vega, even without changing any other settings/config/monitors/video port connections. I've got some details in this thread. I've got 4 days left in my returns-window, so any insight or tips or advice is hugely appreciated!

Back