Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

I'd like to report that i can control my Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse with a SoftPowerPlayTable generated by either VGTab or the Excel-sheet method.
For quick testing i use the generated kext. Longterm i will incorporate the SoftPowerPlayTable directly in the Vega SSDT.
(My system is based on kgp's excellent guide.)

At this time i prefer the VGTab generated SoftPowerPlayTable although the Excel-sheet should theoretically allow more tweaking.
But for some reason i don't understand for now, the idle speed with the Excel-sheet method is higher than expected.

This discrepancy is most likely caused by the difference of the maximum speed of the Noctua fans to the stock fans.
The noctuas spin up to +- 2000rpm.
As i am also using two Noctua NF-A12x25 fans instead of the stock fans with an PWM adapter cable i initially saw the same on my air cooled Sapphire 56 Pulse. I would rate this as cosmetic rather than a real issue.
If i set the "Max Speed" value in VGTab to 2000rpm, the % speed reading is correct.

BTW: did you try to put in the low-noise adapter (L.N.A.) cable that came witch your Noctua fans? It drops the voltage to the fans by some amount to run them slower. This is the same approach outlined by jaymonkey but with "stock" parts.

@kubusikan @jaymonkey

I just bought a pack of this, one already shipped with the fan:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00KG3KP1U/?tag=tonymacx86com-21

I'll use a couple of them daisy chaining until my fans goes silent, goddammit! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

@pieropontra,

Expensive way of doing it but also a quick and easy way if you don't have soldering iron let us know how you get on .....

Cheers
Jay

Actually they’re €2 each, so it’s pretty cheap! I’ll update you guys when I’ll setup them.

@jaymonkey I know you’re thinking doing the same and I’m glad to help

Actually they’re €2 each, so it’s pretty cheap! I’ll update you guys when I’ll setup them.

@jaymonkey I know you’re thinking doing the same and I’m glad to help

@pieropontra,

The stock fan on my Vega 64 Liquid Cooled radiator works fine, it's quiet and keeps the temps at 65 degs C at 2400RPM when the GPU is under full load so at the moment I have no intention/need of replacing the stock fan. However I'm interested in the results you get using a push/pull configuration.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the perfect guide @jaymonkey and @lihaoyun6

I have Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8G HBM2 air cooling, stock bios

Here is my experience,

RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed kext (9.9 Copyright © 2017 wyhtc) (EFI/Clover/Kext)
-Idle speed 700rpm =)
-Geekbench score 170.000 =(

VGTab with clover (I tried to set idle speed 600-800)
-Idle speed around 1500rpm =(
-Geekbench score around 190.000 =

VGTab with kext S/L/E and EFI/Clover/Kext (I tried to set idle speed 600-800)

-Idle speed around 1500rpm =(
-Geekbench score around 190.000 =

When I tried VGTab without Whatevergreen

-Idle speed around 700rpm =)
-Geekbench score 190.000 =

But without whatevergreen my second monitor didn't work.(Framebuffer problem)

So, I modified RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed kext and merge with VG-tab PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable and Bam!

Here is my last result using VG-tab with Whatevergreen (idle speed=600 Core Clock P7=1680Mhz Memory Clock 1000Mhz)

Screenshot 2019-01-16 at 15.52.18.png
Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 12.26.13.png
Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 12.20.42.png

Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 12.25.02.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 12.26.13.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-17 at 12.26.13.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 94
  • Vega64.kext.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 102
Hi friends,
I used the manual method and still have WEG installed with MSI Vega 56 airboost.
My fans are still going hard. I also have glitchy displayport (random flickering to black and back) described here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/vega-56-glitchy-display.269745/

My hope was to have both IGPU and dGPU for Premiere exporting. Currently i'm set-up for headless IGPU and everything does otherwise work well (except my benchmarks and premiere exports are a good deal slower than in Windows).

Any suggestion on next steps? I can disable the IGPU, remove WEG, and use the VGtab kext. But wanted to check-in first for input.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Kind regards,
Adon

My fans are still going hard. I also have glitchy displayport (random flickering to black and back) described here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/vega-56-glitchy-display.269745/

My hope was to have both IGPU and dGPU for Premiere exporting. Currently i'm set-up for headless IGPU and everything does otherwise work well (except my benchmarks and premiere exports are a good deal slower than in Windows).

Any suggestion on next steps? I can disable the IGPU, remove WEG, and use the VGtab kext. But wanted to check-in first for input.

@AdonI,

I don't think disabling the IGPU and removing WEG will solve the fan issue.

There should be no reason why the injection of the PP Device properties via clover will be any different to that if you use the VGTab kext with WEG un-installed.

It's more likely that you need to fine tune the settings of the SoftPowerPlayTable. You could try Lowering the Target Temp as suggested by @pieropontra in post #76 (More detailed description in Post 78)

Which might help...

Cheers
Jay

It's more likely that you need to fine tune the settings of the SoftPowerPlayTable. You could try Lowering the Target Temp as suggested by @pieropontra in post #76 (More detailed description in Post 78)

Indeed that was the issue. The settings in post #76 did it for me. Many thanks for this!

Indeed that was the issue. The settings in post #76 did it for me. Many thanks for this!

@AdonI,

As more and more people get Vega cards for their Hacks we are finding that not all Vega are made equal so the more people we can get to post their success stories and VGTab settings here the more we can help others.

Glad you found the guide and tips useful and that you've managed to tame your Vega cooling fans.

Cheers
Jay

Glad you found the guide and tips useful and that you've managed to tame your Vega cooling fans.

Thank you Jay
I appreciate all your dedication to this.
Have a blessed day.

Back