Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

I was a beneficiary of this tool developed by the lihaoyun 6 brothers. In December 2017, in China, lihaoyun 6 and wyhtc, in order to solve the problem of abnormal rotational speed when using air-cooled Radeon Vega64, Radeon Vega56 and Radeon Vega Frontier Edition in hackintosh on iMac Pro, lihaoyun 6 was also developed through constant modification and follow-up with the new VGTab over a period of six months. Gong improves the normal use of hackintosh.

Seeing this post today makes me feel that the gods of hackintosh continue to be very happy for VGTab. At the same time, I hope to mark the source of the app. It is also a kind of respect for the original's months of work, and I hope to continue to improve the app.

Another suggestion is whether some modifications can be modularized.

屏幕快照 2019-01-07 下午7.59.38.png

Last edited:
Hi, I am the original author of the "VGTab" I am very happy to see the contribution of your work to hackintosh

@lihaoyun6,

Many thanks for getting in touch with us .... VGTab has been extremely useful in taming the default fan control of our Vega GPU's, I've been trying to find you for a while so i can credit you on the guide .

Thank you very much for your work.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
maybe you can put the original link of the "VGTab" in the contribution list.l

I can upload the latest version of the app, I can even post the "official" English version.

@lihaoyun6,

I've updated the guide with credits, links and attached the latest version of VGTab.

Thanks again for getting in touch and for your hard work.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@lihaoyun6,

I've updated the guide with credits, links and attached the latest version of VGTab.

Thanks again for getting in touch and for your hard work.

Cheers
Jay
:D
I am very happy to see that my utility has helped many people.
Your guide is very detailed and useful (I am not very good at English. Lol)
So I will put the link of your guide in my thread :)

I updated the ReadMe, should be clearer now - but let me know if you think anything else is missing.

@corporatenewt,

Very nice job writing up the instructions for your script .... clear and concise.
I have restructured the guide and added a new section that covers using your script.

Thanks for your contribution.

Cheers
Jay

Hi jaymonkey,

I am chinese too. After running ./gfxutil -f GFX0, I am still getting "unsupported registry entry" in the terminal. I had followed the your guide to properly install Lilu and WEG in L/E/. Here is my conflig.plist and kext in /L/E/. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 1.46.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 1.46.24 PM.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 80
Just wanted to report in that I have been running the same profile with lower idle fan speed (900 RPM), undervolting and OC (About 50W undervolting) since december when I got my card, and have been having no problems. :)

EDIT: @jaymonkey not sure if you already put it in the guide, but some of the custom cards (At least all of the ones with "zero fan" mode (Such as Nitro+)) uses on-board fan control which is not controlled by SoftPowerPlay, this is why some cards have not had problems with the fans going wild in macOS, but it is also why you are unable to control the fan curve of those cards.

Last edited:
@jaymonkey This is the guide I've been waiting for. This cleared up a lot of mixed information I had. Thanks for the info! Everything running smoothly now. However, I do have one concern: Vega64 LED lights blink to full 100% then back to one LED. Not stuck at 100% but does go back and forth between 0 and 100 rapidly when scrolling or typing, etc. In windows, they are on the lowest LED light in idle only turn more than that under load (when gaming or so). It is very jumpy in MacOS Mojave. Normal for Hackintosh?

Hack info:
Mobo: MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: AsRock Vega 64 (looks like the reference vega)
Mem: GSkill 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Clover config: is very minimal with only DSDT patches of EHC1 and EHC2 with custom SSDT for USB. Additions under Devices properties for iGPU and PEG like similar to what you explain here. Also, clover updated to latest version as of today.
Kexts: InteMausiEthernet, FakePCIID for WiFi and BT, USBInjectAll, FakeSMC, WhatEverGreen, Lilu, AppleALC, RealtekRTL8111 (All kext are latest versions I could find to this date).

@mafx3 my guess would be that Apple may be clocking the GPU up and down very fast to avoid any kind of lag when stuff is moving on the screen. I'm pretty sure they do the same thing on iOS.

Back