Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

@pmcnano,

Yes that makes sense ... I think for all systems with Air Cooled Vega GPU's that the Idle & Target RPM defaults are a bit on the high side, from my experimentation it seems that you should always set the Idle and Target RPM to the same value, this seems to be the Speed that the driver will always try to maintain when the card is not under load. I'm not sure what the Minimum speed does as I've never seen my system drop below the Idle/Target RPM.

What did you set your Idle Speed to ?
Did you also set the Target Fan RPM to the Same value ?

You could try a bit of undervolting which can help to keep the temps down and if stable you can then reduce the Maximum Fan RPM which will help to keep the fan noise down under load. I was able to undervolt and overclock the HBM to 1045Mhz on my card which resulted in a performance gain and drop in Temps/TDP which was a win win.

Its shame we don't yet have a full understanding of how the settings effect the PID algorithms the driver is using to control the Fan .... it seems to be a case of experiment and see what works ... hopefully enough people will try the method and report what works for them ... so we can build up a more detailed guide on how to make the adjustments.

Cheers
Jay

Hey! Meh, I don't have email notifications enabled.

So, I set it to 1400 and it's silent enough. I just modified the IDLE Speed.

That being said, I checked and in Windows I actually have 850RPM when IDLE. Under some load I get to 1400-1500. I Will be adjusting the params accordingly to get the best results!

Thanks for your help.

@Moonshine I suggest you take a look at above, it might be your case too?

So after more investigation...

Using the "PEGP to GFX0" ACPI patch (which I believe I added for Final Cut Pro along the way), does affect the ./gfxutil -f GFX0 check. Removing it I got the full path as shown in the guide, which I'm using.

Also thanks @pmcnano, it does appear the kext I had generated (and was using) just had the IDLE speed changed, TARGET speed was left alone. Setting them both to the same did quiet things. Why it seemed to work that way as an injected kext I'm not sure. :crazy:

That said, what are people using in VGTab for Vega 64 air cooled fan settings (idle & target speed)? and are people leaving the target temperature at the default (70c) ? Really not sure what should be setup here. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Using the "PEGP to GFX0" ACPI patch (which I believe I added for Final Cut Pro along the way), does affect the ./gfxutil -f GFX0 check. Removing it I got the full path as shown in the guide, which I'm using.

@Moonshine,

Yes I've actually seen this issue myself on my system, but had forgotten about it until now.
The solution for me (like you) was not use the PEG0 to GFX0 Clover ACPI Fix/Rename.

I've examined the source code for WhatEverGreen and it actually has code to perform all of the GPU ACPI renames.
However it does by matching the VID/PID path of the GPU device(s) which is much better way than the generic/global rename method that the Clover fix uses.

I'll do a bit more testing and update the guide with what i find.

Thanks for reminding me.
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

The DevicePath for me was a little different:
Code:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

I have one more, slightly offtopic question: I have an i7-8086K and a Vega64 with one display connected to eGPU via DP. I am using Lilu+WhateverGreen as described in the guide, and everything seems to be ok, VDADecoderChecker gives the thumbs up but I am unable to see Intel UHD 630 in Graphics/Displays in the System Information app. Is this normal? FBPatcher seems to recognize it (after WEG patch, so I hope not only because I added it as a property).

vega64.png

I have an i7-8086K and a Vega64 with one display connected to eGPU via DP. I am using Lilu+WhateverGreen as described in the guide, and everything seems to be ok, VDADecoderChecker gives the thumbs up but I am unable to see Intel UHD 630 in Graphics/Displays in the System Information app. Is this normal

@farkasseb,

Yes ..... if you have the IGPU enabled in the BIOS and the dGPU set as the Primary display adapter and you are Injecting a Headless PlatformID then you should not see the IGPU in System Information, but it will show up in the ioreg and the FB-Patcher App.

All of this is detailed in Note-3, Note-4 and Note-5 of the Headless PlatformID section of the Lilu + WhatEverGreen guide and is one method that indicates that you have successfully set the IGPU as headless.

Cheers
Jay

Vega 64 users can also use my Excel sheet to generate a PowerPlayTable. Gives you more options than VGTab and is less complicated when using the Clover injection method.

Attachments

• vega64-mac-pp_table-gen-V1.5.xlsx.zip
    36.1 KB · Views: 151
I have added support for "Vega FE with 8G vRAM" and "WX9100/8200" in VGTab.
And fixed several bugs that could cause problems...
So you should use the new version of VGTab.

Could you upload the new version here? Registration at the Chinese forum is impossible.

Could you upload the new version here? Registration at the Chinese forum is impossible.
Yeah, I can upload the latest version of the app, I can even post the "official" English version.
But I need to post a new post myself, not here.:O

Back