Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Would someone please give a hint about the settings needed in vgtab to run the card cool and quiet even if performance drops?

@ddsmith11111993,

Just run the VGTab utility and select the "Vega 64" button, don't change anything and export the data/kext as detailed in the guide. Follow the rest of the guide to inject the properties.

That should calm the fan down and make it behave ...

If it is still too noisy you can try dropping the fan speed set points and/or adjust the target temp and re-export the data/kext and just copy/paste the updated SoftPowerPlayTable property in your config.plist.

Cheers
Jay

@ddsmith11111993,

Just run the VGTab utility and select the "Vega 64" button, don't change anything and export the data/kext as detailed in the guide. Follow the rest of the guide to inject the properties.

That should calm the fan down and make it behave ...

If it is still too noisy you can try dropping the fan speed set points and/or adjust the target temp and re-export the data/kext and just copy/paste the updated SoftPowerPlayTable property in your config.plist.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you very much Jay!
Since VGTab isn't exactly what I would call "intuitive", could you please explain what the difference is between "Idle" and "Minimum Speed" as well as when "Target" and "Maximum" are supposed to occur. Also, "Fan Sensitivity"??? "Power Adjustment Range"???
I mean I love fiddling as much as the next guy, but this is an equation with too many variables :D

Cheers,

Dan

Since VGTab isn't exactly what I would call "intuitive", could you please explain what the difference is between "Idle" and "Minimum Speed" as well as when "Target" and "Maximum" are supposed to occur. Also, "Fan Sensitivity"??? "Power Adjustment Range"???

@ddsmith11111993,

Hi Dan, I agree with you that it's not particular intuitive and it could really do with a user guide or a help option. So far I have not been able to find the original developer of the VGTab utility as I too have some questions.

Form my experience the only things relating to the Fan that may need adjustment is the Maximum Fan Speed, which is the Max RPM the Fan will use in order to maintain the Target GPU Temp, You can also lower the Idle Speed and Target Speed if you want less Fan RPM when the GPU is not being used (for Air cooled cards these two options need to be the same i believe).

I have no idea what the Minimum Fan Sped does as I've never seen my card go below the Idle Speed.

I haven't messed with the Fan Sensitivity, but my guess is that it is used by the PID control to maintain the Target Temp.

I was able to get a bit better performance out of my Liquid Cooled Vega 64 by bumping the HBM Memory Speed to 1045Mhz, some users have manage to get it to run even higher but it seems to be very chip dependant .. some being better than others.

So far the only things I've changed is to set the target temp to 65 Degs C, and bumped the HBM memory speed to 1045Mhz all other values are the default ones for the Liquid Cooled Vega 64, since the liquid cooled model can clock up to 1750Mhz i have bothered messing with the clock speeds.

I know some users have used VGTab to under-volt the GPU and others to over-clock it ... it seems that it's a case of experiment and see what works for you.

The best advice i can give you is to create a config.plist with the stock values for your Vega and save it as config-stock.plist (in /EFI/Clover folder) .. you can then experiment with VGTab settings using your normal/active config.plist until you get the performance and fan control you want ..... if MacOS fails to boot because you got a setting incorrect or the Vega is not happy, you can use the Clover Menu -> Options -> Config to select the config-stock.plist so you can boot with the stock settings and fix the problems.

As a start i would just use VGTab with the stock settings for your Vega and see if helps to calm the Fan down and get the temps under control. Then if you feel the need play around with some custom settings use the method above.

Cheers
Jay

@ddsmith11111993,

Hi Dan, I agree with you that it's not particular intuitive and it could really do with a user guide or a help option. So far I have not been able to find the original developer of the VGTab utility as I too have some questions.

Form my experience the only things relating to the Fan that may need adjustment is the Maximum Fan Speed, which is the Max RPM the Fan will use in order to maintain the Target GPU Temp, You can also lower the Idle Speed and Target Speed if you want less Fan RPM when the GPU is not being used (for Air cooled cards these two options need to be the same i believe).

I have no idea what the Minimum Fan Sped does as I've never seen my card go below the Idle Speed.

I haven't messed with the Fan Sensitivity, but my guess is that it is used by the PID control to maintain the Target Temp.

I was able to get a bit better performance out of my Liquid Cooled Vega 64 by bumping the HBM Memory Speed to 1045Mhz, some users have manage to get it to run even higher but it seems to be very chip dependant .. some being better than others.

So far the only things I've changed is to set the target temp to 65 Degs C, and bumped the HBM memory speed to 1045Mhz all other values are the default ones for the Liquid Cooled Vega 64, since the liquid cooled model can clock up to 1750Mhz i have bothered messing with the clock speeds.

I know some users have used VGTab to under-volt the GPU and others to over-clock it ... it seems that it's a case of experiment and see what works for you.

The best advice i can give you is to create a config.plist with the stock values for your Vega and save it as config-stock.plist (in /EFI/Clover folder) .. you can then experiment with VGTab settings using your normal/active config.plist until you get the performance and fan control you want ..... if MacOS fails to boot because you got a setting incorrect or the Vega is not happy, you can use the Clover Menu -> Options -> Config to select the config-stock.plist so you can boot with the stock settings and fix the problems.

As a start i would just use VGTab with the stock settings for your Vega and see if helps to calm the Fan down and get the temps under control. Then if you feel the need play around with some custom settings use the method above.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks a bunch for your time!

D

Hello. I have X99 so installing High Sierra or Mojave is proven to be difficult (gets stuck). I would like to start by having Sierra installed with AMD drivers then upgrading to High Sierra then Mojave. It seems to me like Nvidia drivers are in a weird state of they 'may' or 'may not' be released for Mojave.

Can you download drivers for AMD/Apple or do you just have to hope the OS works with that card?

I want to make Radeon RX Vega 64 work with my current version of Mac (Sierra 10.12.6)

Is that possible without forcing upgrade to High Sierra?

Thanks in advance

I want to make Radeon RX Vega 64 work with my current version of Mac (Sierra 10.12.6) Is that possible without forcing upgrade to High Sierra?

@gamingaccess,

As far as i know Apple added support for AMD Vega sometime around High Sierra 10.13.4 but those early drivers where a bit unstable, I think there where ok by time of High Sierra 10.13.6 and as of Mojave 10.14.2 the Vega drivers seem to work very well.

I'm guessing that the CPU in your X99 system does not have a IGPU ? if it does the simplest solution would be to remove the Vega and install MacOS just using the IGPU, then update to High Sierra or Mojave ....

Only other option i can think of would be to use something like a Nvidia 710 to install Sierra with then update to High Sierra 10.13.6 then switch out the 710 for the Vega and then update to Mojave ....

Bit of a long way round to do it but if you have to start with Sierra it might be the only option ....

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Hi

absolutely no pb here without VGTab (only Lilu + WEG).I have a Nitro + Vega 64 (rev 2.0, only 2X8 Pins). No fan issue and no temperature issue. The fans stop as with Windows.
Just have a small coil whine and poor GeekBench results (less than 190000 metal & OpenCL).
Should a try VGTab ? I can have a zero fan point as with the standard settings?

My EFI if you want to check something.

Thanx

@gamingaccess,

As far as i know Apple added support for AMD Vega sometime around High Sierra 10.13.4 but those early drivers where a bit unstable, I think there where OK by time of High Sierra 10.13.6 and as of Mojave 10.14.2 the Vega drivers seem to work very well.

I'm guessing that the CPU in your X99 system does not have a IGPU ? if it does the simplest solution would be to remove the Vega and install MacOS just using the IGPU, then update to High Sierra or Mojave ....

Only other option i can think of would be to use something like a Nvidia 710 to install Sierra with then update to High Sierra 10.13.6 then switch out the 710 for the Vega and then update to Mojave ....

Bit of a long way round to do it but if you have to start with Sierra it might be the only option ....

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Lol yes.
It's a pretty long road for me.
I have to chose between two bad choices.

1) Has less powerful CPUs, motherboard out of life/service after one year. Discrete GPU support and more compatibility with Mac CPUs.
2) Have a powerful CPU with more cores, stick to long term support (X79,X99,X299) high performance releases but have a lot of work to do while installing MAC

Last edited:
It's a pretty long road for me...I have to chose between two bad choices.

Always best to approach a Xeon based build as a Challenge rather than than a Chore .. :crazy:
A long and winding road for sure but the end result is a thing to be proud of if done well.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey actually, Vega code was first spotted in Sierra 12.5-12.6 but no cards were available to us for testing. When High Sierra beta 10.13.0 came out it included the AMD10000Controllerkext and AMDRadeon5000kexts exclusively for Vega. Early support was OK but it got better after 13.4 for example the name was RX XXX much like the Polaris cards were listed until Sierra 12.6. Testing Sierra with Vega never worked using info.plist edits etc... But HS 13.0 on has had native driver support for the cards and it keeps getting better as time goes on.

Next Stop! Navi. AMD6000HWServiceskext now in Mojave! Can’t wait to get a Navi card for testing!

Back