Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

You are missing a
Code:
'
in
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power
here is a fixed version:
Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power'

You are missing a '

@cnrd,

Well spotted ... must have missed that last ' when i copy and pasted the command from the terminal in to the post.
Will update OP...

Does your system also show a crazy high Total Power figure when running a bench mark @ full screen ?

Thanks
Jay

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think (or hope) that it is accurate, these are my values while running luxmark.
Screenshot 2018-12-23 at 01.24.53.png
As the card has a TDP of 350W I don't think it will draw that amount of power.

I also got a value of 0 when setting PP_DisablePowerContainment to 1.

I can however report that my card goes back to 700 RPM slowly over a couple of minutes with the idle fan speed set to 700.

My Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse shows 420W when running FurMark. When I was messing with various settings the power play table I generated from a spreadsheet on another site was giving me total power readings of 600W. Kinda wonder if that value is actually double the 'real' value

Maybe.

When I idle in macOS 10.14.2 it shows a powerdraw of about 12W, in Windows it shows 4-6W.

When running the same Luxmark benchmark, it shows 558W in macOS and 244W in Windows.

If they are doubled that would mean that macOS draws about 10% more power for the same OpenCL task when compared to Windows.

Hi - I'm getting the below error with gfxutil - any ideas please?
Code:
./gfxutil -f GFX0
error: unsupported registry entry class type 'IORegistryEntry'.

I also just tried the VegaTab_64.kext in Clover/Kexts/Other but the OS wouldn't load

Last edited:
Hi - I'm getting the below error with gfxutil - any ideas please?
Code:
./gfxutil -f GFX0
error: unsupported registry entry class type 'IORegistryEntry'.

I also just tried the VegaTab_64.kext in Clover/Kexts/Other but the OS wouldn't load

Murmur2k,

Both issues will be caused by your Vega not having the GFX0 ACPI identity, as the guide states the best solution is to install WhatEverGreen and inject the power, fan and SoftPowerPlayTable as device properties to avoid conflicts.

Cheers
Jay

Yeah I don't think (or hope) that it is accurate, these are my values while running luxmark. As the card has a TDP of 350W I don't think it will draw that amount of power.

My Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse shows 420W when running FurMark. When I was messing with various settings the power play table I generated from a spreadsheet on another site was giving me total power readings of 600W.

Maybe. When running the same Luxmark benchmark, it shows 558W in macOS and 244W in Windows.

@ALL,

Thanks for the feedback guys and confirming the issue, it's clearly an error in MacOS ....

An interesting experiment is to use FurMark in windowed mode, and play around with the size of the window ... the smaller you make it the lower the Total Power reading .. the bigger you make it the larger the reading is.

Its pretty hard to understand how Apple could screw this up so badly ... as i would not have thought that the rendered output window size would have such huge effect on the Vega Total Power draw.

I too wondered if its doubled ... i'll have to try the same experiment in Windows 10 and see if the Vega Power draw is affected that much by the size of the rendered output window.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@cnrd & @zakklol,

I just ran some FurMark tests at different resolutions in Windows 10 .... using GPUZ to monitor the Vega
As I suspected the Vega Power Draw was constant no matter what the size the resolution (220W using balanced VBIOS)
So why the Vega's Total Power reading under MacOS scales with the rendered output window size is clearly down to a bug within Apples IOAccelerator module ... well done Apple for screwing that up in such a random way.

I think we need a proper sensor plugin for AMD Vega GPU's that reads the data from the onboard diagnostics rather than using the data generated/collected by Apple IOAccelerator module.

If anybody knows of such a thing please post a link ...

Cheers
Jay

Would someone please give a hint about the settings needed in vgtab to run the card cool and quiet even if performance drops? Alternatively could someone provide a powerplay table? I run the sapphire nitro+ vega 64 and I just want the machine to be quiet; at the moment it is whining like a baby and the fans are too loud...
Happy new year to everyone!

Back