Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Unfortunately none of the above methods work with my ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX Vega 64 OC Gaming. When I use the generated kext or inject the data into the config.plist my computer dosen't even get past the boot screen. Any idea what I could do?

ASRock Phantom Gaming X Vega 64 8G ... For convenience, I attached the GPU-Z information from Windows side as well as VegaTab kext and data file using the setting mentioned before.

@mafx3,

Thanks for the info ...

Cheers
Jay

Unfortunately none of the above methods work with my ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX Vega 64 OC Gaming. When I use the generated kext or inject the data into the config.plist my computer dosen't even get past the boot screen. Any idea what I could do?

@TheDave,

As far as I know there are only two reasons for the this :-

1. There is a setting in the SoftPowerPlayTable that the card does not like such as a too high/low clock or voltage value.

2. The card is using a non standard Custom VBIOS.

In your case its more likely down to the Custom VBIOS your card has. I think the issue may be that the Gaming and O/C Vegas (such as ASUS ROG Strix series) are targeted at Windows Gamers, as such they use a custom VBIOS optimised for that use which may deviate from the AMD reference design employed by Apple, as such it may not be possible to use the SoftPowerPlayTable method.

It's been reported that some Vegas that have a Zero Fan Mode (Fan does not run when GPU is at idle) can not currently use a SoftPowerPlayTable.

It's for these reasons I bought a Sapphire manufactured card as they always stick to the AMD Reference and why Sapphire RX 4XX, 5XX and Vega cards are generally recommended as a safe bet.

Seems that your not alone with issues with the ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX Vega 64 OC Gaming :-
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/asus-strix-rxvega64-o8g-gaming-not-compatible-with-macbook-pro/

However it's still possible that further experimentation might yet work ... See @mafx3 post :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nd-fan-control-properties.267519/post-1888078

Maybe his method might work for you (setting Target Temp low) ?
He's attached his VGTab kext to Post #80.

Hopefully Apple will add support for more Vega makes/types in future Mojave updates as the driver is still not perfect in many respects.

Sorry I can't be of more help ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I kind of expected this answer, but thanks for the clarification @jaymonkey. I found a kext file that somehow works, so it's ok for know. If i find a proper solution I will post it here. Meanwhile I will try to sell the asus card and get a sapphire one.

@TheDave,

Yes .. its a problem when the Manufactures like ASUS only concentrate on getting the most out of a GPU in a Windows gaming environment ... if primary purpose is for MacOS then compatibility should always be the number one consideration.

Hope you find a better fix ... if you do please post back here so we can help others ...

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

some of the custom cards (At least all of the ones with "zero fan" mode (Such as Nitro+)) uses on-board fan control which is not controlled by SoftPowerPlay, this is why some cards have not had problems with the fans going wild in macOS, but it is also why you are unable to control the fan curve of those cards.

Hmm - we put a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 56 in my son's Hackintosh. True, we haven't had problems with the fans being too loud - but we have experienced what we thought was overheating of the GPU. I thought we could get that sorted by following Jaymonkey's guide (first post in this thread), but now you're telling us that the Nitro+ cards cannot be controlled by SoftPowerPlay, so following this guide will make no difference?

Last edited:
Hmm - we put a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 56 in my son's Hackintosh. True, we haven't had problems with the fans being too loud - but we have experienced what we thought was overheating of the GPU. I thought we could get that sorted by following Jaymonkey's guide (first post in this thread), but now you're telling us that the Nitro+ cards cannot be controlled by SoftPowerPlay, so following this guide will make no difference?

I don't agree with the blanket statement that cards that have a "zero fan" mode at low temps cannot be controlled by a Soft PP table. I have a Gigabyte Vega 64 8GB OC card that I flashed with the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ 64 bios and I can control it fine with a soft PP in Mac OS. And the fan is often at 0%. Temps at idle are around 53 C. In windows this card both with the original bios and with the the Nitro+ bios have fans at zero when idle.
As an aside, the reason I had flashed the card originally with the Sapphire bios is because I was able to mostly solve the fan issue (and random freezes in Mac OS) just be doing that. I got the idea from a very long thread that I can't find now (not on this site). I'm only using a soft pp table now to under volt and reduce fans a bit more.

I don't agree with the blanket statement that cards that have a "zero fan" mode at low temps cannot be controlled by a Soft PP table.

From Sapphire's homepage describing the Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 56:
The brand-new Turbine-X system controls up to two external PWM fans mounted inside the PC’s chassis.
A dedicated hardware controller on the card intelligently adjusts the speed of connected fans based on the reads from five thermal sensors included on the PCB to improve the system’s overall airflow.

This is hardware missing on the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX Vega 56, so there is no doubt that the way the fans are controlled is different on the Nitro+ Vegas, which makes cnrd's statement, about fans not being controlled by SoftPowerPlay on some cards, plausible to me - at least with regards to the Sapphire Nitro+ cards (which cnrd also directly mentioned as an example). Well that, and the fact that we've had no problems with over-active fans - if anything, the opposite.

Last edited:
@pieropontra ,

I would try lowering the Target Temp see if you get a different result. I followed this guide to download VGTab, tested many different configs but ultimately what worked best for me was leaving everything default except:
Memory Voltage: 1100mV
Idle Speed: 650
Target Speed: 2500
Target Temp: 35

I will attach picture. If I left my target temp at 70 like it came default initially, but for some reason my temps will stay near 70 celcius after a few minutes of boot so my fan speed stayed high. For the record, I have a different vega 64 than you so may not work for you but I figured it is worth mentioning my troubles and what I did to fix them. Good luck

@jaymonkey

I tried injecting the power table to config.plist with no success, even lowering idle speed. Dunno what to do now, I even checked syntax of config.plist with clover config.

Hey guys do anybody got an original copy of AMD10000Controller.kext with no mods? I lost my backup and now I'm screwed!

Back