Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Hello, I add my experience (sorry for my English ...).

I have Vega 64 8 GB on MB in signature, I managed to make everything work ... or almost.

I have all 6 video outputs working, fans working, but to have full GPU use, I have to use SMBIOS MacPro 7.1.

But in this case, the system often becomes unstable, and Davinci crashes.

Always unstable if I use iMacPro 1.1, but in this case the GPU reaches a maximum of 80%.

If I use iMac 15.1 (the most compatible with my system), everything is stable, the shutdown turns off (with the PROs it restarts), but the acceleration of the GPU reaches exactly 50%, also confirmed by the export times of Da Vinci.

I am frustrated, no solution for my situation?

Hello, I add my experience (sorry for my English ...).

I have Vega 64 8 GB on MB in signature, I managed to make everything work ... or almost.

I have all 6 video outputs working, fans working, but to have full GPU use, I have to use SMBIOS MacPro 7.1.

But in this case, the system often becomes unstable, and Davinci crashes.

Always unstable if I use iMacPro 1.1, but in this case the GPU reaches a maximum of 80%.

If I use iMac 15.1 (the most compatible with my system), everything is stable, the shutdown turns off (with the PROs it restarts), but the acceleration of the GPU reaches exactly 50%, also confirmed by the export times of Da Vinci.

I am frustrated, no solution for my situation?
My system is unstable with MacPro 7,1. It is stable when I use ImacPro 1,1 though after a long time with perfect stability I have had time and I have been playing world of warcraft more some crashes are returning but only when playing the game. It is very possible both our issues are from the heat more specifically heat on the memory. I have locked my FPS in world of warcraft to 60 FPS to help keep the temperature down. I have been considering installing a water cooler for the GPU since the crash only happen while playing wow.

No, unfortunately my problem is certainly not the temperature, the fans run perfectly and I have a forced ventilation system which is very oversized (you wouldn't even need the fans to the GPU).

Here are 2 examples of the same Davinci project, one render is with any SMBIOS iMac (no pro), the system is stable, but the renders are extremely slow (3 fps at most), the second is the exact same project, same settings, all the same but SMBIOS MacPro 7.1, unstable system (65.5 fps, but it can reach 90-100).

With iMacPro I get to 45-50 fps, but it remains unstable.

I suspect it is an issue generated by the internal GPU of the i7 processor, but I don't know how to disable.

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-02-01 alle 10.01.17.png
    Schermata 2021-02-01 alle 10.01.17.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Schermata 2021-02-01 alle 10.09.12.png
    Schermata 2021-02-01 alle 10.09.12.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 104
Here are 2 examples of the same Davinci project, one render is with any SMBIOS iMac (no pro), the system is stable, but the renders are extremely slow (3 fps at most), the second is the exact same project, same settings, all the same but SMBIOS MacPro 7.1, unstable system (65.5 fps, but it can reach 90-100).

With iMacPro I get to 45-50 fps, but it remains unstable.

I suspect it is an issue generated by the internal GPU of the i7 processor, but I don't know how to disable.

Go into the bios and look around that is where you would shut it off.

Go into the bios and look around that is where you would shut it off.

That was my first thought, but my MB has no video outputs, no settings present in the Bios.

Another example is the fact that, others have the same problem with real iMacs that incorporate a second video card (radeon).

The one integrated in the CPU is still used by the OS for its processes, and interferes with the eGPUs.

That was my first thought, but my MB has no video outputs, no settings present in the Bios.

Another example is the fact that, others have the same problem with real iMacs that incorporate a second video card (radeon).

The one integrated in the CPU is still used by the OS for its processes, and interferes with the eGPUs.
Does MacOS see that it exists anywhere in the system information?
Like the PCI section?
The GPU section?
In your IO Registry?

I am not even sure that mac OS; unless you are running a really old one, supports the IGPU on the CPU listed. So no driver should be loaded and in theory not causing any issues.

I think I might have that motherboard somewhere in the garage with an I5 CPU. If I have time today I will pull it down and plug it in.

With my SPPT (GPU undervolted, RAM overclocked, Fans slower) my Radeon 64 LC is working very stable even under full load, e.g. with F1 2017, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc. All apps including Davinci are working.

Ok, I solved my problems, it was a USB ssdt that somehow made my system unstable.

Now I just have to fix the system shutdown problem.

Back