Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Hey guys! Dumb question:
Is it safe to set all the P values for Core and Memory clock to the Max default? So the GPU is constantly clocked up?

The reason I am asking is because in Final Cut Pro the Memory/Core clocks arent ramping up during rendering, (this changes between updates, giving me BruceX Benchmark results varying from 12 seconds to 22 seconds) So I am only getting half of the performance my GPU can offer in FCP.

Anyone else has this experience? I am on a Saphire Nitro+ Vega 64.
Other Applications seems to make the GPU rampup the clock just fine, like UNIGINE's Heaven Benchmark for example, here's a comparison using the ioreg command:

Code:
 ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock'

Comparrison.png

FCP uses a max of 915MHz :(
This issue has been puzzling me since the release of Mojave. I have HW encoding enabled, but also tried disabling it +iGPU, iMac Pro 1,1 smbios, iMac 18,3 smbios, no changes.

As stated before in the first post:

The question now is "Is it possible to generate a custom speed curve" or "Is it possible to increase the fan speed more than the actual maximum default?"

To avoid any miscomprehension, again...

YES i generated the kext leaving all the default settings for the Vega 56 with target temp to 35° (as stated before)
Sorry Bud, probably didn't read correctly the first time around. I tinkered with VGTab as much as I could and can tell you that fan curves can't be modified this is done automatically based on max and min set temps.

I have read the tutorial. Used the SoftPowerPlayTable. I have placed the kext in both Clover (/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) and in L/E. I have tried it installed in both places and separate places. I have installed it with and without the WEG kext. I have tested the card in windows and the card has no issues, so I think I can rule out a hardware issue.

I have that card.

My issue is despite all I have done my fans will not move at all and stay right at 692 RPM. Any sort of load on the card will cause the system to black screen crash.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get my fan working properly?

I have read the tutorial. Used the SoftPowerPlayTable. I have placed the kext in both Clover (/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) and in L/E. I have tried it installed in both places and separate places. I have installed it with and without the WEG kext. I have tested the card in windows and the card has no issues, so I think I can rule out a hardware issue.

I have that card.

My issue is despite all I have done my fans will not move at all and stay right at 692 RPM. Any sort of load on the card will cause the system to black screen crash.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get my fan working properly?

Do you have the bios switch near the video outputs end? Maybe it’s not set to the right or left enough?

Do you have the bios switch near the video outputs end? Maybe it’s not set to the right or left enough?

I just checked and it was in the position towards the video inputs. I moved it to the opposite position and found it responding the same either way. Plus it works perfect with windows 10. Thank you for the suggestion however. I just can't help think I am missing something obvious here. Maybe a bios setting?

I might just buy a liquid cooler hook it up to the motherboard fan control and hope it's a viable work around..

I just can't help think I am missing something obvious here. Maybe a bios setting?

@Lucking,

What version of MacOS are you running ? ...

The Vega fan control issues where pretty much resolved in Mojave 10.14.5 and refined even more in 10.14.6 and should not require the use of a SoftPowerPlayTable ... like you say it sounds like something is not quite right as Sapphire cards generally give the least amount of trouble and are recommended by Apple.

Have you tried injecting the SoftPowerPlayTable as a device property via Clover rather than using the VGTab kext ?

One may be to try using the Excel spreadsheet SoftPowerPlayTable generator written by @CMMChris which allows you to alter the Fan PWM power limit which can sometimes help (VGTab does not allow this).
The excel spreadsheet is attached to this post :-

You should read through some of the subsequent posts to understand how to use the spreadsheet. If you have questions or need help with it I recommend that you post in that thread for the attention of @CMMChris.

Liquid cooling a Vega GPU is a good option ... I have the Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled card and it never gets over 68 degrees C even when stress testing under full load and it remains quiet at all times.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you for your response. I am a big fan of your posts.

I am not trying to do anything more than make the fans move faster when temps rise. Not trying to overclock or anything else. I know this is likely not a hardware issue because they respond appropriately windows 10. Even stressed them with loud fans moving but no crashing.

Have you tried injecting the SoftPowerPlayTable as a device property via Clover rather than using the VGTab kext ?

I did follow your guide on injection it into clover. When I modified the plist I xcode was unable to read it anymore and it scared me from using the new config plist. I did download the one attached in your first post and xcode was unable to read it as well. So maybe it was correct but I didn't want to chance it. Even though I do back up everything I just didn't want another problem to try and fix last night.

Thanks again for your response.

You don't need any PowerPlay Table. Fan control works OOB with macOS starting from 10.14.5.

If for whatever reason you wanna use a PowerPlay Table though, do not use VGTab. First and foremost: That Kext solution is dirty and not even update proof. You override the AMD10000Controller using that Kext and if Apple changes something there you can get issues.

Also, VGTab is missing an option for MinimumPWMLimit. This value needs to be adjusted among the different custom cards. This is kind of a calibration value making sure the fans spin at the right RPM set by the driver. If MinimumPWMLimit doesn't match your card, fans will either spin too slow or too fast.

So if you want to use a PowerPlay Table, generate one with my Excel spreadsheet solution and inject it via Clover device properties. MinimumPWMLimit for your card is 10.

Thank you for your reply.

I have removed all VGTab, Fake GPU sensors and even whatevergreen and the fans idle at 692RPM and haven't changed, which seems constant in whatever I do.

I don't want to override the controller persay, I want fans that actually do more than run at 692RPM. Could I have broken something by using the VGTab. I just used the values it recommended. As I am not looking for any sort of overclock performance gain at this point just to have the fan do what it's been designed to do. Am I missing something here?

I am thinking maybe if I move to Catalina something will reset

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back