Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
That is a great score for a Vega 56. Here is mine for the same card. Mine is overclocked as well, it is the Gigabyte OC. I am using the iMac Pro SMBIOS

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 + UHD 630
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
That is a great score for a Vega 56. Here is mine for the same card. Mine is overclocked as well, it is the Gigabyte OC. I am using the iMac Pro SMBIOS
In my testing, I have found that the most important thing is to keep the card cool enough so that it never throttles. The max temps my card ever reaches is 75C but it's rare and, most of the time, it maxes around 72C.

Secondly, the I have found that the most gains in performance come from HBM clocks, not core clock.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
In my testing, I have found that the most important thing is to keep the card cool enough so that it never throttles. The max temps my card ever reaches is 75C but it's rare and, most of the time, it maxes around 72C.

Secondly, the I have found that the most gains in performance come from HBM clocks, not core clock.
My card never runs hot. I get 50c-53c on idle with the fans off. Stressed I get 75c-76c as an absolute maximum. Well done, great score.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
There's no way Apple is using the reference card design spec VRMs on their iMac Pro motherboards, the heat alone would make Mac soup. You know they're underclocking thier native Vega64 chips as much if not more than on their CPUs.

I have the Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled edition card,

With the 10.14.5 update it is still hitting the max 1750Mhz die clock speed and 945Mhz Memory Clock without using VGTab or SoftPowerPlay Table injection so i don't think Apple is under clocking 3rd Party OEM Vega cards.

The Fan/Pump runs much lower at idle ~900RPM, maxes out at 2400 RPM / 55 Degrees C under furmark stress test.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i7-8700K OC 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 + eGPU: 2 x RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
I have the Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled edition card,

With the 10.14.5 update it is still hitting the max 1750Mhz die clock speed and 945Mhz Memory Clock without using VGTab or SoftPowerPlay Table injection so i don't think Apple is under clocking 3rd Party OEM Vega cards.

The Fan/Pump runs much lower at idle ~900RPM, maxes out at 2400 RPM / 55 Degrees C under furmark stress test.

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay.

I have an XFX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled running in 10.14.5 no VGTab, and I noticed that I'm only getting very low Geekbench 4 results compared to Windows results.

Is there a problem with Geekbench 4 and this card and or 10.14.5?

Can I still run VGTab with 10.14.5 and if so, do I have to remove Whatevergreen?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I have an XFX Vega 64 Liquid Cooled running in 10.14.5 no VGTab, and I noticed that I'm only getting very low Geekbench 4 results compared to Windows results.

@jb007,

Your not alone, myself and everyone else with a Vega based GPU are seeing lower GeekBench compute scores in MacOS 10.14.5 .. So nothing to worry about ...

I haven't seen an official reason as to why, some speculate that it could be connected to the Intel Zombieland CPU fixes that where introduced in 10.14.5 and GeekBench is especially susceptible to it, my own theory is that prior to 10.14.5 MacOS would use IGPU + dGPU for Open-CL / Metal compute but now just uses dGPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
E3-1245v2
Graphics
RX Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just for comparison:
This is Luxmark 3.1 running on 10.14.5. with no tweaks whatsoever. Just plain macos, no settings in config.plist and no kext. Running on iMacPro SMBIOS.
Hackintosh is about 7 years old, just switched out the GFX card for Vega 56

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Just for comparison: This is Luxmark 3.1 running on 10.14.5. with no tweaks whatsoever.

@sebideluxe,

As has already been reported most people are reporting that Luxmark scores are not effected by the 10.14.5 update.

You can not compare a LuxMark score against a GeekBench 4 compute score as they are two totally different tests and can only be compared against themselves before and after an MacOS update.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
So to answer my previous wonderings surrounding the injection of PowerPlayTable, fan behavior does follow the one injected through clover config instead of mojaves now native curve.

I can also confirm same results as previous posts regarding Geekbench scores, however my LuxMark scores increased from around 28k to 29,8k.

Motherboard
TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
@zakklol,

Nice find .....

I think the VGTab utility must enable PP_DisablePowerContainment so that people can create a SoftPowerPlayTable that overclocks the GPU and thus allows it to draw more power, seems pretty dumb that it disables this data point / sensor though as i would have thought anyone wanting to overclock a Vega would be interested in this value.

I tried setting it to 0 and can confirm that it does indeed re-enable the Total Power data point/sensor.

I'll add this finding to the guide, thanks for the feed back.

However i'm not so sure that the value is correct ...

On my system which has a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled edition dGPU, at idle it hovers around 17 Watts, if i run a FurMark stress test in the default windowed mode the Total Power figure seems about right at 360 Watts.

View attachment 373798

But if i run a stress test at fullscreen (3440x1440) it shows around 680 Watts which is a crazy high TDP and can not be correct

View attachment 373799

Pretty sure that if it was really drawing that much power it would explode ;)

That said I left it running the FurMark stress test at full screen for an hour and the cooling solution kept it at around 65 Degs C as per the Target Temp set with the VGTab utility.

It seems the larger the output window of a 3D app such as Furmark, Valley, Haven .. etc the higher the reading to the point where it can not possibly be correct ????

Pretty sure its a MacOS thing as if i execute the terminal command :-
Code:
 ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power'
It also reports incorrect Power readings when running a 3d app at fullscreen :-
Code:
MonkeyMac-Pro-2018:~ Jay$ ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Power'
"Fan Speed(%)"=45
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1501
"Temperature(C)"=33
"Total Power(W)"=683
MonkeyMac-Pro-2018:~ Jay$
Would appreciate if you or anyone else could post what sort of power draw you see when the Vega is under load.

If you don't have it already you can download FurMark for Mac OS here, once downloaded and unzipped run GpuTest_GUI.app.

Cheers
Jay
In regards to 10.14.5, I’m still having issues with fan speed etc. with my MSI Vega 56 Air Boost.

Had to reinstate my custom next. Maybe the overhauled drivers are specifically for OEM cards.