Gigabyte Ga-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
iOS
@LudwigVanCookie,

If you not getting jpeg viewing in preview then its most likely down to your IGPU not being configured correctly as MacOS uses IQS (Intel Quick Sync) even with a AMD dGPU. You should have your IGPU enabled in the BIOS, dGPU configured as primary and inject a "Headless" PlatformID for the IGPU using WhatEverGreen - See the Headless section of Chapter 4 in this guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay
Carp, you're right. I *thought* I had patched it but just opened hackentool to get a screen shot and it shows my iGPU as confused but it looks right in CloverConfigurator, argh. Something got munged up between last night and tonight, off to read the Plist before updating to 14.5.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Full release is out Jay 18F132

@demonknight9,

Good spot .. thanks for the news :)

Have updated the guide in post #1 with a recommendation to update to 10.14.5 and remove any existing method that injects a SoftPowerPlayTable.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Ga-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
I7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
iOS
@LudwigVanCookie,

If you not getting jpeg viewing in preview then its most likely down to your IGPU not being configured correctly as MacOS uses IQS (Intel Quick Sync) even with a AMD dGPU. You should have your IGPU enabled in the BIOS, dGPU configured as primary and inject a "Headless" PlatformID for the IGPU using WhatEverGreen - See the Headless section of Chapter 4 in this guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

Re-reply. I found the problem, at some point last night while trouble shooting, in the BIOS I switched the iGPU back to "Auto" instead of "Enabled" and when that didn't fix the problem I forgot to put it back. Ooops. Thanks for the heads up!

Side note, fixed the headless config, installed 14.5 with the new USB patches and everything's as smooth and I think smoother with the Vega64. I'll be putting it through the H.254 & H.256 render beating tomorrow, but I'm confident I'm done with this build for quite some time now. That was the smoothest update I've ever done.

Motherboard
Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Have updated the guide in post #1 with a recommendation to update to 10.14.5 and remove any existing method that injects a SoftPowerPlayTable.
What about undervolt and overclock? Would one still be able to achieve it using this method and not interfere with the "new" native fan behavior? I haven't updated to 10.14.5 so I don't know how the card behaves yet, but as others reported it seems everything should be functioning natively?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
What about undervolt and overclock? Would one still be able to achieve it using this method and not interfere with the "new" native fan behavior? I haven't updated to 10.14.5 so I don't know how the card behaves yet, but as others reported it seems everything should be functioning natively?

@Machinee,

Since updating to 10.14.5 I've not used any injected SoftPowerPlay table as I have a liquid cooled Vega 64 card that clocks up to 1750Mhz and runs at a cool 55 Degs C under stress load, however I have read a few posts from other users that are still injecting a SoftPowerPlay in 10.14.5 to under volt and OC and it appears to still work.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@Machinee,

Since updating to 10.14.5 I've not used any injected SoftPowerPlay table as I have a liquid cooled Vega 64 card that clocks up to 1750Mhz and runs at a cool 55 Degs C under stress load, however I have read a few posts from other users that are still injecting a SoftPowerPlay in 10.14.5 to under volt and OC and it appears to still work.

Cheers
Jay
I see... I guess it would still work but question is if it would behave like it does now in 10.4.4 with this SoftPowerPlayTable or more like in Windows where it instantly ramps up and down like a PWM fan. With this injection it does take a moment for the fans to change speed.
As mentioned I don't know how the card will behave as I haven't updated yet, but if it's supposed to work more natively (as reported) it would seem likely that the fan behavior would be more or less like in Windows.

So question is, would I have to trade uv + oc for more native fan behavior? Guess I'll just have try it out.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I see... I guess it would still work but question is if it would behave like it does now in 10.4.4 with this SoftPowerPlayTable or more like in Windows where it instantly ramps up and down like a PWM fan. With this injection it does take a moment for the fans to change speed.
As mentioned I don't know how the card will behave as I haven't updated yet, but if it's supposed to work more natively (as reported) it would seem likely that the fan behavior would be more or less like in Windows.

So question is, would I have to trade uv + oc for more native fan behavior? Guess I'll just have try it out.

@Machinee,

Give it a go and see what happens, my guess is that the injected SoftPowerPlayTable would override Apples default behaviour but as you say the only way to know would be to give it a try.

Having said that it looks like MacOS uploads its own VBIOS and there are quite a few new device properties for Vega in the ioreg in Mojave 10.14.5. But it seems to run my Vega 64 LC just fine with out any manual injections, still hits 1750Mhz clock when under max load and runs cool with the fan/pump ramping up and down quickly and smoothly.

Please let me know how you get on ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@Machinee,

Give it a go and see what happens, my guess is that the injected SoftPowerPlayTable would override Apples default behaviour but as you say the only way to know would be to give it a try.

Please let me know how you get on ...

Cheers
Jay
Yes, I believe so as well. I will play around with this in a week or so as I can't mess with the workstation right now.

Absolutely, I will report back with my results.