Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can no longer boot catalina o 840 G5 latest BIOS as well.. Catalina on opencore.
There is a way to downgrade the BIOS?
I am on latest version Q78 Ver 01.12.00 on the HP EliteBook 840 G5 - i5-8250U and I cannot book any Catalina installer. Tried all EFIs out there. Thanks.

There is a way to downgrade the BIOS?
I am on latest version Q78 Ver 01.12.00 on the HP EliteBook 840 G5 - i5-8250U and I cannot book any Catalina installer. Tried all EFIs out there. Thanks.
You can downgrade the BIOS, but in my case, that did not work, unfortunately.

I can boot Ubuntu and Win10, but not opencore anymore, since last Elitebook G5 BIOS upgrade..

Last edited:
I have 850 G5 with latest BIOS 01.12.00 and can boot into Big Sur without problem.
Do you have this patch? https://github.com/kecinzer/hpelitebook850g5-opencore/blob/master/EFI/OC/config.plist#L76
I used your great repo, but since BIOS upgrade, I did not manage to boot OC anymore with your files (they used to work pretty well, before that). Im using a 840 G5

I can boot clover, though.. Will try other configs and If nothing works, may be I will install High Sierra with clover.

Thanks for the repo, anyway. May be you could post it to Big Sur laptop guides.

I can no longer boot catalina o 840 G5 latest BIOS as well.. Catalina on opencore.
You may need to downgrade back to a compatible BIOS version. It took me a while but I managed to get all the way back to P78 Ver 1.29 for my 840 G4. Also nothing but trouble with the new Clover versions so I'm sticking with 5122 for now. 5123 and 5124 won't boot and throw errors.

I used your great repo, but since BIOS upgrade, I did not manage to boot OC anymore with your files (they used to work pretty well, before that). Im using a 840 G5

I can boot clover, though.. Will try other configs and If nothing works, may be I will install High Sierra with clover.

Thanks for the repo, anyway. May be you could post it to Big Sur laptop guides.
When you latest BIOS was released? Thats weird.
What do you mean that you can't boot? You can see OC bootmenu normaly, but it wont boot with some error?

When you latest BIOS was released? Thats weird.
What do you mean that you can't boot? You can see OC bootmenu normaly, but it wont boot with some error?

This is the latest BIOS for 840 G5:
01.12.00 Rev.A released in Aug 26th 2020

I have a dual boot machine. Win10 and Catalina on the same drive.

To boot Catalina I manually choose Opencore's Bootx64.efi file through boot menu on F10 system startup. This used to work with no issues.

But now, when I choose the file, the screen goes dark for a couple of seconds and then boot is automatically directed to Win10. I already tried combinations of downgraded BIOS and earlier builds of your repo, but no success... As I said, other OSes like ubuntu and Clover boot screen are working fine.

This is the latest BIOS for 840 G5:
01.12.00 Rev.A released in Aug 26th 2020

I have a dual boot machine. Win10 and Catalina on the same drive.

To boot Catalina I manually choose Opencore's Bootx64.efi file through boot menu on F10 system startup. This used to work with no issues.

But now, when I choose the file, the screen goes dark for a couple of seconds and then boot is automatically directed to Win10. I already tried combinations of downgraded BIOS and earlier builds of your repo, but no success... As I said, other OSes like ubuntu and Clover boot screen are working fine.
Very strange. I have the same BIOS but for 850 G5 and everything works like a charm. But I don't have any other OS.
Today i push new commit for better APCI fix of this issue (https://github.com/kecinzer/hpelite...mmit/65338feaa5d3cd005f8ba19ecc5250816d44d776). May be you can try it.

Very strange. I have the same BIOS but for 850 G5 and everything works like a charm. But I don't have any other OS.
Today i push new commit for better APCI fix of this issue (https://github.com/kecinzer/hpelite...mmit/65338feaa5d3cd005f8ba19ecc5250816d44d776). May be you can try it.

Guess what, it had nothing to do with BIOS version, but with me being dumb. I gave a though to it when you said you have only one OS.

So, I enabled OpenCore's boot picker and got to the OS selection screen. From there I was able to choose MacOs and boot just fine.

Previously, I though the system was changing to the windows bootloader by itself somehow. But actually, it was OpenCore picking the first in the list, with no visual feedback.

Thanks again for your time.

Does anyone know how to completely uninstall the Rehabman Clover installation? I'd like to switch to OpenCore but there are daemons apps and kexts installed that I would like to remove first. Any tips are much appreciated!

UPDATE: I managed to print the installation log from terminal. I then just uninstalled each element manually following the paths/locations in the log.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back