[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Motherboard
HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G1
CPU
I5 4590
Graphics
HD 4400, 1920x1080
Hello,

I have followed the guide to install macOS Catalina on my HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G1 which is on the supported list of laptop but I have a couple issues (everything else works perfectly) :

- The battery status cannot be displayed even if I try and the battery state is at 0% (battery works in Windows)
- When I unplug the power while in MacOS, MacOS crash after a couple second then restart and crash while booting.
- My touchpad isn't detected in the Trackpad of System Preference.

Sound wasn't working but I was able to make it work by changing the layout-id to 84.

Note that I am currently running internet over a USB to Ethernet adapter while I wait for my compatible Wifi card to be shipped.

Anyone is able to help me with my setup ?

I've attached the correct generated debug files.

Attachments

• debug_2869.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 56
Motherboard
HP ProBook 4440s-Clover
CPU
i5-3360M
Graphics
HD 4000, 1366x768
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Will there be a Catalina guide similar to this one?
Probably not, unless there is anyone willing to make a guide for these notebooks using updated kexts and scripts that will take into account the change that Catalina made that sets the system partition to Read-Only at bootup and other changes that I'm probably not mentioning.

Motherboard
HP elitebook 820 G3
CPU
I5-6200U
Graphics
HD 520 1366x768
Probably not, unless there is anyone willing to make a guide for these notebooks using updated kexts and scripts that will take into account the change that Catalina made that sets the system partition to Read-Only at bootup and other changes that I'm probably not mentioning.

I don’t know the changes in Catalina. Is it even possible to run a probook on Catalina fairly flawlessly? Has anyone done this already?

Motherboard
HP ProBook 6570b (Clover)
CPU
i5-3380M
Graphics
HD4000, 1600x900
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I don’t know the changes in Catalina. Is it even possible to run a probook on Catalina fairly flawlessly? Has anyone done this already?
Mine is working flawlessly basically now....

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
as long as you update your kexts and clover version, there shouldn't be an issue

Motherboard
HP ProBook 4440s-Clover
CPU
i5-3360M
Graphics
HD 4000, 1366x768
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am currently running Catalina on my HP ProBook 4440s. Had to do manual kext updates as the ones provided by this guide do not work anymore. Clover HAS to be updated to the latest version, and your folders on your ESP cleaned up before it comes stable enough for use. Mine however is a bit more unstable than Mojave but I am running a Fusion Drive configuration, which plays havoc with the laptops EFI firmware when trying to boot.

Motherboard
HP EliteBook 840 G4
CPU
i7-7600U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My trackpad is almost unusable. I get SEVERE cursor lag, jagged, choppy movement and two finger scrolling is extremely laggy, jumpy and sometimes unresponsive. Is anyone else having these issues. I thought maybe VoodooPS2Controller.kext might be the issue but not sure. Running Sierra 10.12.3 due to issues with Intel HD5500 on any higher macOS version.

UPDATE: Inexplicably the lag has vanished. I uninstalled and re-installed VoodooPS2Controller.kext and cleared the kextcache a few times. Hopefully the lag does not return:)

UPDATE 2: After waking the laptop from sleep the lag is back. Not sure what's causing it or why.

UPDATE 3: The issue seems to be a cheap replacement power supply. See

https://superuser.com/questions/367979/laptop-touchpad-response-badly-when-on-power-supply
https://superuser.com/questions/76649/laptop-touchpad-works-incorrectly-when-on-power-supply

My cheap replacement supply only has a two prong plug. The OEM HP supply is three prong and grounded. I'm on the road now but once I get back home I will confirm with the three prong OEM adapter and post here with my findings. If I unplug the cheap supply right now everything is smooth and consistent:) Sometimes you get what you pay for I guess.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-G41M-ES2L
CPU
Wolfdale 2.93 C2D E7500
Graphics
Gt 710 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am currently running Catalina on my HP ProBook 4440s. Had to do manual kext updates as the ones provided by this guide do not work anymore. Clover HAS to be updated to the latest version, and your folders on your ESP cleaned up before it comes stable enough for use. Mine however is a bit more unstable than Mojave but I am running a Fusion Drive configuration, which plays havoc with the laptops EFI firmware when trying to boot.

I have the same issue with Samsung SSD's. Its so annoying to cancel the disk scan every boot.

Motherboard
HP ProBook 4440s-Clover
CPU
i5-3360M
Graphics
HD 4000, 1366x768
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have the same issue with Samsung SSD's. Its so annoying to cancel the disk scan every boot.
Oh no, I have no issues with the actual SSD, but with the Fusion Drive configuration. I have to manually update Clover (installer won't recognize my ESP), and most of the scripts from this guide do not function, so I have to do everything manually which increases the likelihood of a failure to occur due to miss-typed commands and other things.