Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rehabman!

I've been having random kernel panics for a long time on my Probook 4730s and i finally got around to try and narrow the problem down and noticed that it's related to sleep in that the panics only happen if the laptop has been in sleep mode. I've been able to confirm this is the case by using it now for a long time without using sleep with zero panics.
The panics seem totally random in when they happen and what the reports say. I recall i didn't have this problem in Yosemite and after that i've had El Capitan, now Sierra and also did a test install of High Sierra on another hdd and the problem seems to be the same in all of these.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Attached a couple of panic pictures (no panic files in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports) and error reporting files.

Thanks
- Manaba

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Attachments

• debug_18163.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
Hmm weird, i did read it carefully and thought i had everything in there. Nevertheless, here is the autogenerated version attached.

You did not follow the guide:
- Clover is old
- ACPI/patched content is not current
- config.plist is not current
- kexts/Other is not current
- kexts installed are not current

Read post #1.
Follow all post install steps with current copy of the github project.

FYI: Do not use alternate DropTables unless you really need to. I'm not certain everything is correct (even with the guide followed) with the alternate DropTables. It was pursued with another individual months back, but that person stopped replying, so I stopped working on it.

You did not follow the guide:
- Clover is old
- ACPI/patched content is not current
- config.plist is not current
- kexts/Other is not current
- kexts installed are not current

Read post #1.
Follow all post install steps with current copy of the github project.

FYI: Do not use alternate DropTables unless you really need to. I'm not certain everything is correct (even with the guide followed) with the alternate DropTables. It was pursued with another individual months back, but that person stopped replying, so I stopped working on it.

That installation is not a new one, hence not current, but as said i have also tried High Sierra recently that had the same problem so it doesn't seem to be related to something that has changed after the date of that Sierra install since the problem is the same regardless. Although i'm not completely sure whether the problem started right from the start with El Capitan, but that's my hunch.

I'm aware that the alternate droptables aren't ideal, but i recall i couldn't get Sierra to boot without them. But with this recent High Sierra installation i noticed i needed them only in the installation phase but not in the final hdd boot, so it should be cleaner.

Here is attached the problem reporting files for the High Sierra install. Something fishy with this one as well?

Attachments

• debug_4051.zip
    2 MB · Views: 72
No ioreg in this debug dump.
Please read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" carefully and be careful to provide all files requested.

Uh, I just noticed that too. Apologies, retried.

Attachments

• debug_18457.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
That installation is not a new one, hence not current, but as said i have also tried High Sierra recently that had the same problem so it doesn't seem to be related to something that has changed after the date of that Sierra install since the problem is the same regardless. Although i'm not completely sure whether the problem started right from the start with El Capitan, but that's my hunch.

I'm aware that the alternate droptables aren't ideal, but i recall i couldn't get Sierra to boot without them. But with this recent High Sierra installation i noticed i needed them only in the installation phase but not in the final hdd boot, so it should be cleaner.

Here is attached the problem reporting files for the High Sierra install. Something fishy with this one as well?

This dump shows no KPs (eg. no recent KPs captured by the system).

I see in post #1 that the EliteBook 8x0 G4 support hasn't been tested yet. I followed the guide and managed to get High Sierra 10.13.5 running following this guide. I purchased a BCM94352Z card for WiFi / BT, will report back when it's installed.

Docking station also worked for me!

Previously had a ProBook 6560b, that worked flawlessly as well.

* Current issues:
- When using DisplayPort (on the docking station too) that the screens were duplicated instead of extended (I have to have my laptop screen closed on boot).
- Hot-plugging DisplayPort monitors does not work
- When restarting/shutting down I sometimes (not always) also get a ShutdownNVMe() kernel panic.

I attached my debug file for you, if you could help me, that'd be great. I'm also more than happy to test to get the "untested" part away from the 8x0 G4 support ;)

Uh, I just noticed that too. Apologies, retried.

The guide does not recommend MacBookPro14,3.
You should use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1.

I didn't check anything else.

The guide does not recommend MacBookPro14,3.
You should use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1.

I didn't check anything else.

Thanks, I'll try MacBookPro14,1 and report back if DisplayPort issues / KPs are fixed.

This dump shows no KPs (eg. no recent KPs captured by the system).
Where did you look for those? Did you see them somewhere in the Sierra installation debug files?
As said, for some reason my system doesn't save panic logs and i can't find any trace of them in the other logs either, but i can assure that they started appearing with High Sierra as well, in which point i decided to go back to Sierra since the problem was unchanged. That's why there is no recent problems to be seen since i haven't used it after they started appearing.

Where did you look for those?

If present (somewhere in /var/log), gen_debug.sh will automatically include them.

As said, for some reason my system doesn't save panic logs

NVRAM problem.
You should check that NVRAM is working correctly.
Sometimes, using AptioMemoryFix.efi instead of OsxAptioFix*.efi + EmuVariableUefi-64.efi can help with NRAM.
Also, if you at one time had EmuVariableUefio-64.efi, you should probably insure that you have no nvram.plist at the root of your EFI partition.

In any case, you will need to provide the KP data (either KP logs, or KP photo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back