Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome guide, got everything working, expect for one little thing:

with the config.plist file I copied to clover usb out of the config master (config.plist for Intel HD520), I get 1080p resolution in clover and startup.
with the Probook_4x0s_G3_Skylake.plist config stored in the clover efi on my internal hdd, I get the false resolution.
If I copy the .plist file from usb to internal hdd, resolution is ok, but sound etc don't work.

any ideas?
thank you in advice and nice weekend!

I went through the guide with my Pro Book a couple of times and got some things working! Pretty great how far I got in only 2 hours. But I still have some error messages when using the scripts.

There is on thing I am not sure of, when installing Clover on the HDD, should it be installed on the macOS HDD ? or the EFI partition ?

I am in doubt because later in the process one script report that /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover is not found.
And indeed in the EFI partition there is only a Apple folder.

Last edited:
I've traced the problem back to upgrading Clover to v.4259, apparently it broke Brightness patch. Reverted to v.4220 and brightness control is working properly.

Nothing wrong with v4259 as far as we know.
Attach "Problem Reporting" files using v4259.

awesome guide, got everything working, expect for one little thing:

with the config.plist file I copied to clover usb out of the config master (config.plist for Intel HD520), I get 1080p resolution in clover and startup.
with the Probook_4x0s_G3_Skylake.plist config stored in the clover efi on my internal hdd, I get the false resolution.
If I copy the .plist file from usb to internal hdd, resolution is ok, but sound etc don't work.

any ideas?
thank you in advice and nice weekend!

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

But I still have some error messages when using the scripts.

What error messages are you referring to?

There is on thing I am not sure of, when installing Clover on the HDD, should it be installed on the macOS HDD ? or the EFI partition ?

EFI partition will NOT show as a possible target.
And your question is answered in the main Clover laptop guide.
(the install target is your system partition, as it is the only possibility).

I am in doubt because later in the process one script report that /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover is not found.
And indeed in the EFI partition there is only a Apple folder.

Sounds like you didn't install Clover correctly.
Either you installed to the wrong partition, or you installed without selecting "UEFI".

Hello, after staying on High Sierra for a while on the Folio 9480m, I encountered a pretty annoying bug: idling for around 5-10 minutes and my wifi suddenly turns off by itself. I cannot turn it on unless I do a reboot. I have replaced the stock WiFi card with a Dell DW1830 which uses a BCM43602 chipset so any help is appreciated.

Also, I would like to report a few things about the Zbook G2 (Haswell) using your guide based on the feedback from the Vietnamese community. Apparently the hotpatch you used in the repo for the Zbook G2 is using audio patch for IDT 76E0 codec and using the USB customization based on the Broadwell variant which uses DeviceID 9CB1; meanwhile the actual model is using ALC280 audio codec (the same as the Broadwell variant) and using the same USB customization of the Zbook G1 Haswell with DeviceID 8C31 (not too sure if there are any G2 Haswell models out there with DeviceID 9CB1). So with the current hotpatch/files there is no audio output plus USB3.0 is broken. I tweaked the files a bit and end up with working audio (ALC 280 using layout 4), USB3.0 working with the enabled port limit patch but can't make the USB customization work. More on the USB stuff, this model also has EHC2 to I disabled it to force routing to XHC, copy pasted the UIAC Device from the Zbook G1 minus 8086:9CB1 related stuff but it doesn't seem to work.

I attach the file you need: working audio/non-working UIAC hotpatch file + fixed config.plist for audio + XHC examination IOREG

Attachments

• ZBook_G2_Haswell.zip
    588.5 KB · Views: 94
Hello, after staying on High Sierra for a while on the Folio 9480m, I encountered a pretty annoying bug: idling for around 5-10 minutes and my wifi suddenly turns off by itself. I cannot turn it on unless I do a reboot. I have replaced the stock WiFi card with a Dell DW1830 which uses a BCM43602 chipset so any help is appreciated.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, I would like to report a few things about the Zbook G2 (Haswell) using your guide based on the feedback from the Vietnamese community. Apparently the hotpatch you used in the repo for the Zbook G2 is using audio patch for IDT 76E0 codec and using the USB customization based on the Broadwell variant which uses DeviceID 9CB1; meanwhile the actual model is using ALC280 audio codec (the same as the Broadwell variant) and using the same USB customization of the Zbook G1 Haswell with DeviceID 8C31 (not too sure if there are any G2 Haswell models out there with DeviceID 9CB1). So with the current hotpatch/files there is no audio output plus USB3.0 is broken. I tweaked the files a bit and end up with working audio (ALC 280 using layout 4), USB3.0 working with the enabled port limit patch but can't make the USB customization work. More on the USB stuff, this model also has EHC2 to I disabled it to force routing to XHC, copy pasted the UIAC Device from the Zbook G1 minus 8086:9CB1 related stuff but it doesn't seem to work.

I attach the file you need: working audio/non-working UIAC hotpatch file + fixed config.plist for audio + XHC examination IOREG

I think I'll just make a separate config for Zbook g2 haswell with ALC280:
config_ZBook_G2_Haswell_ALC280.plist

And also a separate SSDT, SSDT-ZBook-G2-Haswell-ALC280.aml, with appropriate install_ script in install_acpi.sh.

The USB config can be added as it is possible have multiple XHC configs in a single file (by device-id). And I'll refactor the EH01/EH02 disable code such that it is a #include from the model specific SSDT. Shares code and easier to change per model.

Note that EH01/EH02 existence may depend on specific BIOS settings or even BIOS version.

What error messages are you referring to?
EFI partition will NOT show as a possible target.
And your question is answered in the main Clover laptop guide.
(the install target is your system partition, as it is the only possibility).

Sounds like you didn't install Clover correctly.
Either you installed to the wrong partition, or you installed without selecting "UEFI".

You were right, I did it again and it worked out great.

Am I the only one who has no mute function ? Only volume up and down ?

Nothing wrong with v4259 as far as we know.
Attach "Problem Reporting" files using v4259.
Using v4259, brightness control is present in System Preferences panel, functional keys and brightness visual indicator are working but brightness itself doesn't change. Please find attached the requested info.

P.S. It may not help but anyway... the booting seems visually different with v4259 the brightness is dimmed at about 1/4 of the progress indicator, with 4220 brightness stood on max until about 4/5 of the progress bar and then was dimmed.

Attachments

• attachment.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back