Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @RehabMan. I would like to get another ProBook. Which one would you recommend that would be equally as compatible as the trusty 4530s?
Thank you.

Never had a ProBook before, but bought a ProBook 450 G5, because of rehabmans unequaled experience and support here, which works 100% incl. iMessage and AirDrop. and the best thing to me is, it is 99% of the time completely silent when browsing the web, streaming full-hd video and office work. nothing more annoying to me then a fan spinning from time to time when idleing. only when using calculation intensive tasks like DAW work the fan will (of course) spin up, and still it is decently silent. win10 on the same machine is louder for the same tasks, lol, meaning the fan spins a lil bit more often.
so i bet for the next notebook i will look at a probook first, or an ARM-based machine, lets see the way apple is heading.

cheerio!

Last edited:
Never had a ProBook before, but bought a ProBook 450 G5, because of rehabmans unequaled experience and support here, which works 100% incl. iMessage and AirDrop. and the best thing to me is, it is 99% of the time completely silent when browsing the web, streaming full-hd video and office work. nothing more annoying to me then a fan spinning from time to time when idleing. only when using calculation intensive tasks like DAW work the fan will (of course) spin up, and still it is decently silent. win10 on the same machine is louder for the same tasks, lol, meaning the fan spins a lil bit more often.
so i bet for the next notebook i will look at a probook first, or an ARM-based machine, lets see the way apple is heading.

cheerio!
I don't see see a config.plist file for it in rehabman's repository.

I don't see see a config.plist file for it in rehabman's repository.

Really?
Note:
Code:
NUC6i7KYK:probook.git rehabman$ ls -l config |grep -y g5
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rehabman  staff  22324 Apr 27 05:54 config_4x0s_G5_Kabylake-R.plist

Really?
Note:
Code:
NUC6i7KYK:probook.git rehabman$ ls -l config |grep -y g5
-rwxr-xr-x  1 rehabman  staff  22324 Apr 27 05:54 config_4x0s_G5_Kabylake-R.plist
Yep. I missed that. I neglected to look at the probook.git on my laptop. Any significance of the "s" in the config.plist name(s) for the applicability of your hotpatch Guide? Sorry if that is a dumb question. Thank you.

Yep. I missed that. I neglected to look at the probook.git on my laptop. Any significance of the "s" in the config.plist name(s) for the applicability of your hotpatch Guide? Sorry if that is a dumb question. Thank you.

The 's' has no significance (just habit).

cheerio!
@w00ta A few of questions. 1) Did you have to replace the WiFi card? If so, which one did you get it? 2) Any issue with following RehabMan's Guide? My current ProBook install/upgrade was straight forward following Guide. 3) Are you dual-booting? If so, same SSD, if not how? Thank you.

@w00ta A few of questions. 1) Did you have to replace the WiFi card? If so, which one did you get it? 2) Any issue with following RehabMan's Guide? My current ProBook install/upgrade was straight forward following Guide. 3) Are you dual-booting? If so, same SSD, if not how? Thank you.

1. Yes, replaced with a BCM94352Z, as suggested by RehabMan in post #1 here. Original Realtek one isn't supported by macOS. Initially wanted to try the BCM943602BAED (because cheaper and maybe more compatible with macOS), also mentioned in post #1, but that one didn't fit into my laptop due to it being 2 mm larger in size (same connector of course, just larger PCB).

2. From my experience I would suggest trying the exact guide by RehabMan maybe several times if necessary, if it don't work at first. it was always user error when something didn't work for me :) so heads up, just follow the guide and keep going ;)

3. yes, dual booting win10 and 10.13.4 from different drives. thats because I found running macOS from the built-in intel 600p nvme ssd buggy - and didn't wanna bother RehabMan ;) - but some ppl here will mabye testify running macOS from (unsupported) nvme's might cause trouble, but maybe it was all user error again... I just got some (to me) weird kernel panics running macOS from the nvme - always it was some apple-nvme.xxxx.kext related crash. but maybe this driver was just the symptom and not the cause of these KP. anyways, I found it more feasible to run 10.13.4 from a sata-ssd I've put additionally in and since then not one KP. the original nvme behaves well booting win10. and I installed 10.13.4 with HFS, not APFS.

btw, been dual-booting windows and OSX from the same drive for several years on a different hackintosh, no trouble at all.

good luck and cheerio!

Last edited:
1. Yes, replaced with a BCM94352Z, as suggested by RehabMan in post #1 here. Original Realtek one isn't supported by macOS. Initially wanted to try the BCM943602BAED (because cheaper and maybe more compatible with macOS), also mentioned in post #1, but that one didn't fit into my laptop due to it being 2 mm larger in size (same connector of course, just larger PCB).

2. From my experience I would suggest trying the exact guide by RehabMan maybe several times if necessary, if it don't work at first. it was always user error when something didn't work for me :) so heads up, just follow the guide and keep going ;)

3. yes, dual booting win10 and 10.13.4 from different drives. thats because I found running macOS from the built-in intel 600p nvme ssd buggy - and didn't wanna bother RehabMan ;) - but some ppl here will mabye testify running macOS from (unsupported) nvme's might cause trouble, but maybe it was all user error again... I just got some (to me) weird kernel panics running macOS from the nvme - always it was some apple-nvme.xxxx.kext related crash. but maybe this driver was just the symptom and not the cause of these KP. anyways, I found it more feasible to run 10.13.4 from a sata-ssd I've put additionally in and since then not one KP. the original nvme behaves well booting win10. and I installed 10.13.4 with HFS, not APFS.

btw, been dual-booting windows and OSX from the same drive for several years on a different hackintosh, no trouble at all.

good luck and cheerio!
So just to verify, the laptop has one PCIe NVMe M.2 and one SATA connector? Did Windows came installed on the PCIe drive?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back