Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could try layout-id 7 instead of layout-id 5.
Look in the SSDT-4x0-G3-Skylake.aml (it is the data that follows the first layout-id inside the _DSM for HDEF).

Also... you should be using the beta branch...

Ok.. this freezes me. I've found something in SSDT-4x0-G3-Skylake.aml but I can't recognise what I need and where to put it..
:(

Ok.. this freezes me. I've found something in SSDT-4x0-G3-Skylake.aml but I can't recognise what I need and where to put it..
:(

You should see something like this in the SSDT:
Code:
            "layout-id", 
            Buffer (0x04)
            {
                 0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                        
            },

The 0x05 is the layout-id. For your audio codec it can be either 5 or 7. So you can change to 7 and try it.

I already replied regarding the files you attached there.

You did not provide updated "Problem Reporting" files after you (supposedly) changed to using IntelBacklight.kext.

I never made any such suggestion.
My suggestion was IntelBacklight.kext + "Brightness" by bergdesign.

You need to learn to read carefully.

You're right. My bad. Did not saw IntelBacklight...

But nevertheless I did not start using IntelBacklight. I just removed AppleBacklight. I do not need to add IntelBacklight. For me the brightness with BKLT=1 and removed AppleBacklightInjector is working just fine.

So currently I would say all works great, except for the lid close sleep issue. I will try the different SMBIOS setting and will report as soon as I have news on that.

Thank you.

Interesting that the "restart shortly after shutdown" is fixed... I didn't think I did anything to fix that...

The laptop has gone back to my neighbor, but I could probably borrow it again...

Attached is the EFI I was last using (without themes).
It is Clover r4052, and the ACPI/patched content is result of using the 'consolidate' branch.

Here are a few comments regarding the ProBook 440 G4 when I had it:
- USB-C not tested (I have no USB-C devices, no USB-C adapter)
- CMOS reset happened during an installation attempt (early on), maybe AppleRTC patch in Clover is not working with 10.12.4
- managed to get the BIOS stuck in a state that nothing can be changed (not even the admin password). The BIOS seems buggy. I may try a CMOS reset later and see if it fixes...
- intermittent problem where Clover would stick *before* the "+++++". This was correlated with a quick Clover launch from BIOS. In the case Clover came up right away (1 second), boot would fail (no "++++"). In the case Clover took longer (3 seconds), boot would work (would get "++++", followed shortly by boot process). This 440 G4 has a single RAM stick instead of dual, so that may have something to do with it.
Yeah bios seems buggy same thing i observed with hp probook 450 g3, still having issues with EmuVariableUefi-64 when installed it affects even terminal performance for example can't install a kext without entering password almost 4 times when i remove it i only enter password only once,.. Guess restart after power off was something to do with USB settings, 450 has a dual ram support, boot time is slow even with fast boot enabled

You're right. My bad. Did not saw IntelBacklight...

But nevertheless I did not start using IntelBacklight. I just removed AppleBacklight. I do not need to add IntelBacklight. For me the brightness with BKLT=1 and removed AppleBacklightInjector is working just fine.

So currently I would say all works great, except for the lid close sleep issue. I will try the different SMBIOS setting and will report as soon as I have news on that.

Thank you.

Without the AppleBacklightInjector.kext, you will not get full brightness range.
You should follow the guide in post #1, as written, using the 'beta' repo.

Yeah bios seems buggy same thing i observed with hp probook 450 g3, still having issues with EmuVariableUefi-64 when installed it affects even terminal performance for example can't install a kext without entering password almost 4 times when i remove it i only enter password only once,.. Guess restart after power off was something to do with USB settings, 450 has a dual ram support, boot time is slow even with fast boot enabled

You should clear your NVRAM...
And clear it both using EmuVariableUefi-64.efi (+ RC scripts) and without.
To clear NVRAM: sudo nvram -c

Clearing with EmuVariable will clear nvram.plist.
Where clearing it without may help clear native UEFI NVRAM.
You should probably also check what you have in NVRAM with the UEFI shell...

I figured the restart after shutdown issue was with USB, but unfortunately due to bugs in BIOS, I could never succeed in changing anything (other than what I changed originally, to turn secure boot off).

I'll probably try a CMOS reset (at least an EC reset), if my neighbor doesn't mind me tacking the laptop apart...

But yeah, the BIOS sure seems ultra buggy in these new HP laptops...

You should see something like this in the SSDT:
Code:
            "layout-id",
            Buffer (0x04)
            {
                 0x05, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                       
            },

The 0x05 is the layout-id. For your audio codec it can be either 5 or 7. So you can change to 7 and try it.

Thanks for the instructions,
I've checked SSDT-4x0-G3-Skylake.aml in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and there was already the id 7

RehabMan I updated laptop #2 to the beta branch and brightness works fine.

In summary all 3 of these laptops work fine on your beta branch:
Laptop#0: HP EliteBook 850 G3 V1H16UT, i5-6200U Skylake, HD520 1920x1080, Bios 01.13, BCM943602BAED, 10.12.4
Laptop#1: HP ProBook 650 G1 g8l26us, i5-4300m Haswell, HD4600 1920x1080, Bios 01.39 Rev.A, 43225HMB, 10.12.4
Laptop#2: HP EliteBook 8460p QU759US, i5-2520m Sandy Bridge, HD3000, 1366x768, Bios F.64 Rev.A, 43224HMS, 10.12.4

Thanks for the instructions,
I've checked SSDT-4x0-G3-Skylake.aml in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and there was already the id 7

Current code in the repo uses layout-id 7 for that model.
Both 7 and 5 are valid.
You should try each.

RehabMan I updated laptop #2 to the beta branch and brightness works fine.

In summary all 3 of these laptops work fine on your beta branch:
Laptop#0: HP EliteBook 850 G3 V1H16UT, i5-6200U Skylake, HD520 1920x1080, Bios 01.13, BCM943602BAED, 10.12.4
Laptop#1: HP ProBook 650 G1 g8l26us, i5-4300m Haswell, HD4600 1920x1080, Bios 01.39 Rev.A, 43225HMB, 10.12.4
Laptop#2: HP EliteBook 8460p QU759US, i5-2520m Sandy Bridge, HD3000, 1366x768, Bios F.64 Rev.A, 43224HMS, 10.12.4

Great. Thanks for testing.

Note: I'm working on a big update in the 'consolidate' branch. Nothing really new there, but a total reorganization of the SSDTs (so only a few SSDTs in ACPI/patched). It also has some changes to the build process to make it easier for me to manage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back