Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook 430 G6 (Whiskey Lake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and it works fine on Windows because of dithering. But it seems disabled on MacOs for some reason (My guess is that Macs have good displays on Skylake+ and Apple don't care about it anymore).

And the interesting thing if we can enable it in Intel drivers somehow...

Last edited:
Hello! I want a hp probook 440 g6, and as i see it is similar to yours, but i ave a question, why fans is not working? It will be problem if cpu work hard, it will throttle i think. Sorry for my bad english

This is cheap matrix. This is not a bug. It just can not display all of 32bit colors. I use professional external display because of that.
Why the heck people replay when they have no clue?
You can clearly tell it's a software bug because booting with fakeid disabling acceleration gives you proper colours.
I had this color banding issue in my probook g5, solved with fakeid to skylake gpu. lost h265 10 bit support this way though, but don't care as i do no video editing.
I also have this issue on a Elitebook 8770w (professional display, meant for graphic works) on a Quadro K3000 but i never figured out the solution.

Do you see how the gradient isn't smooth, but actually has bands of different colors? It's called banding (and it's not caused by my camera). It is most noticeable on Launchpad/Mission Control because of blur and transparency, but it happens on any gradient (UI, media playback, desktop background).
Depending on ig-platform-id configuration it can get worse, this is the best I could manage so far. Some people seem to have solved it by patching EDID, but I've tried several different patches to no success. This was not a problem on Windows, and is not a problem on either display on my desktop hackintosh.

View attachment 433719
Try to use the patch-edid ruby from GitHub to create a display override , you'll need to edit the script that the internal screen will be used instead an external monitor. This script was created for external displays or you remove the detecting class and insert your edid manually to this script.

I would link this here but I'm posting over my phone best regards

Try to use the patch-edid ruby from GitHub to create a display override , you'll need to edit the script that the internal screen will be used instead an external monitor. This script was created for external displays or you remove the detecting class and insert your edid manually to this script.

I would link this here but I'm posting over my phone best regards
Just tried it but unfortunately doesn't work.

Is it normal practice to have somewhat fuzzy fonts on FHD screens like on ProBooks? Antialiasing settings are set to defaults.
1.png

Last edited:
I havent used clover where do I get VirtualSMC.kext, RealtekRTL8111.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext?

Is it normal practice to have somewhat fuzzy fonts on FHD screens like on ProBooks? Antialiasing settings are set to defaults.
Are you at native resolution? Or using HiDPI scaling? I didn't like how fonts (and the overall UI) looked with the latter.

Also, you can toggle font smoothing in System Preferences > General, see if it makes a difference for you.

Are you at native resolution? Or using HiDPI scaling? I didn't like how fonts (and the overall UI) looked with the latter.

Also, you can toggle font smoothing in System Preferences > General, see if it makes a difference for you.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, native resolution. I tried to play with HiDPI (1600x900) but I don't like how it looks.
Also tried to change settings like you've suggested and also tried to adjust antialiasing with commands:
Code:
defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1/2/3

But default settings seems the best for me. I just wanted to know how fonts look on other similar setups.

On System UI/browsers its not a problem but in IDEs and other text editors it's not comfortable for eyes. But at the moment I dealt with it just by changing the font and color scheme:
Снимок экрана 2019-12-08 в 13.02.50.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back