Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook 430 G6 (Whiskey Lake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI @antonio765, I have a laptop just like yours, maybe you could do me the favor of helping me with a copy of your EFI partition, I have had many problems with the video interface, constant kernel panic and reboot of the equipment.

In my case the problem did original NVMe SSD. When I replace it with Samsung 970 EVO, kernel panic gone.

Does anyone have problems with colors? I mean color banding issue. I'm using device-id and frame buffer from this guide.
Yup, I tried a lot of different settings but haven't managed to fix it yet. Tried patching and injecting many different EDIDs and a few framebuffer variations but no success.

Same here. I've found that using of 0x3E9B0009 FB can decrease color banding by 20-30 perc. but no more than that. Annoying issue.

Did you try to spoof Skylake as other people did for Kaby?
Is this even possible for Whiskey?

Same here. I've found that using of 0x3E9B0009 FB can decrease color banding by 20-30 perc. but no more than that. Annoying issue.

Did you try to spoof Skylake as other people did for Kaby?
Is this even possible for Whiskey?

It seems that the most fundamental solution is to change the screen. I have a friend who has tried it.

This is a pretty radical solution to the problem. But its software problem isn't it?
Ther is no any colors problem when hardware acceleration is off.

Yup, I tried a lot of different settings but haven't managed to fix it yet. Tried patching and injecting many different EDIDs and a few framebuffer variations but no success.

Build-in monitor works for me like a charm. HDMI port attached FullHD monitor also works just great.

As for USB Type-C, I tried usb-c2hdmi hub and it works with glitches.

Can you make a photo or video that shows what you are talking about?

Can you make a photo or video that shows what you are talking about?
Do you see how the gradient isn't smooth, but actually has bands of different colors? It's called banding (and it's not caused by my camera). It is most noticeable on Launchpad/Mission Control because of blur and transparency, but it happens on any gradient (UI, media playback, desktop background).
Depending on ig-platform-id configuration it can get worse, this is the best I could manage so far. Some people seem to have solved it by patching EDID, but I've tried several different patches to no success. This was not a problem on Windows, and is not a problem on either display on my desktop hackintosh.

IMG_8873.JPG

I guess some people have 6-bit screen (checked this on windows), and its the real issue.
On WhateverGreen docs I saw the following:

Code:
// Equal to AAPL00,LinkFormat = 0 (0 - 6 bits, 1 - 8 bits)
// Most laptop displays do not support 24-bit (32) colour but only 18-bit.
// This property must be used if you see "gradient" glitches.
"@0,display-link-component-bits",
Buffer () {
0x06, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

But this example is for Radeon cards. Maybe Integrated Intel has something similar?

This is cheap matrix. This is not a bug. It just can not display all of 32bit colors. I use professional external display because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back