UHD 620, 1920x1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
13dc7da5-2644-46dd-9d36-8d2e40b3769b-png.206452

Hardware
- CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz
- GPU build-in Intel HD Graphics 520. Works for me. HDMI video works out of the box, I attached a Full HD monitor (1920x1080) and it works just fine. GPU consumes 1.5Gb of memory, I found no way to reduce this amount so far. Later I attached one more monitor using VGA slot, all the three monitors are working fine together.
- RAM 4Gb DDR4 was replaced with 2x8Gb DDR4 Kingston ValueRAM KVR21S15D8/8 2133 MHz, 17000 Mb/s.
- Hard drive. For testing purposes I used 500Gb HDD which comes with laptop and works out of the box.
- Ethernet. RealtekRTL8111.kext works for me.
- WiFi Intel 3165 - known to be unsupported. Replaced with Dell DW1560 (chipset Broadcom BCM94352Z). Everything except AirDrop seems to be working. I published notes about AirDrop a separate thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/airdrop.203219/
- Keyboard and touchpad requires additional driver (see below)
- WebCamera [04f2:b51d] Chicony works (detected as a USB device)
- Fingerprint Reader. [138a:003f] Validity Sensors, Inc. VFS495 - I have no clue how to make it work. And I don't really need it.
- Card Reader Realtek RTS522A [10ec:522a] - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ek-rtsx-sdhc-card-readers/page-3#entry2376387
- Audio [8086:9d70] Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio, Codecs: Conexant CX20724, Intel Skylake HDMI. Work for me (both).
- Bluetooth [8087:0a2a] works (detected as a USB device)
- VT-x works (Note: need to disable 3d acceleration in vmware fusion to avoid crashes)

Before you start
1) Update BIOS to the latest version. You can find self-extracting archive files here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-430-g3-notebook-pc/7834547 Today the latest BIOS version available is v1.17. UPDATE: due to vulnerabilities found in Intel processors, it is strongly recommended to update BIOS to version 01.24 Rev.A or later.
2) Set video memory size in BIOS to 64MB
3) Enable "Launch Hotkeys without Fn keypress" in BIOS settings. This will let you use volume buttons in the top of your keyboard.
4) There is one more option "Swap Fn and Ctrl (Keys)" which seems to be designed for mac users. I prefer to turn it on.

Install instructions:
1) Get Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app to your /Applications folder https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra-beta/id1209167288?mt=12
2) Format flash drive like that
Code:
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 GPT JHFS+ HighSierraInstallUSB 0b
3) Copy files:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/HighSierraInstallUSB --applicationpath  /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra\ Beta.app --nointeraction
now you have a macOS installation USB stick. Next we'll make it compatible with PCs.
4) Get the latest Clover from Sourceforge and install it to the USB stick like that:
Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 11.36.08 AM.png

5) Move kexts from EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
6) Boot using this USB stick and install macOS
7) Reboot, use USB stick to boot your fresh operating system
8) install clover to your hard drive as you did it above with USB stick. Basic options are:
- Install for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP
- Drivers64UEFI > CsmVideoDxe-64 (Clover needs it to switch to screen resolution 1366x768)
- Drivers64UEFI > OsxAptioFix2Drv-64

(Optional) An if you want to save some options like keyboard brightness or sound level during reboot, you need NVRAM. For this reason you may need to add two more options:
- Drivers64UEFI > EmuVariableUefi-64
- Install RC scripts on target volume
And in this case you'll need to reboot twice (daemon will be launched during the first reboot)

Note 1: if you choose to use new APFS filesystem, you'll have to add apfs.efi driver to EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.
Note 2: Do NOT use Multibeast. Install vanilla Clover.
Note 3: I used USB mouse and keyboard to complete the installation because build-in input devices were not recognized

Audio notes (optional)
Now you have a bootable instance of macOS, so let's make a short break.

The reason for this manual to happen is that I had some issues with Rehabman's scripts (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/). The issue is that this bunch of scripts contains Mirone's audio codec. This codec make friends with HDMI but doesn't make friends with audio jack. First of all I never use my HDMI monitor as audio output device. But it does not behave well during sleep, sometimes macOS just crashes instead of sleep and I suspect this is due to this HDMI audio.

Thus I decided to give a try to AppleALC. The result was exactly as I expected. MacOS does not recognize HDMI as an audio output device and audio jack works like a charm.

If you want to use alternative audio driver, you need to apply the patch attached during next step. Also you'll have to update Lilu.kext and set layout id to 3 in config.plist.

Just change 7 to 5 here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProB...b/master/hotpatch/include/layout7_HDEF.asl#L9

Post Installation:
IMPORTANT! Backup original AppleHDA.kext. Rehabman's scrips overwrite it, so you'll have to reinstall macOS from scratch in case you'd like to give a try to AppleALC.
- Build a bunch of kexts and install them like that:
Code:
mkdir ~/Projects
cd ~/Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch probook.git
cd ~/Projects/probook.git
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
- I assume that you have copied SSDTs with EFI folder, but if you haven't, than build and install them:
Code:
cd ~/Projects/probook.git
./build.sh
./install_acpi.sh install_4x0g3_skylake
- copy config
Code:
cp config/config_4x0s_G3_Skylake.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
- Reboot, clean kext cache:
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
I had to reboot twice before patched AppleHDA.kext was recognized.

Final screenshot:

About This Mac.png

Final Tuning:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo pmset -a standby 0
sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
Setting all of these parameters to zero should disable sleep image file completely due to pmset man page

Attachments

• hardware-info.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 592
  • ProBook430G3.patch.zip
    2 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
Thanks share.

Internal Keyboard & Mouse will work if you have VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on your USB stick and on your HDD ESP partition. Audio should also work if you patch your config.plist correctly with proper codecs and also have CodecCommander.kext installed. This guide relies heavily on RehabMan's HP Probook guide linked here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/.

Also VT-x works, but you gotta make sure you disable VT-d to prevent problems. My HP ProBook 4x40s is similar in nature but older (using Ivy-Bridge instead of Haswell), but everything works out of the box, including audio, keyboard/mouse, wifi, bluetooth, and 3D graphics.

Furthermore, the config.plist included in your EFI.zip is missing ALOT of required patches required for everything to function properly (audio especially). Hate to say it, but I would rather use RehabMan's El Capitan guide to get this laptop up and running and then upgrade to Sierra and then test High Sierra.

Last edited:
Internal Keyboard & Mouse will work if you have VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other on your USB stick and on your HDD ESP partition. Audio should also work if you patch your config.plist correctly with proper codecs and also have CodecCommander.kext installed. This guide relies heavily on RehabMan's HP Probook guide linked here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/.

Yes and no. Rehabman did a really great job. Using his manual I was able to make work every piece of hardware except audio jack and card reader. That's why I decided to make a separate manual for one single particular laptop and one single major release of macOS.

Furthermore, the config.plist included in your EFI.zip is missing ALOT of required patches required for everything to function properly (audio especially). Hate to say it, but I would rather use RehabMan's El Capitan guide to get this laptop up and running and then upgrade to Sierra and then test High Sierra.

Right you are. I will upload an update soon.

Note that the main Probook guide has two choices for audio layout-id (5 and 7).
layout-id 5 is Mirone
layout-id 7 is InsanelyDeepak version, extracted from AppleALC

Note that the main Probook guide has two choices for audio layout-id (5 and 7).
layout-id 5 is Mirone
layout-id 7 is InsanelyDeepak version, extracted from AppleALC
May be I'm doing something wrong, but I was trying both 5 and 7 and there was no difference. I specified the id in config.plist like that:
Code:
    <key>Devices</key>
   <dict>
       <key>Audio</key>
       <dict>
           <key>Inject</key>
           <string>7</string>
       </dict>

As for AppleALC, it works for me with layout 3 specified in same way.

May be I'm doing something wrong, but I was trying both 5 and 7 and there was no difference. I specified the id in config.plist like that:
Code:
    <key>Devices</key>
   <dict>
       <key>Audio</key>
       <dict>
           <key>Inject</key>
           <string>7</string>
       </dict>

As for AppleALC, it works for me with layout 3 specified in same way.

The ProBook guide does not use config.plist to inject the audio layout-id.
It is injected by the model specific SSDT with HDEF._DSM.

The ProBook guide does not use config.plist to inject the audio layout-id.
It is injected by the model specific SSDT with HDEF._DSM.

Well, this is a really good piece of news because it explains why I failed to switch to layout 7. However I have to confess that I haven't understood how to specify layout ID through SSDT. Could you please explain for mentally disabled, please? :)

Well, this is a really good piece of news because it explains why I failed to switch to layout 7. However I have to confess that I haven't understood how to specify layout ID through SSDT. Could you please explain for mentally disabled, please? :)

Look at the model specific SSDT (yours should be SSDT-4x0-G3-Skylake.aml).
Search for layout-id.
Should be obvious from that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back