Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Pavilion 15-AB216TX Catalina using OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know if you have any good recommendations for supported wifi / bt card.
Which Wi-Fi module is currently installed?

Cheaper option is Intel Wi-Fi (with limited speed), should be fine if you don't need high bandwidth. Most recent Intel modules are supported, you can check detailed Compatibility list along with Device Ids in Itlwm Documentation

Broadcom Modules are proffered for better speed, I currently have Dell DW-1830 (BCM943602BAED), DW-1560 is also supported with some patches. Check AirportBrcmFixup for other Supported Device Ids.
Can I use any wifi card I find?
No.
By the way, the kext you told me to use to fix low brightness on boot didn't fix the issue :/
I'm not sure about the issue, or how to fix it.

Hi, chilledHamza,
I tried to boot Catalina using your EFI (from downloaded OC RequiredFiles).
The attempt stops quickly, the screen is below. Could you please tell me what I have wrong.
Previous booting with your clover bootloader worked very well. Unfortunately, due to the disk failure
I lost all my previous copies of Catalina Clover EFI's. Can you give me the link to your last Catalina Clover
EFI so that I couls download it again. Thank you very much - Henryk

IMG_0126.JPG

Hi, chilledHamza,
I tried to boot Catalina using your EFI (from downloaded OC RequiredFiles).
The attempt stops quickly, the screen is below. Could you please tell me what I have wrong.
Previous booting with your clover bootloader worked very well. Unfortunately, due to the disk failure
I lost all my previous copies of Catalina Clover EFI's. Can you give me the link to your last Catalina Clover
EFI so that I couls download it again. Thank you very much - Henryk

View attachment 529479
I do have Clover backup somewhere, I'll attach a copy (don't forget to generate new serials and replace those in config).

OpenCore: The issue in screenshot normally happens when "AppleCpuPmCfgLock" is not enabled in config.plist (workaround for CFG-Lock BIOS setting). There are a few other reasons but CFG-Lock is most common. You can check Dortania | Kernel Issues | Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] for details.

I don't have that laptop anymore so i cannot update attached EFI but it used to work fine for my laptop. There have been many updates to OpenCore and kernel extensions, and i believe attached OpenCore build is not compatible with macOS Big Sur so it needs some modifications.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 102
I do have Clover backup somewhere, I'll attach a copy (don't forget to generate new serials and replace those in config).

OpenCore: The issue in screenshot normally happens when "AppleCpuPmCfgLock" is not enabled in config.plist (workaround for CFG-Lock BIOS setting). There are a few other reasons but CFG-Lock is most common. You can check Dortania | Kernel Issues | Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] for details.

I don't have that laptop anymore so i cannot update attached EFI but it used to work fine for my laptop. There have been many updates to OpenCore and kernel extensions, and i believe attached OpenCore build is not compatible with macOS Big Sur so it needs some modifications.

I'd like to thank you very much for the prompt reply. I have to digest your hints, so it may take some time before I get some results.
Thank you very much again,
Henryk

Hi again,
Thank you once more for your help. I did check mentioned by you Dostania guide and after changing only two Quirks I have successfully booted Catalina (I can also boot this Catalina with Clover). Unfortunately those changes are not enough to boot Big Sur 11.5.2.
Regards,
Henryk

Unfortunately those changes are not enough to boot Big Sur
Basically you need to update OpenCore and kernel Extensions to make it work with Big Sur. kernel extensions are easy, just have to replace files in Kexts folder with newer version. OpenCore is little complicated have to replace OpenCore files with newer and also modify/update config.plist according to new configuration manual (you can use ocvalidate utility to check updated config for errors).

If above instructions are too complicated then Share your OpenCore EFI (or the quirks that worked for you), and i'll try to update it for macOS Big Sur.

Basically you need to update OpenCore and kernel Extensions to make it work with Big Sur. kernel extensions are easy, just have to replace files in Kexts folder with newer version. OpenCore is little complicated have to replace OpenCore files with newer and also modify/update config.plist according to new configuration manual (you can use ocvalidate utility to check updated config for errors).

If above instructions are too complicated then Share your OpenCore EFI (or the quirks that worked for you), and i'll try to update it for macOS Big Sur.
Below I enclose the corrected EFI which works fine with Catalina but when booting Big Sur it stops at exactly the same error: Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] despite the applied corrections.
I would be extremely grateful if you could try to update this EFI for macOS Big Sur.
Anyway, I will try to learn OC more and try to do it myself, although at the moment it looks a little bit intimidating.
Thank you very much for all your help.
Regards,
Henryk

Attachments

• Changes_in_Config_plist.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 79
  • EFI_corrected.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
chilledHamza said:

Hello again, I have made a new EFI using OC 0.7.4. For ACPI I made essential SSDT's by SSDTTime and also I loaded the most recent kexts + I modified the necessary Quirks to correct the problems with EC lock.
The booting process of Big Sur starts but unfortunately after a number of steps stops due to a panic. I must have missed something important. Could you find a spare minute to look at the enclosed dump of the screen and my EFI directory. Thank you very much for any help, hints and suggestions. Regards, Henryk

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 102
  • OC074BigSur_Booting.jpg.zip
    115.7 KB · Views: 81
Hello again, I have made a new EFI using OC 0.7.4. For ACPI I made essential SSDT's by SSDTTime and also I loaded the most recent kexts + I modified the necessary Quirks to correct the problems with EC lock.
The booting process of Big Sur starts but unfortunately after a number of steps stops due to a panic. I must have missed something important. Could you find a spare minute to look at the enclosed dump of the screen and my EFI directory. Thank you very much for any help, hints and suggestions. Regards, Henryk
Try attached OpenCore EFI. post screenshot/picture of any error message you get or kernel panic.

About above mentioned Quirks that worked for you..
EnableWriteUnprotector is already set to True and SyncRuntimePermissions is set to True (needed for Windows) in config.plist from Post #1.

AppleXcpmCfgLock is already set to True (CFG-Lock workaround), AppleCpuPmCfgLock is only needed for macOS Yosemite 10.10.x or older.

TL;DR : I'm not sure which specific Quirk actually worked for your laptop.

Attachments

• EFI_OC-v0.7.4.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 106
Try attached OpenCore EFI. post screenshot/picture of any error message you get or kernel panic.

About above mentioned Quirks that worked for you..
EnableWriteUnprotector is already set to True and SyncRuntimePermissions is set to True (needed for Windows) in config.plist from Post #1.

AppleXcpmCfgLock is already set to True (CFG-Lock workaround), AppleCpuPmCfgLock is only needed for macOS Yosemite 10.10.x or older.

TL;DR : I'm not sure which specific Quirk actually worked for your laptop.
The attached above EFI_OC-v0.7.4 produces totally blank screen from the very start. No error or other messages at all.
Thanks, Henryk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back