Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Pavilion 15-AB216TX Catalina using OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed that with the efi you gave me here I get this error before opencore loads the boot menu (the os still boots fine though)
What is the version of OpenCore?

try attached config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.3 KB · Views: 103
By the way, I get this error when I try to update opencore and unlike the previous error, the os won't boot at all (I just see apple logo without progress bar)
you need to update config.plist accordingly, read OpenCore documentation and changelog, compare you current config.plist with included Sample.plist

*Edit: DummyPowerManagement Property was moved form Kernel -> Quirks to Kernel -> Emulate

Last edited:
you need to update config.plist accordingly, read OpenCore documentation and changelog, compare you current config.plist with included Sample.plist

*Edit: DummyPowerManagement Property was moved form Kernel -> Quirks to Kernel -> Emulate
I'm trying to understand how to compare but am a little confused. Should I update sample.plist with the things it said were missing from it or should I update my config.plist with the things it said were missing from it?

@chilledHamza Well, I tried to match the sample.plist with my old config.plist and then used it but I kept getting errors for some kexts which I didn't have so I removed them from kernel -> add in config.plist and then when I tried to see if it solved the issue I got another error which I'm not sure what it means

Attachments

• PXL_20201110_082348797.MV~2.jpg
    PXL_20201110_082348797.MV~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 96
@chilledHamza Sorry for tagging you again and again by the way xD

Well, I fixed the opencore issue. The dim boot screen issue was caused by ssdt-pnlf and I solved it by replacing it with ssdt-pnlf-cfl. Well, I'm not sure if I can say fixed because even though ssdt-pnlf-cfl fixed my dim boot screen issue, it also broke the brightness controls. I mean, I can still control brightness but only the first 7 levels make a change and if I continue to press the brightness up levels it's already full brightness but the bar adds more levels. Hope you understood what I meant. Any idea how to fix this?

@chilledHamza Hello, I am back again with a problem. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix battery status. Can you please check my problem reporting files.
I learnt and applied all the patches as told by you and rehabman's guide, still no success though.

Attachments

• madd22 problem reporting.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 82
I'm trying to understand how to compare but am a little confused. Should I update sample.plist with the things it said were missing from it or should I update my config.plist with the things it said were missing from it?
Basically, you were using config.plist that was configured for some other version of OpenCore. Each new version changes a few configs or changes/renames the key/attribute. So, you have to update old config.plist according to new OpenCore documentation. OpenCore Sanity Checker can be a little handy for parsing config.plist, but don't rely on it too much.
@chilledHamza Sorry for tagging you again and again by the way xD

Well, I fixed the opencore issue. The dim boot screen issue was caused by ssdt-pnlf and I solved it by replacing it with ssdt-pnlf-cfl. Well, I'm not sure if I can say fixed because even though ssdt-pnlf-cfl fixed my dim boot screen issue, it also broke the brightness controls. I mean, I can still control brightness but only the first 7 levels make a change and if I continue to press the brightness up levels it's already full brightness but the bar adds more levels. Hope you understood what I meant. Any idea how to fix this?
If you have a i7-5500U CPU (and HD 5500 IGPU) then the right patch is SSDT-PNLF.
SSDT-PNLFCFL is for 8th-Gen Coffee Lake CPUs, currently using it on Lenovo Legion with i7-8750H (UHD 630 IGPU).
Try AppleBacklightSmoother along with included SSDT-PNLF

Last edited:
@chilledHamza Hello, I am back again with a problem. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix battery status. Can you please check my problem reporting files.
I learnt and applied all the patches as told by you and rehabman's guide, still no success though.
Hi, I thought last time you got it working. I checked the patched SSDT-BATT.aml, nice try but you missed some key points.
  • SSDT-EC-Laptop.aml (that injects a Fake EC device) this SSDT will fail to load because of ACPI binary patch "Rename Device EC0 -> EC (Required for macOS Catalina and above possilby)" ; the thing here is you either do the binary patch/rename or inject Fake EC device, not both at same time. So, EC Reame patch is more than enough and I removed SSDT-EC-Laptop.aml
  • SSDT-BATT.aml is based on EC0 device, with EC0 -> EC Rename applied patch should be using "EC" Device name.
  • SSDT-BATT.aml contains "Device" keyword for both EC0 and ACEL devices, it should be "Scope" along with External reference to both device (compare my SSDT-BATT with yours). Device keyword will define a new EC device (will fail again as an EC device already exist in DSDT), while Scope will extend existing EC Device with new injected code/content.
  • SSDT-BATT.aml contains same name "ERAM" for EC Region, while this is fine for static ACPI patch, name should be different here with Hotpatch SSDT (I renamed mine to ERM2).
  • SSDT-BATT.aml EC Region is missing Offsets (that are present in original DSDT.aml, compare with my SSDT-BATT for better understanding and also read Reahabman's guide it explains how to deal with Offsets)

if you fix above issues, your patch will possibly work, but I compared your DSDT.aml with one from AB216TX backup and both are almost identical. So, when you fix above issues, resultant SSDT will be same/similar to mine attached in OpenCore archive.
Try attached config, battery should work now. else you can try to fix your own and use that instead.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
@chilledHamza Hi again, I am using big sur now and it works perfectly! Just wanted to know if you have any good recommendations for supported wifi / bt card. Can I use any wifi card I find? By the way, the kext you told me to use to fix low brightness on boot didn't fix the issue :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back