Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Pavilion 15-AB216TX Catalina using OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@chilledHamza Hi I have HP Pavilion 15-p114dx - i7 4510U - will your guide and your EFI work with my system? I know mine have the older generation CPU but I hope it can somehow work with some configuration. Thanks in advance.

@chilledHamza Hi I have HP Pavilion 15-p114dx - i7 4510U - will your guide and your EFI work with my system? I know mine have the older generation CPU but I hope it can somehow work with some configuration. Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can use it with some modifications as your hardware is little different.
change device-id for IGPU as you have different CPU/GPU.
Change SMBIOS to mac model that has similar CPU/GPU
No Dedicated GPU, so remove everything related to Nvidia GPU (patches/ACPI SSDT).
USB ports mapping will be different so you have to create your own USB port mapping.
Audio Codec might be different.
EC Quires for Bright Keys might be different.

i installed Mojave on a AU003TX some time ago. Most of the hardware is same except CPU that is 6th Gen Intel Core and dedicated GPU doesn't matter as it will be disabled. try this config.plist to get iGPU working. My Guide will work for everything else. i'm not sure about the audio codec, but i remember it worked with AppleALC so you might have to find correct layout-id to get audio working.
Let me know if you encounter any issue.

Hi mate, I literally just checked this thread and saw the reply. I have installed catalina 15.5 on my AU003tx via the OpenCore guide. the only problem I face right now is the onboard speaker isn't working ( which honestly I don't mind) and the battery status is not working (need that). I've been trying to patch the DSDT but I ran into some problems there ( as mentioned on this thread - noob-question-acidanthera-maciasl-1-5-7-dsdt-compile-error.300147 ). Please do look into it if you have the time. Thanks in advance, your guidance is highly appreciated.

Hi mate, I literally just checked this thread and saw the reply. I have installed catalina 15.5 on my AU003tx via the OpenCore guide. the only problem I face right now is the onboard speaker isn't working ( which honestly I don't mind) and the battery status is not working (need that). I've been trying to patch the DSDT but I ran into some problems there ( as mentioned on this thread - noob-question-acidanthera-maciasl-1-5-7-dsdt-compile-error.300147 ). Please do look into it if you have the time. Thanks in advance, your guidance is highly appreciated.
My cousin owns a AU003TX, about 2 years ago i installed High Sierra for him.

I'm not sure about the audio codec, but I found layout-id=13 in old config. Try layout-id=13 along with AppleALC, that should fix you audio issue.

Battery Patch is little tricky, and as you are using OpenCore you should also use Hotpatch.
It should be similar to my SSDT-BATT.aml at the end, but you need to uncomment this specific line of battery patch before apply it to your DSDT.
Code:
 into method label INIT parent_label ACEL replace_content begin // code removed\n end;
This line of code costed me a lot of time, that's why I placed it in Post#1.

*Edit: back then I didn't know much about what it does, but now I have better understanding of it. it's removing the code from INIT method of ACEL device, that I believe is the HP 3D DriveGuard. and after the patch it might break 3D DriveGuard under Windows (if you have Dual-Boot). Because OpenCore by default applies ACPI patches to all Operating Systems (unlike Clover that only applies to macOS).

When battery patch works as expected with static DSDT patch, then use Diffmerge to compare the changes and create your own SSDT-BATT.aml

Also have a look at my OpenCore archive to have better understanding of the patches/configuration you might need (it's attached in Post#30)

Last edited:
@chilledHamza Any updates on using OpenCore. I am having a tough time fixing battery.

Also, would like to ask is it true that until battery status is fixed, trackpad pref pane is not visible. As it shows no trackpad found with VoodooPS2 and XOSI.

I am using VirtualSMC with all its supporting kexts, SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-EC(is it even required as EC config on my laptop according to manual fix guide appears to be already correct.) and finally SSDT - HPET.

Also tried using SSDT-BATT provided in your folder to fix battery did not help and patching DSDT as well did not help with OpenCore.

Any suggestion would be really helpful.
Thank you for so much information and amazing guide, all the hackintoshing i know so far is because of you.

@chilledHamza Any updates on using OpenCore. I am having a tough time fixing battery.
I did initial setup a while ago on my laptop, recently I noticed a USB related issue that didn't exist with Clover. it might be related to USBMap.kext. so, might need to revert back to USBInjectAll.kext. Other than that everything seems fine. I'm a little busy now a day so, haven't updated the guide yet.
Also, would like to ask is it true that until battery status is fixed, trackpad pref pane is not visible. As it shows no trackpad found with VoodooPS2 and XOSI.
Yes, it's true that Trackpad preference pane won't show up until you have working battery status. i don't think you need XOSI for VoodooPS2 to work. it's mostly required for GPI0 Patch (required for I2C trackpads, in combination with VoodooI2C). My current OpenCore configuration doesn't include XOSI rename/SSDT-XOSI and everything still works fine.
I am using VirtualSMC with all its supporting kexts, SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-EC(is it even required as EC config on my laptop according to manual fix guide appears to be already correct.) and finally SSDT - HPET.
VirutalSMC is fine, SSDT-PLUG to inject plugin-type=1 in CPU@0, I'm using EC0 -> EC rename patch instead of a dummy EC Device. Also had to create the SSDT-HPET due to IRQ issue and audio won't work without it (SSDT-HPET and required binary patches are in OpenCore ACPI folder and config.plist respectively)
Also tried using SSDT-BATT provided in your folder to fix battery did not help and patching DSDT as well did not help with OpenCore.
SSDT-BATT should work, might need to modify the ACPI Binary patches a little. you can try the patches from my OpenCore.zip and if you are already using those then attach the problem reporting files, I'll have a look myself.

I did initial setup a while ago on my laptop, recently I noticed a USB related issue that didn't exist with Clover. it might be related to USBMap.kext. so, might need to revert back to USBInjectAll.kext. Other than that everything seems fine. I'm a little busy now a day so, haven't updated the guide yet.
No issue at all dude, your guide is already so amazing! it has helped me a lot.
Yes, it's true that Trackpad preference pane won't show up until you have working battery status. i don't think you need XOSI for VoodooPS2 to work. it's mostly required for GPI0 Patch (required for I2C trackpads, in combination with VoodooI2C). My current OpenCore configuration doesn't include XOSI rename/SSDT-XOSI and everything still works fine.
Finally, good to know that, been searching and scratching my head over it from past few days. LOL
VirutalSMC is fine, SSDT-PLUG to inject plugin-type=1 in CPU@0, I'm using EC0 -> EC rename patch instead of a dummy EC Device. Also had to create the SSDT-HPET due to IRQ issue and audio won't work without it (SSDT-HPET and required binary patches are in OpenCore ACPI folder and config.plist respectively)
Alright, I'll try to use EC rename instead and I generated HPET using SSDTTime and applied patches accordingly, I think that's good enough.
SSDT-BATT should work, might need to modify the ACPI Binary patches a little. you can try the patches from my OpenCore.zip and if you are already using those then attach the problem reporting files, I'll have a look myself.
Okay, I tried reading rehab's guide but it is really difficult to understand, still trying though, I hope I'll be able to fix the battery.
Have tried patching DSDT first but that did not help, with HP battery G6 2221ss patch.

Sorry but I can't find any OC zip files attached.

Just one more issue I have is, after sleep(power key light NOT blinking though), I get black screen when I press the power button or try to wake device.
If I close the lid or immediately wake the system, it does not happen, but after lets say 10 or 20 minutes (sleep time maybe) it happens.

No such issue existed on Clover with your guide.
I just want to know if there is a guide to fix this or how you approached this issue? can you please link something?

Thanks a lot, sorry for disturbing.

Attached OpenCore folder doesn't include resources data required for external picker, so if you want to use OpenCore with GUI you'll have to place the resources and also change a few settings in config.plist. Add your SMBIOS information. Also it's the stock version of OpenCore (not ndk build), so all the ACPI stuff is also applied to Windows (if you have other OS).
OpenCore.zip is attached to this post.
I generated HPET using SSDTTime and applied patches accordingly, I think that's good enough.
yep, i also used it to create the patches and SSDT.
Okay, I tried reading rehab's guide but it is really difficult to understand, still trying though, I hope I'll be able to fix the battery.
Have tried patching DSDT first but that did not help, with HP battery G6 2221ss patch.
HP battery G6 2221s is exactly the patch you need. with the static DSDT you will have to apply other patches to DSDT.aml (including the IRQ/HEPT patch, battery patch, EC0 -> EC rename patch ; apply battery patch before EC0 Rename as EC definition in battery patch is EC0. Catalina won't boot without EC patch and IRQ/HPET fix is required for audio). OpenCore won't apply binary patches to files placed in ACPI folder (same goes for Clover, unless you use auto merge)
Just one more issue I have is, after sleep(power key light NOT blinking though), I get black screen when I press the power button or try to wake device.
If I close the lid or immediately wake the system, it does not happen, but after lets say 10 or 20 minutes (sleep time maybe) it happens.
seems like sleep is broken for you, check the log after reboot. that might help figuring out what causes the issue.
about closing and immediately open the lid again: sleep on macOS doesn't work like windows, there is 20-30 seconds of delay until the device sleeps. I have tested basic sleep it was fine, didn't test for any longer than a minute or two.
I had Kernel panic initially with OpenCore after wake from sleep (cause: failed to change power state of SATA port after sleep. or simply failed to power on HDD/SSD after sleep), that was fixed with SSDT-HPET I believe (not sure, I think I mentioned it in config.plist somewhere)
macOS isn't my daily driver on this HP Laptop, use windows about 90% of the time. now that I think of, I don't use sleep on window either.
Thanks a lot, sorry for disturbing.
Happy to help, No Problem at all.

OpenCore.zip is attached to this post.

yep, i also used it to create the patches and SSDT.

HP battery G6 2221s is exactly the patch you need. with the static DSDT you will have to apply other patches to DSDT.aml (including the IRQ/HEPT patch, battery patch, EC0 -> EC rename patch ; apply battery patch before EC0 Rename as EC definition in battery patch is EC0. Catalina won't boot without EC patch and IRQ/HPET fix is required for audio). OpenCore won't apply binary patches to files placed in ACPI folder (same goes for Clover, unless you use auto merge)

seems like sleep is broken for you, check the log after reboot. that might help figuring out what causes the issue.
about closing and immediately open the lid again: sleep on macOS doesn't work like windows, there is 20-30 seconds of delay until the device sleeps. I have tested basic sleep it was fine, didn't test for any longer than a minute or two.
I had Kernel panic initially with OpenCore after wake from sleep (cause: failed to change power state of SATA port after sleep. or simply failed to power on HDD/SSD after sleep), that was fixed with SSDT-HPET I believe (not sure, I think I mentioned it in config.plist somewhere)
macOS isn't my daily driver on this HP Laptop, use windows about 90% of the time. now that I think of, I don't use sleep on window either.

Happy to help, No Problem at all.

I think the DSDT i obtained using SSDTTime is already clover patched, since i booted to windows using clover and i have a dual boot configuration on the same SSD, maybe that is why i am getting issues i haven't encountered before.

I am thinking of remaking all the things from scratch for this laptop either using Clover or directly via OpenCore. just to get a clear understanding how all this works. Any suggestions?

Because i am planning to purchase a new laptop (choice between Hp Envy 2020 Intel, that may be released in my country soon i guess.. or the Lenovo C740 ) and then, well transform it into a hackintosh.
It'd be great if i may know which laptop(if any) are you using currently?
Thank you

I think the DSDT i obtained using SSDTTime is already clover patched, since i booted to windows using clover and i have a dual boot configuration on the same SSD, maybe that is why i am getting issues i haven't encountered before.
i believe SSDTTime is meant to be used with OpenCore. i'm also using dual-boot on my HP laptop (triple boot on Haier laptop) on same SSD. and i do not use Clover anymore, OpenCore only to boot everything (Linux require grub, but i added custom entry in OpenCore for Linux). the tricky thing about booting windows/linux with OpenCore is that it applies ACPI/SMBIOS patches to every Operating System (unlike clover that only modify it for macOS), there is a modified version with option to only apply patches to macOS but i'm using Acidanthera build and everything is fine under windows.
I am thinking of remaking all the things from scratch for this laptop either using Clover or directly via OpenCore. just to get a clear understanding how all this works. Any suggestions?
follow Guide in Post #1, it will work for the most part (at least with static patched ACPI files).
there are a few thing that needs to be updated in post #1, like Dedicated GPU can now be disabled with WhateverGreen without any ACPI/DSDT patch. also a few ACPI rename patches aren't required anymore (GFX0 -> IGPU and a few other, compare patches in OpenCore's config.plist with Clover's config.plist for better understanding).
Because i am planning to purchase a new laptop (choice between Hp Envy 2020 Intel, that may be released in my country soon i guess.. or the Lenovo C740 ) and then, well transform it into a hackintosh.
I don't know much about Envy 2020 or C740, both seems to be 10th-gen Intel. I don't think there is much support for 10th-gen Intel yet, but that's just matter of time. most of the hardware will be compatible, Wi-Fi might need replacement.
It'd be great if i may know which laptop(if any) are you using currently?
Currently i'm using this HP-AB216TX as daily driver (mostly Windows), also use Haier Y11C sometimes (macOS Catalina 10.15.5, Windows rarely).
but i plan to get XPS 15 (possibly 7590 or 9570) some time soon. that'll be the daily driver afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back