Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Envy Haswell series J/K using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
not going to update until you say its safe to do so, will keep checking this thread

Well... so far I'm doing only fresh installs to a second partition for 10.11.

I haven't worked out the details of an upgrade scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok will keep checking to see if there is any change or any user does it and reports back

The only big change is BrcmPatchRAM.kext vs BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.

The ./install_downloads.sh script will automatically delete BrcmPatchRAM.kext and install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext once you're running 10.11. Also, the new version of BrcmPatchRAM.kext will not load on 10.11.

My guess on the update process will be something like this:
- update Clover to the latest
- update all files following the guide (including re-patch ACPI, ./download.sh, ./install_downloads.sh)
- update your config.plist if you haven't done it lately (important new content for 10.11)
- update via App Store
- when you come back, run ./install_downloads.sh again

Last edited by a moderator:
The disassemble script is only extracting a DSDT but not SSDT on my Envy 17-J100 running El Capitan 10.11.1 (Patchamatic -extract only yields the attached DSDT.aml to the native_patchmatic folder). I've followed your guide from scratch 4 times, and I just cannot figure out what I am missing.
View attachment DSDT.aml
Code:
[FONT=Menlo][B]$ ./disassemble.sh[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]cp: ./native_patchmatic/SSDT*.aml: No such file or directory[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Intel ACPI Component Architecture[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ASL+ Optimizing Compiler version 20141107-64 [Jan  2 2015][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Copyright (c) 2000 - 2014 Intel Corporation[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Loading Acpi table from file   DSDT.aml - Length 00078186 (01316A)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ACPI: DSDT 0x0000000000000000 01316A (v01 Apple  1965     00000000 ACPI 00040000)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Pass 1 parse of [DSDT][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Pass 2 parse of [DSDT][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Parsing completed[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Found 11 external control methods, reparsing with new information[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Disassembly completed[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ASL Output:    DSDT.dsl - 757828 bytes[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]iASL Warning: There were 11 external control methods found during[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]disassembly, but additional ACPI tables to resolve these externals[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]were not specified. The resulting disassembler output file may not[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]compile because the disassembler did not know how many arguments[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]to assign to these methods. To specify the tables needed to resolve[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]external control method references, the -e option can be used to[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]specify the filenames. Example iASL invocations:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -e ssdt1.aml ssdt2.aml ssdt3.aml -d dsdt.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -e dsdt.aml ssdt2.aml -d ssdt1.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -e ssdt*.aml -d dsdt.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]In addition, the -fe option can be used to specify a file containing[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]control method external declarations with the associated method[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]argument counts. Each line of the file must be of the form:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    External (<method pathname>, MethodObj, <argument count>)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Invocation:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -fe refs.txt -d dsdt.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Loading Acpi table from file   DSDT.aml - Length 00078186 (01316A)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ACPI: DSDT 0x0000000000000000 01316A (v01 Apple  1965     00000000 ACPI 00040000)[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]../refs.txt: Importing method external (0 arguments) \_GPE.MMTB[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]../refs.txt: Imported 1 external method definitions[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Found 12 external control methods, reparsing with new information[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ASL Output:    DSDT.dsl - 757727 bytes[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]iASL Warning: There were 12 external control methods found during[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]disassembly, but only 1 was resolved (11 unresolved). Additional[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ACPI tables may be required to properly disassemble the code. The[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]resulting disassembler output file may not compile because the[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]disassembler did not know how many arguments to assign to the[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]unresolved methods.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]If necessary, the -fe option can be used to specify a file containing[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]control method external declarations with the associated method[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    External (<method pathname>, MethodObj, <argument count>)[/FONT]

The disassemble script is only extracting a DSDT but not SSDT on my Envy 17-J100 running El Capitan 10.11.1 (Patchamatic -extract only yields the attached DSDT.aml to the native_patchmatic folder). I've followed your guide from scratch 4 times, and I just cannot figure out what I am missing.
View attachment 151741
Code:
[FONT=Menlo][B]$ ./disassemble.sh[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]cp: ./native_patchmatic/SSDT*.aml: No such file or directory[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Found 11 external control methods, reparsing with new information[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ASL Output:    DSDT.dsl - 757828 bytes[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]iASL Warning: There were 11 external control methods found during[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]disassembly, but additional ACPI tables to resolve these externals[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]were not specified. The resulting disassembler output file may not[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]compile because the disassembler did not know how many arguments[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]to assign to these methods. To specify the tables needed to resolve[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]external control method references, the -e option can be used to[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]specify the filenames. Example iASL invocations:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -e ssdt1.aml ssdt2.aml ssdt3.aml -d dsdt.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -e dsdt.aml ssdt2.aml -d ssdt1.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]    iasl -e ssdt*.aml -d dsdt.aml[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]In addition, the -fe option can be used to specify a file containing[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]../refs.txt: Importing method external (0 arguments) \_GPE.MMTB[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]../refs.txt: Imported 1 external method definitions[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Found 12 external control methods, reparsing with new information[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ASL Output:    DSDT.dsl - 757727 bytes[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]iASL Warning: There were 12 external control methods found during[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]disassembly, but only 1 was resolved (11 unresolved). Additional[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]ACPI tables may be required to properly disassemble the code. The[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]resulting disassembler output file may not compile because the[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]disassembler did not know how many arguments to assign to the[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]unresolved methods.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]If necessary, the -fe option can be used to specify a file containing[/FONT]

It means one of two things:
- you're not booting from USB
- your USB is not prepared according to my guide

Correct it... then...

Now that you have bad files in native_patchmatic, don't forget to run 'make cleanallex' before attempting to continue.

- your USB is not prepared according to my guide

Apparently I was using the wrong config.plist on my USB's EFI; I was using config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist (renamed to config.plist) and the display becomes garbled. I tried each of the suggest Haswell ig-platform-id values with the similar results. When those all failed, I used the one from HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch-master which booted fine, but apparently messes up the extraction. I just now tried one extracted from the EFI folder someone posted earlier in this thread, and it worked. I have no idea what config.plist that was, unfortunately. Thanks for the quick response; all is working perfectly thanks to your hint!

Apparently I was using the wrong config.plist on my USB's EFI; I was using config_HD4600_4400_4200.plist (renamed to config.plist) and the display becomes garbled. I tried each of the suggest Haswell ig-platform-id values with the similar results. When those all failed, I used the one from HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch-master which booted fine, but apparently messes up the extraction. I just now tried one extracted from the EFI folder someone posted earlier in this thread, and it worked. I have no idea what config.plist that was, unfortunately. Thanks for the quick response; all is working perfectly thanks to your hint!

The config.plist from the guide works... You probably made some mistake...

Thanks Rehabman, now with your suggested updates I got same heat and power consumption than windows. The cherry on the cake would be having dual band wifi working: I can only see my 2.4 networks despite having the broadcom you suggest, which actually works in ac dual band 824mbps on windows, but seems not to do the same on osx. Any suggestions?

Thanks Rehabman, now with your suggested updates I got same heat and power consumption than windows. The cherry on the cake would be having dual band wifi working: I can only see my 2.4 networks despite having the broadcom you suggest, which actually works in ac dual band 824mbps on windows, but seems not to do the same on osx. Any suggestions?

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Envy 17-J100 running 10.11.1, the display turns off when I close the lid and will not turn back on. If I leave the lid open and allow it to sleep naturally, it wakes as it should. If I select SLEEP from the Apple menu, it sleeps and wakes as it should. If I put the laptop to sleep and then close the lid, it will continue to sleep, and then wake when the lid is opened. See below for my hibernation settings. All looks good to me; what do you think the issue is?

Code:
$ pmset -g[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Active Profiles:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Battery Power        -1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]AC Power        -1*[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Currently in use:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] standby              1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] womp                 0[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] halfdim              1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] powernap             1[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] networkoversleep     0[/FONT]