Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] HP Elitebook 8470p Radeon - 10.13+11.+12. | OpenCore

I too have this same laptop with the HD4000 and the 1600x900 display. I already have a triboot set up. macOS Catalina on a 500GB and Win10 Pro and Ubuntu set up on another 500gb drive that replaces the DVD drive. It’s a p model so i could only throw in 16 gig of 1600mhz.

You know the saying If it ain’t broke....

I have spent the last 3 days basically breaking and repairing my os trying to add big sur to my setup.
The internet says it should work,lol.

Anyway, I’m back where i started...Fully updated macOS Catalina with a Clover setup and its all working and updated...fully patched dsdt. Battery,wifi,bluetooth,triboot. All functioning properly. I ended up updating clover as well which had its own set of issues but i was able to work through them.

I tried Chris111 OC\BigSur and got it to install...problems with the postinstall.. video and wifi But I’m sure these were update your kext related.
My biggest concern was all the acpi errors on the reboot. Catalina and everything before uses a patched dsdt which i have patched perfectly, but now we use patch ssdt’s from what i gather. Maybe someone could confirm what should be going down ACPI wise. I’m not sure if its going down the way it’s suppose to. Chris’s video shows him going into the acpi folder and showing his dsdt files and tables. I go into my folder and nada,lol 2 ssdt’s.
I will likely try again but I’m not sure if I’ll stay with clover or migrate to OC. I would like to keep both the Catalina and Big Sur installations where i don’t compromise the one just to get the other to work. I think i shall sit with my coffee this morning and read over all the guides again. Always something new to learn....
Good luck to all who are trying. I’d be interested in hearing any clover successes as well....if there are any. lol
If you are following Chris guide, I think the reason you got ACPI error because of when you run post install, in your hard drive>EFI>OC>ACPI folder already have DSDT.aml there. So the tool cannot dump original DSDT and also cannot patch DSDT also.
If another problem, you can go to his GitHub and raise new issue on his page here.

@wiliplasen where did you get black screen: during verbose boot, finished boot and got black screen at logon screen?
I guess your screen is 1368x766, which difference with my resolution. it is simple to delete all thing in DeviceProperties > Add then save and try boot again. Don't forget NVRAM reset.
View attachment 535228
Ahh ok
I see i have to put 03006601 instead your 04006601
Its for 1366x768 resolution
I Will try thanks
I have black screen in loggon

Last edited:
Did you add that platform Id to the device properties or is that part of the post install? Mine is blank? I also have black screen after the post install boot on both big sur and Catalina. Chris was no help. Said there is settings for high screen and closed my issue. I tried the ID as a boot arg and it didn’t work. My boot seems better now. Didn’t notice as many acpi errors. I should take a closer look at your config but I’m off to work. I’d like to talk to you about the kext your using too for big sur.

Edit…I have to use -wegnoegpu with clover Catalina boot. I tried it with OC with no success but I didn’t have the platform ID in the config and I didn’t try both boot Args at the same time. I have same Pc and gpu as you thienluong89. If I use the boot arg igfxframe=01660004 and -wegnoepgu in the OC boot args. I mean the framebuffer is specified in my clover config, why would it not be in the OC config. Something to try anyway

Last edited:
@wiliplasen where did you get black screen: during verbose boot, finished boot and got black screen at logon screen?
I guess your screen is 1368x766, which difference with my resolution. it is simple to delete all thing in DeviceProperties > Add then save and try boot again. Don't forget NVRAM reset.
View attachment 535228
Bro
I do the chance to low resolution and all goes like a charm
The only isue I see os the webcam but un clover and Catalina i dont have webcam too

Im going to try install Catalina and Big Sur from 0 with the opencore efi

Thanks for your work

I was try It for a lot whitout success

You are a master

Sorry for my bad english

Bro
I do the chance to low resolution and all goes like a charm
The only isue I see os the webcam but un clover and Catalina i dont have webcam too

Im going to try install Catalina and Big Sur from 0 with the opencore efi

Thanks for your work

I was try It for a lot whitout success

You are a master

Sorry for my bad english
You are welcome, Congratulations!
Regarding webcam, if you are lucky you can have it. With my Laptop, webcam was patched in DSDT but I didn't see Serial Number in System report. I was refer to Rehabman post before and he tell that no way to get webcam work if you don't have Serial Number. You must buy external webcam.
p/s: I guess you can change your signature now (Clover > OC), right?
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 07.24.02.png

Did you add that platform Id to the device properties or is that part of the post install? Mine is blank? I also have black screen after the post install boot on both big sur and Catalina. Chris was no help. Said there is settings for high screen and closed my issue. I tried the ID as a boot arg and it didn’t work. My boot seems better now. Didn’t notice as many acpi errors. I should take a closer look at your config but I’m off to work. I’d like to talk to you about the kext your using too for big sur.

Edit…I have to use -wegnoegpu with clover Catalina boot. I tried it with OC with no success but I didn’t have the platform ID in the config and I didn’t try both boot Args at the same time. I have same Pc and gpu as you thienluong89. If I use the boot arg igfxframe=01660004 and -wegnoepgu in the OC boot args. I mean the framebuffer is specified in my clover config, why would it not be in the OC config. Something to try anyway
1. Platform ID need create by your own, I delete it in my EFI before shared because worry about conflict ID if someone use my EFI without re-create it.
2. Black screen: I guess it due to wrong setting for screen resolution. There is 2 places you need to pay attention: one in DSDT patched and another in OC>config.plist>DeviceProperties>Add.
If you are following latest Chris guide (updated on 31.Oct.2021), it should be fixed. If you are using old one, download the latest version and run post install again following exactly below steps:
Step 1: Ensure you have installer USB created by Chris's tool.
Step 2: Mount your EFI folder on your hard driver (not on Installer USB) and delete it.
Step 3: Restart and boot from Installer USB, then run post install. Everything will done by Chris's tool.
If you still have problem, Reset your BIOS to default setting and change as need that the Chris guide tell you.
Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 07.36.44.png

For someone using Chris's tool. You will don't have CPU boost frequency, so create SSDT-PM by your own by using ssdtPRGen and need disable "Drop CpuPm" and "Drop Cpu0Ist" in OC>Config.plist>ACPI>Deleted.

I bel
For someone using Chris's tool. You will don't have CPU boost frequency, so create SSDT-PM by your own by using ssdtPRGen and need disable "Drop CpuPm" and "Drop Cpu0Ist" in OC>Config.plist>ACPI>Deleted.
I believe that is ssdt I created in my orig clover acpi folder. Thanks. Do you know if there is a fix for bcm943224 wifi? It’s broken in big sur. How’s your audio? AppleALC doesn’t work in Catalina or big sur for me. Was using voodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler with clover and Catalina. I plan on moving the efi over to the hdd after I get it all set up and working and booting all my os’s properly.
Did that boot arg work out for you on Monterey.

wow my whole post disappeared.

in a nutshell

bootarg -wegnoegpu will fix your video acceleration issue in Catalina and Big Sur maybe Monterey

Last edited:
I bel

I believe that is ssdt I created in my orig clover acpi folder. Thanks. Do you know if there is a fix for bcm943224 wifi? It’s broken in big sur. How’s your audio? AppleALC doesn’t work in Catalina or big sur for me. Was using voodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler with clover and Catalina. I plan on moving the efi over to the hdd after I get it all set up and working and booting all my os’s properly.
Did that boot arg work out for you on Monterey.

wow my whole post disappeared.

in a nutshell

bootarg -wegnoegpu will fix your video acceleration issue in Catalina and Big Sur maybe Monterey
Did you following my recommend in #146?
Please try it first then report the problem you faced.
On the other hand, do you have internal graphic only (HD4000)?
If so, why you need -wegnoegpu boot flag? This boot flag using to disable all external GPUs. So I don't understand why it can help you get video acceleration.

I don’t know why. I was told to use it a couple years ago when I was setting up Catalina and it worked. I thought of it yesterday and tried it but because the platform ID wasn’t defined in the device properties, it didn’t work. I copied your device properties and included the bootarg and Catalina booted up full acceleration. I installed big sur and used the same boot stick and it booted up full acceleration. I posted this for you earlier with a picture of the about my Mac but I can only imagine my name dropping got the post deleted. I want you to try it with Monterey. I had already fixed the acceleration by the time you made post 146, but my post to you about it was already gone. And yes I only have Hd4000. Nothing else

Last edited:
Back