Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP EliteBook 820 840 G2 I5-5300U HD5500 El Capitan [ENG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong audio device. That is for Intel HDMI, not your onboard HD audio.

Do you know how I can get the correct dump?

here is what I found on google and used for the included dump

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

thx

Do you know how I can get the correct dump?

here is what I found on google and used for the included dump

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 > ~/Desktop/codec_dump.txt

thx

Try at /proc/asound/card1/codec#0

Explanation:

Unlike Sandy/Ivy(and it appears Skylake) which have two codecs (on-board/HDMI) on one audio device (HDEF), Haswell/Broadwell has each codec on its own audio device (HDEF/B0D3).

Try at /proc/asound/card1/codec#0

Explanation:

Unlike Sandy/Ivy(and it appears Skylake) which have two codecs (on-board/HDMI) on one audio device (HDEF), Haswell/Broadwell has each codec on its own audio device (HDEF/B0D3).

That worked, thx.

Here is the dump

Attachments

• codec_dump.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 250
It is Realtek ALC280. Note: "Vendor Id: 0x10ec0280"

You can use AppleHDA_ProBook.kext with layout-id 4.

See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch

The AppleHDA patches required are in the appropriate plist for your model.

In fact, the ACPI setup there is a complete Clover hotpatch for this model... (no static patching, all dynamic).

Ok so we determined its a ALC280. I downloaded the zip file from github and extracted it.

I am guessing that I have to load AppleHDA Probook.kext into S/L/E with Kext wizzard.

If you could break down the required steps to follow as I'm not sure what you mean. Even though this is my 4th Hackintosh, I am no way an expert at this.

Thanks for all the help. I would be completely lost with out your help.

Ok so we determined its a ALC280. I downloaded the zip file from github and extracted it.

I am guessing that I have to load AppleHDA Probook.kext into S/L/E with Kext wizzard.

If you could break down the required steps to follow as I'm not sure what you mean. Even though this is my 4th Hackintosh, I am no way an expert at this.

Thanks for all the help. I would be completely lost with out your help.

Are you familiar with the ACPI patches required for AppleHDA?

They are documented in the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html

AppleHDA_ProBook.kext uses layout-id 4, so use "Audio Layout 3", but change the 3 to 4 before applying the patch. With that and "IRQ Fix" (maybe you already have it), that satisfies the ACPI part.

Then you need the AppleHDA patches in your config.plist. They are in config_ALC280.plist as well as in config_8x0s_G2_Haswell.plist (ignore the comments that say ALC282...typo). You probably don't want to jump to the config_8x0s_G2_Haswell.plist as that involves a completely different ACPI setup than what you're currently using (it is a hotpatch setup, instead of static patching). But what you need are the AppleHDA related patches. Easy to get them from config_ALC280.plist.

After preparation, you will need to boot without caches, then rebuild cache, then boot normally. If everything is done correctly, you'll be using patched AppleHDA...

Hotpatching ACPI is something you can try later...

Are you familiar with the ACPI patches required for AppleHDA?

T
Then you need the AppleHDA patches in your config.plist. They are in config_ALC280.plist as well as in config_8x0s_G2_Haswell.plist. Y

Should I use the Broadwell version instead as the 820 g2 has a Broadwell chip set? i5-5300

Should I use the Broadwell version instead as the 820 g2 has a Broadwell chip set? i5-5300

Since you are just after the ALC280 AppleHDA patches, you need to use the patches I mention. If you were trying to do the clover hotpatch, you would have to combine the two.

I have Broadwell G2 as using ALC282. I guess some will have 280 and some 282... But maybe my makefile is just wrong there. Previously it was thought that only the Zbook G2 Haswell had ALC280. Maybe I'll change both 4x0s Broadwell and 8x0s Haswell to ALC280 (DONE).

When I publish the guide people can sort it out if I'm guessing incorrectly.

So I have an interesting experience here. Thanks to the updates to HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT and the ensuing discussion + instructions, I was able to get audio working without VoodooHDA. Unfortunately, this came at the cost of accelerated graphics, which stopped working after I made the changes to the config.plist.

Specifically, the graphics don't work if I include the Arbitrary key in Devices, which is necessary to inject the custom properties for the audio devices. With the Arbitrary key, audio works but graphics does not. Remove the Arbitrary key, and graphics work again but audio is missing.

I've attached two config.plists that illustrate the difference, along with corresponding ioreg dumps. I did look at the Clover documentation regarding Devices, and it does not say anything about Arbitrary. There is an AddProperties key, but my attempts to adapt the data to that format did not yield any results. Obviously, Arbitrary does something so it may just not be documented, but it's killing my graphics when its used. Any help is always appreciated!

Attachments

• config-audio-nogfx.plist
    11.6 KB · Views: 227
  • config-gfx-noaudio.plist
    11.6 KB · Views: 213
  • audio-no-gfx.ioreg
    3.2 MB · Views: 137
  • gfx-no-audio.ioreg
    3.2 MB · Views: 133
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back