Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
New challenge/issue... and this may not be the thread to post on but I'll share because it is occurring on my continuing build.

I have a 250GB Samsung mSATA installed as my boot device. I've had a 120GB Kingston SSD in the drive caddy and formatted it exFAT. Everything has been great. I recently decided to buy a Seagate 4TB HDD to replace the Kingston in the caddy.

I plugged the Seagate into a USB3 port on the rear and reformatted it as GUID partition, with exFAT, using Disk Utility.
I then replaced the Kingston with the Seagate in the caddy (after removing it from its external enclosure of course), and powered up.

Here's the kicker... the BIOS post won't complete. I then took the drive back out of the internal caddy, placed it back into the external enclosure, plugged it into USB again, and powered up. Again, USDT will hang on post.
IF I disconnect the drive completely, the USDT goes past post normally and I'm up in macOS in about 14 seconds.
I can then plug the drive in and it is recognized! If I reboot, USDT will hang on post if the drive is attached.

What's going on? This does NOT happen with the Kingston (a 120GB drive..... is it capacity related? Seagate? Is there something the BIOS is trying to scan?)

Update: Tried also with 320GB HGST, works fine, gets past post, etc.
Update: Tried also with 1TB Crucial SSD, works fine, gets past post, etc.
Update: Tried different USB enclosures (OWC and Sabrent)

BIOS is 3.04

Help.
I've had this same issue with a 3.5" 6TB WD Green formatted as a single partition as exFAT as well as erased and formatted as a single partition as HFS+. Hack will hang and won't post if the drive is in an external enclosure and connected before the computer is past the Clover Bootloader. Once macOS is loading/loaded, the drive will show up fine and Hack will work normally if connected then. In my experience this only is an issue with external drives that require external power. All 2.5" portable drives I've tested can be connected before the bootloader without any issue.

Once I removed the 6TB from its enclosure and connected it via internal SATA and power, it worked fine. Is the port you're using on the USDT an eSATA port? I wonder if it's still seeing it as a removable source, which is why it won't boot. I'm using a CMT, so I'm not sure if your model has an additional SATA as opposed to eSATA. Curious to know too if anyone has a solution to this.

edit: capacity of WD Green

I've had this same issue with a 3.5" 6TB WD Green formatted as a single partition as exFAT as well as erased and formatted as a single partition as HFS+. Hack will hang and won't post if the drive is in an external enclosure and connected before the computer is past the Clover Bootloader. Once macOS is loading/loaded, the drive will show up fine and Hack will work normally if connected then. In my experience this only is an issue with external drives that require external power. All 2.5" portable drives I've tested can be connected before the bootloader without any issue.

Once I removed the 6TB from its enclosure and connected it via internal SATA and power, it worked fine. Is the port you're using on the USDT an eSATA port? I wonder if it's still seeing it as a removable source, which is why it won't boot. I'm using a CMT, so I'm not sure if your model has an additional SATA as opposed to eSATA. Curious to know too if anyone has a solution to this.

edit: capacity of WD Green
The USDT has a single mSATA on motherboard, plus a SATA for the 2.5" drive caddy, plus SATA for the DVD.
The 2.5" SATA is SATA2, Optical is SATA1, and mSATA is SATA0

I've only been using 2.5" drives. I've only connected internal SATA, or in an USB3 enclosure. Never eSATA.

Given that this is at POST time, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the installed OS. It prior to getting to Clover I think.

I enabled a 5 second pause in the BIOS, and that pause never even starts with the 4TB drive attached either internal OR USB!

The BIOS has to be doing something....

UPDATE: I tested this same drive in same USB enclosure on Dell Optiplex 9010 USFF BIOS A30 usb front port AND THIS ALSO will not go past POST. So, ... is there a max drive size that these older machines could handle? I've only got 1TB and this new 4TB to try...

UPDATE: I reformatted the Seagate into 2 x 2TB partitions (both exFAT) and the system boots right up.
So I am assuming that there is a partition size limit. Bummer. But at least this drive will work. Seems so old school to have to break up my 4 TB into smaller partitions just to get it to boot with it attached at boot time (either SATA or USB, same result).

Last edited:
Hello

The GitHub repo linked under "What you need" is returning a 404. Has it been moved, or do we get the files from another source?

Thanks!

Sniki, Where did you get that hp computer icon?
Lost them somewhere, will have to do them again, i will upload them on the guide.
Hello

The GitHub repo linked under "What you need" is returning a 404. Has it been moved, or do we get the files from another source?

Thanks!
The github repositories were under construction from my side so i was updating stuff and changed the repo name.
Fixed now.

Hi

First of all, thanks for this great manual, everything works perfect on my 8300.

I have just only one question. Recently I bought RX560 graphics card and it works well out of the box (before it, I was using integrated i7 graphics, works well too), but I got this one little glitch on startup with RX560 (see attachment). So, is it okay? Or I can correct my config.plist somehow to rid of it? It's not bothering me much, but if it possible to make everything perfect, I would try :)

Thanks

IMG_7282.jpg

Hi

First of all, thanks for this great manual, everything works perfect on my 8300.

I have just only one question. Recently I bought RX560 graphics card and it works well out of the box (before it, I was using integrated i7 graphics, works well too), but I got this one little glitch on startup with RX560 (see attachment). So, is it okay? Or I can correct my config.plist somehow to rid of it? It's not bothering me much, but if it possible to make everything perfect, I would try :)

Thanks

View attachment 411798
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

So, is it okay? Or I can correct my config.plist somehow to rid of it?
Most people that have AMD graphics see that glitch at boot up. Nothing to do but wait for a fix from Apple.

1.XCPM Only
This is a newer method that works really well on Haswell+, not so good on some Ivy Bridge CPUs, but does work really well on the CPUs that these HP Desktops use.
With this method, we don't need the Custom SSDT.aml create from ssdtPRGen.sh script but instead we have Power Management set on config.plist from these two:
- config.plist /ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=Yes
- config.plist /KernelAndKextPatches/KernelXCPM=Yes

This is the method of Power Management used on my files and are already configured, i wrote this only for documentation purpose and for those people that for some reasons, they have issues with this type of Power Management on their Desktops.
Opposite to what this paragraph says, current https://github.com/Snikii/HP6300-HP8300/blob/master/config.plist has both PluginType and KernelXCPM set to false. I'm running i5-3470, what power management should I be using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back