Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a screencapture of Hackintool USB tab. I'm counting 16 USB ports, not including the 2 main USB Busses. Is that part of the issue?
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 12.17.34 AM.png

@BillyGoatGruff I'm a bit rusty but hope this helps.

Do you have the following DSDT patches done?

Here is my hackintool view - never used this tool before:

Also attached my ssdt.aml from efi/clover/acpi/patched if I recall the only time I touched this was to get sound sorted properly.

Attachments

• ssdt.aml
    1.7 KB · Views: 70
Still, I want to get the internal header working on this USDT, so that I can close up the case
Would you upload a pic of which slot the wifi card is installed in to ? The mSATA and mPCIe slots are pretty much identical in pins and shape and could easily be mistaken. slot #6 is where it needs to be installed.

Would you upload a pic of which slot the wifi card is installed in to ? The mSATA and mPCIe slots are pretty much identical in pins and shape and could easily be mistaken. slot #6 is where it needs to be installed.

View attachment 405398
Image attached. I'm using mSATA with 256GB Samsung 860 EVO. Really nice boot times; Clover is the slowest part :) . Windows and macOS in about 7 seconds.
The mini PCIe slot has been the one of grief in this HP, as HP did NOT implement the full mini PCIe specification and did NOT include USB on pins 36,38, which would have eliminated all of this hassle. (Dell Optiplex USFF DOES do it correctly, btw)
8300USDTslots.jpg

Note my custom washers for the screws. HP doesn't use the STANDARD screw size, (like EVERY one else uses 2mm) so I used a paper punch and then pushed the 1.4 screw through).

HP did NOT implement the full mini PCIe specification and did NOT include USB on pins 36,38, which would have eliminated all of this hassle.
It is really crazy for HP to not include USB 2.0 via that mini PCIe slot. As you know, Dell does in their USFF model. It's just a simple task to pop in the miniPCIe Wifi card (no screws or adapters needed) connect the antennas and it works. I got rid of my HP USFF mainly due to the fan noise but also because the Dell version looks better too. I can run my 7010 Dell USFF fanless (with an i5) and also have a wifi card that works great. I also prefer the internal PSU instead of the external brick.

Last edited:
It is really crazy for HP to not include USB 2.0 via that mini PCIe slot. As you know, Dell does in their USFF model. It's just a simple task to pop in the miniPCIe Wifi card (no screws or adapters needed) connect the antennas and it works. I got rid of my HP USFF mainly due to the fan noise but also because the Dell version looks better too. I can run my 7010 Dell USFF fanless (with an i5) and also have a wifi card that works great. I also prefer the internal PSU instead of the external brick.
Indeed. All good reasons to switch. I picked up this HP USDT for "fun" as it was only $100 with the power supply. Now I am too stubborn and won't give up until I get it working the way I want. But I agree, I like my Dell USFF better. In fact the build quality and design of the Optiplex line is really impressive an enjoyable. As an example, take the little things like the 3.5" AND 2.5" drive caddy design... just nice.

I can run my 7010 Dell USFF fanless (with an i5)
@trs96 do you have any more information on this? Do you mean NO CPU fan and NO PSU fan? Temperature controlled? I have put Noctua fans in my 8300USFF but fanless would be perfect..

Also it looks like the 7010USFF has full size RAM, and some models have dual DP connections?

looks like the 7010USFF has full size RAM, and some models have dual DP connections?
All of them have dual DP. The MT, DT and SFF all have two DP outputs unlike the one DP HP gives you.

I run my Core i5-3475S 2.9GHz cpu fanless some of the time. Mostly just when internet surfing and general stuff. When I don't want any noise. The temps stay manageable. I do have a 2.5" SSD installed too so no noise from that. The difference between the Dell and HP is that the Dell cooler is solid copper with 3 copper heat pipes.

That is what makes the difference. The coolers sell for about 10 dollars or less on Ebay. Have a look at them.

Last edited:
I Cant thank you enough for the guide its just so perfect, I've been using the HP 8300 for a year but have never found a build to be working this great, all thanks to your time and efforts put into this.

My hp 8300 has memory card slots and a additional USB slot next to the CD/DVD Disk Drive, would it be possible to get it working too? All these are slots are connected via a SATA cable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have you connected the USB 2.0 cable to Media 1 or Media 2 header ? If not try that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back