Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

I just made a new Big Sur 11.3.1 USB installer and tested it with my OC 0.6.9 EFI and it boots to the installer with no problems. My USDT has the Intel i5-3475S CPU. Same as what you have except there are two extra cores and it is clocked a little slower at 2.9GHz base clock.
That's great to know, thank you for trying that. Seems it's an issue with my machine then. Or very unlikely the 3245. I will look through your other suggestions in slower time. Weird though that my machine boots and runs clover ok, and catalina and boots a clover usb.

This may be a case of Intel ME lockout. That has an effect on how the iGPU works when trying to install and run macOS. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-loads-metal-opengl.312057/#post-2241758
Well my AMT is on and I checked the link but I thought the 3 (me disabled) and the 6 (me lockout) labels apply to a Dell 7010? I have never seen this on an 8300?

Also you mentioned resetting nvram, is this something additional to loading default bios values etc or is this the step you do from the OC usb boot? If the latter then given that I cannot see anything on OC usb boot, then I cannot get to this step - is there another way to do this?

is this the step you do from the OC usb boot? If the latter then given that I cannot see anything on OC usb boot, then I cannot get to this step - is there another way to do this?
Yep, you clear NVRAM at the OC menu. I would try to remake the USB installer if you can't even see the boot menu.

Yep, you clear NVRAM at the OC menu. I would try to remake the USB installer if you can't even see the boot menu
Already tried that, plus a different usb brand. Think it's time to give up.

Already tried that, plus a different usb brand. Think it's time to give up.
Try and flash the BIOS up to the newest 3.08 version. Then load defaults and set it up again. That may resolve this. I can see no real reason why it shouldn't work unless you have some kind of hardware issue. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Screen Shot 23.jpg

Last edited:
Try and flash the BIOS up to the newest 3.08 version. Then load defaults and set it up again. That may resolve this. I can see no real reason why it shouldn't work unless you have some kind of hardware issue. That doesn't seem to be the case.
A bit reluctant to do that as it can't be back flashed to current working-with-catalina version. Besides, I already did that from 2.90 to 2.99 and cleared cmos etc. Thanks for all the suggestions, it's frustrating as this should be ridiculously simple!

Eureka! I found the problem (I didn't give up!). According to the Dortania Opencore install guide, there is an issue peculiar to 3rd gen i3 processors (not i5, hence @trs96 was unable to reproduce my issue on his 8300 USDT) which means booting Opencore will black screen due to HFSPlus.efi not loading. Replacing HFSPlus.efi with HFSPlusLegacy.efi now enables the USB to boot. For simplicity, for now, to avoid editing the config.plist I just renamed HFSPlusLegacy.efi to HFSPlus.efi and overwrote the existing file and now it boots on my HP 8300 USDT with i3 3245. Note that this issue is likely to affect anyone else using an i3 HD4000 processor.

According to the Dortania Opencore install guide, there is an issue peculiar to 3rd gen i3 processors (not i5, hence @trs96 was unable to reproduce my issue on his 8300 USDT) which means booting Opencore will black screen due to HFSPlus.efi not loading.
I didn't know this. I'm sure that when Sniki writes up a Big Sur guide he'll include this for i3 owners.

I didn't know this. I'm sure that when Sniki writes up a Big Sur guide he'll include this for i3 owners.
We're all always learning. This was a weird one no one could have foreseen unless familiar with Dortania troubleshooting steps for non-booting OC - I certainly wasn't!

67BGTEV,

At the present time, I have two groups of HP 8300 machines. The first group
has Nvidia GT730 graphics cards and i5-3470 CPU, and they are configured
as iMac13,2 with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and OC 0.6.6. Here is a copy of the
EFI for this first group.

If you have a different CPU you need to replace the SSDT-CPU-PM-3470.aml
in ACPI and/or disable CPUFriend.kext, depending on how you generate the new
power management file.

If you are not using a Nvidia graphics card, you should remove the shikigva=256
boot argument. DRM in AppleTV works for me with the IGPU disabled in BIOS. If
you enable the IGPU in BIOS, it will default to headless AAPL,ig-platform-id of
07006201. If you want a connector-full IGPU for HD4000 graphics with i7-3770
or i5-3570K, you will have to add device properties for it.

You also have to add serial number, ROM, MLB, and UUID in Platform Info -> Generic
in the config.plist.

The second group of machines has AMD RX560 or RX 570 graphics cards and i5-3570K,
and they are configured as iMac15,1 with macOS Bis Sur 11.2 with OC 0.6.6. I'll clean
that EFI up and post it below. The EFI for this group is called EFI-AMD-3570K-BS.

Please back up your EFI before you consider using these and test them first on a USB
stick before installing them on your SSD or hard drive. No guarantees -- use at your own risk!
@LisaAlterEgo

Thanx for that EFI, i could not figure out, where i lost that H264 - HVEC HW Acceleration with my MacPro6,1 but maybe it was that......

Good starting Point to set up that 11.4 for native HW H264 again with IMAC15....

different aproach with CPUfriend, but with my ssdt it works now as it should !

WX4100 again at 22w Normal Usage ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back