Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

driver HfsPlus.efi, but I had changed over to the new
OpenHfsPlus.efi instead,
I'm on 0.6.6 :thumbup:-
  • I replaced HfsPlus.efi with OpenHfsPlus.efi in EFI/OC/Drivers
  • Updated HfsPlus.efi with OpenHfsPlus.efi under UEFI/Drivers in the config.plist
  • Replaced all the EFIs to current Feb release EFIs under EFI/OC/Tools, except HdaCodecDump.efi

I guess moving from HfsPlus.efi to OpenHfsPlus.efi did the trick, but I didn't verify that. Thank you Lisa!!

Now, I'll update the other machine after a day or two..

Updated my 8300 MT with dGPU and everything went well after deleting the EFI/OC/Config.plist > DeviceProperties > PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) entry and updating SMBIOS from old config.

For the first time updating from 0.6.3 to 0.6.6, I felt it was difficult, but one done, looks ease. But that's how it is :)

Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone has tested OC Big Sur with i5 3470 CPU and dGPU? I want to upgrade my current clover Catalina setup but slightly worried about my specs. Thanks.

I want to upgrade my current clover Catalina setup but slightly worried about my specs. Thanks.
The RX460 will work with Big Sur AFAIK. The only other important issue is the SMBIOS. If you are currently using one from a 2012 iMac or Mac mini or even the 2013 iMac 14,2 it won't work with Big Sur.

So I see opencore 0.6.6 bootloader from the local drive and I can login into ubuntu through opencore bootloader but when I choose BigSur install, boot just hangs on Apple logo. I am going to try and put the debug version of opencore and see what error message I get but if anyone knows off the top of their head, it will be much appreciated.

OC Big Sur with i5 3470 CPU and dGPU?
I'm running Big Sur on OC 0.6.6 w/ i7-3770 w/ RX580 (iMacPro1,1) and i7-3770 HD4000 (MacPro6,1). Both running well.

Your configuration should work as well.

@LisaAlterEgo - Do you mind sharing the EFI {minus SMBIOS)?
67BGTEV,

At the present time, I have two groups of HP 8300 machines. The first group
has Nvidia GT730 graphics cards and i5-3470 CPU, and they are configured
as iMac13,2 with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and OC 0.6.6. Here is a copy of the
EFI for this first group.

If you have a different CPU you need to replace the SSDT-CPU-PM-3470.aml
in ACPI and/or disable CPUFriend.kext, depending on how you generate the new
power management file.

If you are not using a Nvidia graphics card, you should remove the shikigva=256
boot argument. DRM in AppleTV works for me with the IGPU disabled in BIOS. If
you enable the IGPU in BIOS, it will default to headless AAPL,ig-platform-id of
07006201. If you want a connector-full IGPU for HD4000 graphics with i7-3770
or i5-3570K, you will have to add device properties for it.

You also have to add serial number, ROM, MLB, and UUID in Platform Info -> Generic
in the config.plist.

The second group of machines has AMD RX560 or RX 570 graphics cards and i5-3570K,
and they are configured as iMac15,1 with macOS Bis Sur 11.2 with OC 0.6.6. I'll clean
that EFI up and post it below. The EFI for this group is called EFI-AMD-3570K-BS.

Please back up your EFI before you consider using these and test them first on a USB
stick before installing them on your SSD or hard drive. No guarantees -- use at your own risk!

Attachments

• EFI-NV-IM132-3470.zip
    13.1 MB · Views: 121
  • EFI-AMD-3570K-BS.zip
    13.6 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Fres
So I see opencore 0.6.6 bootloader from the local drive and I can login into ubuntu through opencore bootloader but when I choose BigSur install, boot just hangs on Apple logo. I am going to try and put the debug version of opencore and see what error message I get but if anyone knows off the top of their head, it will be much appreciate

fresh install did the trick

67BGTEV,

At the present time, I have two groups of HP 8300 machines. The first group
has Nvidia GT730 graphics cards and i5-3470 CPU, and they are configured
as iMac13,2 with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and OC 0.6.6. Here is a copy of the
EFI for this first group.

If you have a different CPU you need to replace the SSDT-CPU-PM-3470.aml
in ACPI and/or disable CPUFriend.kext, depending on how you generate the new
power management file.

If you are not using a Nvidia graphics card, you should remove the shikigva=256
boot argument. DRM in AppleTV works for me with the IGPU disabled in BIOS. If
you enable the IGPU in BIOS, it will default to headless AAPL,ig-platform-id of
07006201. If you want a connector-full IGPU for HD4000 graphics with i7-3770
or i5-3570K, you will have to add device properties for it.

You also have to add serial number, ROM, MLB, and UUID in Platform Info -> Generic
in the config.plist.

The second group of machines has AMD RX560 or RX 570 graphics cards and i5-3570K,
and they are configured as iMac15,1 with macOS Bis Sur 11.2 with OC 0.6.6. I'll clean
that EFI up and post it below. The EFI for this group is called EFI-AMD-3570K-BS.

Please back up your EFI before you consider using these and test them first on a USB
stick before installing them on your SSD or hard drive. No guarantees -- use at your own risk!
My HP 8300 MT is on OC 0.6.4 with Big Sur 11.2.1 using iMac15,1. Is there any advantage to using MacPro6,1 or iMacPro1,1? I am not using USBMap.kext yet and wonder if I need it, hence the reason for not using 15,1.

My HP 8300 MT is on OC 0.6.4 with Big Sur 11.2.1 using iMac15,1. Is there any advantage to using MacPro6,1 or iMacPro1,1? I am not using USBMap.kext yet and wonder if I need it, hence the reason for not using 15,1.

As far as USBMap.kext, I think you can adopt one of the provided USBPorts.kext to fit
your system.

You may have to modify the Info.plist inside of the Contents folder of the kext to fit your
SMBIOS, and Hackintool can produce a prototype kext for you. Hackintools and USBMap
tools aren't so great at dealing with the vintage internal ports of 3rd generation boards,
so you may find it easier than starting from scratch with USBMap.

The advantage of MacPro6,1 is that it is based on a 3rd generation architecture, although
it used a third generation Xeon instead of the common 3rd gen CPUs of the HP8300 series.
Thus, its power management and other features may be closer to what is required for the
HP mobo. The disadvantage of the MP6,1 is that its GPUs were early AMDs with obsolete
interfaces, and some of the GPU defaults are not great. It seems to work well with the
HD4000 graphics of the i7-3770 or i5-3570K, but not so great with Nvidia or later AMD GPUs.

The advantage of iMacPro1,1 seems to come from an earlier time around Catalina 10.15.4
when HEVC (H.265) graphics were enabled only on IMP1,1 SMBIOS with AMD GPU and
disabled IGPU. The advantage seemed to disappear with recent versions of Whatevergreen
with more shikigva and unfairgva options for enabling DRM, also with other more recent SMBIOS
like MP7,1.

An advantage of IM15,1 is that it natively provided power management for IGPU and AMD GPUs.
A disadvantage is that it is based on 4th generation Haswell architecture and you need to provide
CPU power management. The architecture is closer in time than IMP1,1 for example.

Back