Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

That's what comes up on samsung 'Upday' News Thingy (Damn Samsung)

I succesfully upgraded my HP 6300 SFF, i7-3770, HD 4000 from Catalina to Big Sur (no clean installation, I need my files, so formatting is not a valid option).

Preparations for Big Sur:

1) Replaced my old Clover EFI folder with the OC folder provided by Sniki.
2) OC boots OK on Catalina, bye WIN10 boot option from old Clover (I can boot WIN10 OK pressing F9 and selecting the proper disk after OC shows up).
3) Changed the SMBIOS in config.plist to MacPro6,1 with GenSMBIOS, then rebooted.
4) booted OK with new SMBIOS, then Big Sur is downloaded from App Store.

Installation:

5) Ran the installation app, failed at min 22 -> black screen with Apple logo, then jumped to log-in window.
6) Ran the installation app again, the progress bar reached 100% and failed to restart -> black screen with Apple logo, then jumped to log-in window.
7) I did a manual restart to see if the Boot macOS Install option showed up in the OC boot screen but it didn't.
8) The same step 6 situation is repeated in the next 5 tries.

Solution:

9) Downloaded these kexts (Lilu, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen, IntelMausi and AppleALC) and replaced the ones provided by Sniki, then rebooted.
10) The Boot macOS Install appeared now in OC boot options, this is the first time that it showed up after multiple reboots in the process. Chose this option, the installation continues. SUCCESS!

Screenshot 2020-12-27 at 14.43.41.png

5) Ran the installation app, failed at min 22 -> black screen with Apple logo, then jumped to log-in window.
6) Ran the installation app again, the progress bar reached 100% and failed to restart -> black screen with Apple logo, then jumped to log-in window.
7) I did a manual restart to see if the Boot macOS Install option showed up in the OC boot screen but it didn't.
8) The same step 6 situation is repeated in the next 5 tries.
Did you clear/clean the NVRAM before installing Big Sur ?

Did you clear/clean the NVRAM before installing Big Sur ?
Yes, in every reboot. No effect before replacing kexts.

Can someone tell me if my system is Big Sur compatible? Is there a tutorial like there was for Mojave?

I'm currently running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 6300 SFF, i7-3770, 24GB RAM, with a ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 graphics card.

Can someone tell me if my system is Big Sur compatible? Is there a tutorial like there was for Mojave?

I'm currently running Catalina 10.15.7 on a 6300 SFF, i7-3770, 24GB RAM, with a ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 graphics card.
If you are newbie try this

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am a newbie, however, I have successfully upgraded 3 times (going from Mojave to Catalina) since I first built mac system. nguyendj is that tutorial the same as this YouTube video?

Also, can I follow this tutorial to upgrade to OpenCore before attempting to upgrade to Big Sur? I think I am supposed to use this this EFI folder instead, correct?

Last edited:
Back