Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Awesome, thank you. I will go with the MSI RX 560 that way I can use th Dport and HDMI. My monitor has DP, DPmini and 2 HDMI ports so I am going to take advantage lol. I think this weekend I am going to redo everything. I feel comfortable enough with OC after running it for a few weeks. What is the highest definition we can run? MacPro?

VideoProc says 4K

Awesome, thank you. I will go with the MSI RX 560 that way I can use th Dport and HDMI. My monitor has DP, DPmini and 2 HDMI ports so I am going to take advantage lol. I think this weekend I am going to redo everything. I feel comfortable enough with OC after running it for a few weeks. What is the highest definition we can run? MacPro?

Will you able to post your experience/steps of for moving over to OC? I am willing to move over to OC as well but not as verse in these as a lot of you guys. I have been running catalina 10.15.5 with clover as my regular machine for quite a while now. I could never get the custom ssdt.aml for my processor to work as outlined by OP (and few others methods around here). So I am not getting the full advantage of my processor. I hope the story is different with OC (I probably sound naive).

Will you able to post your experience/steps of for moving over to OC? I am willing to move over to OC as well but not as verse in these as a lot of you guys. I have been running catalina 10.15.5 with clover as my regular machine for quite a while now. I could never get the custom ssdt.aml for my processor to work as outlined by OP (and few others methods around here). So I am not getting the full advantage of my processor. I hope the story is different with OC (I probably sound naive).

You might want to wait a little on OpenCore. We're expecting the new official 0.6.0 release on
Monday, and we're awaiting an OpenCore guide from Sniki. Your setup is a little dependent on
which graphics card (if any) and which SMBIOS you want to use.

You might want to wait a little on OpenCore. We're expecting the new official 0.6.0 release on
Monday, and we're awaiting an OpenCore guide from Sniki. Your setup is a little dependent on
which graphics card (if any) and which SMBIOS you want to use.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will wait.
btw, my setup is i5-3470 with hd2500 but I have Nvidia GT710 graphics card installed. Dont know enough to prefer one SMBIOS over other, whichever works out of the box.

Your setup is a little dependent on which graphics card (if any) and which SMBIOS you want to use.
It seems that the story is "whether you can create and start ssdt.aml or not".
In case of "Nvidia GeForce GT6xx", it can be started with SMBIOS=MacMini6.1, but in case of "Nvidia GeForce GT7xx", it cannot be started.
Even "Nvidia GeForce GT6xx" cannot be started with "PRGen170", and can only be started with the Beta version distributed here.

"SMBIOS=iMac13.2" seems to be able to boot with both AMD/Nvidia.
However, I feel that SMBIOS=iMac14.x is suitable for "Nvidia GeForce GT7xx".
I don't own the "Nvidia GeForce GT7xx", only you know and have experience with "Confirm XCPM Enabled".

Want to write a guide?

The computer wouldn't boot without USB installer inserted. It would freeze at the end of Apple progress bar.

I am having the same issue. Mac boots with USB inserted, else hangs at the apple logo loading infinitely. @MrNeedSomeHelp how did you fix the problem. ?

@Sniki when i try to install pods using the command

sudo gem install cocoapods

i get this error. Can you please help me in this regard ?

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
You don't have write permissions for the /usr/local/bin directory.

Moreover, i could not find VirtualSMC.efi in the downloaded zip file VirtualSMC

Thanks

Last edited:
I am having the same issue. Mac boots with USB inserted, else hangs at the apple logo loading infinitely. @MrNeedSomeHelp how did you fix the problem. ?

@Sniki when i try to install pods using the command

sudo gem install cocoapods

i get this error. Can you please help me in this regard ?

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
You don't have write permissions for the /usr/local/bin directory.

Moreover, i could not find VirtualSMC.efi in the downloaded zip file VirtualSMC

Thanks

Youll have to download a older version to get the VirtualSMC file. I would go back and double check everything. Make sure when you set your EFI up for HDD that you follow the exact same steps. As long as you follow the guide exactly and your bios is up to date, you shouldnt have any issues. As far as the cocoapods I cant help you with that.

btw, font rendering, throughout the OS and apps, in my install of catalina was terrible as compared to linux and windows on this same hw (desktop and monitor). Does any one have any insight into it? will opencore have better drivers that may help font rendering?

Last edited:
Does any one have any insight into it? will opencore have better drivers that may help font rendering?
If you use an old CLover, the character display will be abnormal.
Please set to "SMBIOS = iMac13.2" or update to the latest Clover and kexts.

If you use an old CLover, the character display will be abnormal.
Please set to "SMBIOS = iMac13.2" or update to the latest Clover and kexts.
I do have the latest released clover (released on June 5th) and latest released kexts (released on June 1st). I havent tried changing the SMBIOS to iMac13.2. Can someone please point to me to a full proof guide for changing SMBIOS or I could wait for OpenCore Catalina for HP Elite 8300 and see how that fairs and try to change the SMBIOS in that installation.

Back