Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Next boot, I double checked the bios and strangely the selections I had made were changed. Specifically UEFI was flipped back to Legacy. I guessed that this happened in the hardware change alert?
This can happen when the CMOS battery is too weak to hold the BIOS setting changes. It then reverts to the defaults and you lose all changes you've made. Did you ever test or replace yours ?

This can happen when the CMOS battery is too weak to hold the BIOS setting changes. It then reverts to the defaults and you lose all changes you've made. Did you ever test or replace yours ?
I think it is good, but I just swapped it just in case. Didn't seem to make a difference with getting the UEFI install to get past the black screen. And the Legacy installation won't work without Legacy flipped on.

I wondered if after the hardware fault, it defaulted somehow trying to boot after the hardware changes? Again - out of my depth. But it seemed coincidental that the card wouldn't boot without Legacy on, and Legacy got turned on somehow?

I read that these cards are loaded with both UEFI and Legacy boot capability. Is it somehow possible that it doesn't know to use UEFI with the Hackintosh installation for some reason?

Is it somehow possible that it doesn't know to use UEFI with the Hackintosh installation for some reason?
One thing to consider. Did you buy it used on Ebay ? Was it a mining card which had the BIOS flashed for that ?

When everything works perfectly with HD4000 and you followed the complete guide including BIOS setup, the RX 580 should just work without much effort on your part. AFAIK they are all UEFI capable so this doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Yea, I did buy it from eBay. I don't have information about whether it was flashed for mining. I honestly didn't know that was a thing. Is there a way to tell?

Yea, I did buy it from eBay. I don't have information about whether it was flashed for mining. I honestly didn't know that was a thing. Is there a way to tell?
Yes, contact the seller and ask. Hopefully they will be honest with you.

OK, I'll email him and see what he says. You're probably right on used, but I was sucked in by the idea of saving $50. I'll report back if anything else interesting comes up. Thanks for the quick replies.

That was it! Flashed back to stock. Everything is groovy.

Lesson learned? Thanks again for the fast help.

Changing default for front panel microphone

Hi @Sniki and HP-hackintoshers,

Attached is a modified info.plist for AppleALC.kext. If you look in it under

IOKitPersonlities -> HDA Hardware Config Resource -> HDAConfigDefault -> Item 26

you'll see the part that is the ALC221 configuration for LayoutID 11. I modified ConfigData
by adding one hda-verb instruction at the end, 0x01a70724, which seems to be the same
command as

hda-verb 0x1a SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x24.

I also added 0x01a70724 at the end of WakeConfigData.

With my machine, this is enough to make the front panel microphone jack enabled at
startup, as well as enabled after sleep/wake. For me it works with AppleALC installed
in Clover / Kexts / Other, without CodecCommander installed and without an SSDT
file for the codec. In System Preferences -> Sound, I have input set to the first Line In,
and I can adjust microphone Input volume with the aid of the Input level meter.

Attachments

• Info.plist
    276.3 KB · Views: 79
Changing default for front panel microphone

Hi @Sniki and HP-hackintoshers,

Attached is a modified info.plist for AppleALC.kext. If you look in it under

IOKitPersonlities -> HDA Hardware Config Resource -> HDAConfigDefault -> Item 26

you'll see the part that is the ALC221 configuration for LayoutID 11. I modified ConfigData
by adding one hda-verb instruction at the end, 0x01a70724, which seems to be the same
command as

hda-verb 0x1a SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x24.

I also added 0x01a70724 at the end of WakeConfigData.

With my machine, this is enough to make the front panel microphone jack enabled at
startup, as well as enabled after sleep/wake. For me it works with AppleALC installed
in Clover / Kexts / Other, without CodecCommander installed and without an SSDT
file for the codec. In System Preferences -> Sound, I have input set to the first Line In,
and I can adjust microphone Input volume with the aid of the Input level meter.
Yes correct, thanks for providing this as i had no time to deal with HP8300 updates.
I have these patches done locally for many codecs (the ones i have on my hardware) but sorry for not being able to update as i've been very busy.
I've added all the ones from codec commander SSDT, so you confirm only 01a70724 is enough, is that correct ?

Also which Ports where the ones from the front hub (that not all models have it) so i can update the USBPorts.kext

Thanks for your great contribution to these machines like always !

Back