Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

@Asural
Layout-id is already injected on config.plist /Devices/Properties
0B000000 is equal to 11 but just in data format instead of string, that's how acidanthera documented that its the recommended way.

@LisaAlterEgo is correct

Fake LPC device id injection is required as sleep, holding power button won't show power options without it and power management won't work correctly.
Previously it was with SSDT-LPC and now its on config.plist /Devices/Properties as it doesn't affect booting other OS with Clover like this and its the new=better way of doing so.

Will do some more extended audio testing tonight and give you a solution for mic without codeccommander

@Asural that is the wrong way and deprecated,
layout-id is injected with config.plist /Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)/
layout-id = 0B000000 (data), it's the recommended way from Acidanthera, previously it was as string and number 11, now it's 11 but in data format according to recommendations.

@LisaAlterEgo is correct.
I wil do some more additional testing just to be sure, but as far as i know microphones are working all the time for me.
I will try injecting the wake verbs into AppleALC.kext and build it with those verbs upload it for you to test it without codeccommander and see if it works for you as well.

AppleLPC is a must as many things won't work without it, the device-id that these machines have are unsupported on macOS however faking the id fixes that issue. previously we were using SSDT-LPC for that but now we have a better and recommended way to load LPC
config.plist /Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x0)

Without LPC system won't have proper power management, holding the power button shows the menu if you want to shutdown, restart, hibernate or sleep the machine, without LPC this menu doesn't show up but after like 5 sec of holding the power button it will just force shutdown.

Thanks you all for this guide.
I'm starting a new machine based on this guide.

I'd just like to add, an 8GB USB flash disk isn't big enough anymore. I downloaded Catalina x.x.2 and its larger than 8GB. Tried anyway to make a bootable USB flash disk from an 8GB disk and failed. Had to use a 16GB stick.

@Asural that is the wrong way and deprecated,
layout-id is injected with config.plist /Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x1b,0)/
layout-id = 0B000000 (data), it's the recommended way from Acidanthera, previously it was as string and number 11, now it's 11 but in data format according to recommendations.

Thank you, I confirmed the description.

Code:
Note: It is necessary to set value layout-id in Devices-Properties or boot arguments.
HDEF device locations PciRoot, gfxutil may be used: gfxutil -f HDEF
Do not use renaming HDAS to HDEF, B0D3 to HDAU, etc.
Disable FixHDA, AddHDMI and UseIntelHDMI.
Set Devices → Audio → Inject = NO (Necessarily type string!)

Thanks you all for this guide.
I'm starting a new machine based on this guide.

I'd just like to add, an 8GB USB flash disk isn't big enough anymore. I downloaded Catalina x.x.2 and its larger than 8GB. Tried anyway to make a bootable USB flash disk from an 8GB disk and failed. Had to use a 16GB stick.
Thanks for this, yes it's true, i will update the description for that.

@Sniki Not sure if this is related to the changes or something but I noticed that in System Preference the icon for Apple ID does appear, you have to open and close for the icon to show up. Air Display icon also is blank.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 8.33.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 8.33.30 AM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 98
@Sniki @trs96

I'm submitting the attached modified Info.plist for USBports.kext for your inspection
and further testing.

It includes an IOKitPersonality for Macmini6,1 iMac13,2 and iMacPro1,1. I don't
have any machines configured as a MacMini, but I've tested it with the IMac13,2
and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

I think there were problems with the prior definition of the EHC1 internal hub in the plist.

I think port-count is a misnomer, in that it should be set to the maximum port number
instead of the number of ports. Therefore, port-count is set to 08000000 for the EHC1
internal hub.

On the EHC1 internal hub, the machine seems to want port 1 and port 3 defined as UsbMux
XHCA and XHCC, as in a real Apple Mac Mini. I also moved the kUSBMuxEnabled line to the
internal hub. I also included ports 5 and port 6 for the Media 1 header on the mobo,
and ports 7 and 8 for the Media 2 header on the mobo.

I also renamed some of the ports so they would better match up with the iMac13,2.

Remember that I'm not an expert so if someone could check it with a Macmini6,1 it
would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Info.plist
    19 KB · Views: 127
@Sniki @trs96

I'm submitting the attached modified Info.plist for USBports.kext for your inspection
and further testing.

It includes an IOKitPersonality for Macmini6,1 iMac13,2 and iMacPro1,1. I don't
have any machines configured as a MacMini, but I've tested it with the IMac13,2
and iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

I think there were problems with the prior definition of the EHC1 internal hub in the plist.

I think port-count is a misnomer, in that it should be set to the maximum port number
instead of the number of ports. Therefore, port-count is set to 08000000 for the EHC1
internal hub.

On the EHC1 internal hub, the machine seems to want port 1 and port 3 defined as UsbMux
XHCA and XHCC, as in a real Apple Mac Mini. I also moved the kUSBMuxEnabled line to the
internal hub. I also included ports 5 and port 6 for the Media 1 header on the mobo,
and ports 7 and 8 for the Media 2 header on the mobo.

I also renamed some of the ports so they would better match up with the iMac13,2.

Remember that I'm not an expert so if someone could check it with a Macmini6,1 it
would be greatly appreciated.
Excellent work @LisaAlterEgo
Thank you for providing this, you just woke up my lagging brain into this area, it is correct, in the info.plist we can include all the 3 SMBIOS models in use so whether you use macmini6,1 ; iMac13,2 or iMacPro1,1, the same USBPorts.kext will work for every model (universal solution).

About port-count what you say is what i believe Rehabman described on his USB guides but from what i read on Acidanthera documentation, it doesn't matter much, its just that the last port of that controller lets say EHC1 port 4 is the last port in use, port-count should be 4 but as you said leaving the port-count to the complete number should be better as it leaves you the flexibility to add additional ports if necessary and system injects only the ones you provided for use anyway.
Will check that tonight and confirm changes needed.

Thanks a lot for the support.
Will test it as im using macmini6,1 i will also test iMac13,2

Awesome thread, got my my machine working yesterday. Thanks everyone!

I'm interested in getting some type of fan speed monitoring and control working. The systems DSDT looks like there are 4 Fans Defined in the Thermal Zone and there are Active Cooling methods. Although, I can assume that a 6300/8300 SFF only has two active (front and power supply).

I'm curious to know if anyone has HWMonitor or HWMonitorSMC2 working with Fan speed/control on these machines?

I tried using HWSensors-3_r240 package installer (which uses a customized FakeSMC as baseline) and includes many requisites. Installing ACPIMonitor.kext still requires custom DSDT edits to add predefined keys that hook into it. Everything else seems to work fine, just no fans.

Anyone know how to patch the DSDT for the Fan speeds to get HWMonitored?

Thanks.
Gates

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 11.37.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 11.37.18 AM.png
    175.5 KB · Views: 94
Awesome thread, got my my machine working yesterday. Thanks everyone!

I'm interested in getting some type of fan speed monitoring and control working. The systems DSDT looks like there are 4 Fans Defined in the Thermal Zone and there are Active Cooling methods. Although, I can assume that a 6300/8300 SFF only has two active (front and power supply).

I'm curious to know if anyone has HWMonitor or HWMonitorSMC2 working with Fan speed/control on these machines?

I tried using HWSensors-3_r240 package installer (which uses a customized FakeSMC as baseline) and includes many requisites. Installing ACPIMonitor.kext still requires custom DSDT edits to add predefined keys that hook into it. Everything else seems to work fine, just no fans.

Anyone know how to patch the DSDT for the Fan speeds to get HWMonitored?

Thanks.
Gates
Hi @Gates , is there FAN reading available in Windows or Linux operating system(s) (if you have tried) ?
We need SMCSuperIO.kext which is part of VirtualSMC but they have gone under a big revamp and the January Acidanthera Updates will happen on Monday, they did change a lot of things, VirtualSMC now supports fan reading and voltages as well but client updates will be required by developers (HWMonitor.app and others).

I did try to have a look long time ago but i couldn't manage to figure out anything to make it work.
I did try FakeSMC at that time but no Fan reading either.

Currently it's out of my knowledge scope, until the client side updates happen, it will remain like this, as soon as those are ready, i believe people at Acidanthera will help us out to figure and manage to get a positive result into this.

Or even better, if someone does have the knowledge to do so and help into this, i will be happy to add this on the project.

Back