Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

I did...The last lines go so fast befor the black screen, that it's impossible to read that.
The last stop was here:

Verbose.jpg

I did the installer again...Instead of:

sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction

This time I wrote:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app --nointeraction

I have no idea, if there is any difference at the end but the installer worked.

Newegg Sale on the HP 8300 SFF with 8GB ram + 500 GB HDD
For anyone on a really tight budget that wants to have a Catalina hackintosh. Newegg is selling these at a very low price.
You can convert the Win7 pro license to 10 Pro by installing Win10 Pro and then entering the Win7 Pro product key. If you don't have an SSD for Catalina I'd suggest that you get one (240GB or larger). Catalina uses the APFS file system only and it doesn't run well on old mechanical drives. Very slow performance. Windows 10 runs ok on mechanical drives so you can keep 10 on that longer term. Do the Win10 upgrade first, flash your BIOS and then remove that drive. Connect your SSD and install Catalina to your SSD by following the guide in post #1.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-3JGD6?Description=HP%20Elite%208300%20SFF&cm_re=HP_Elite_8300_SFF-_-9SIA6A3A2P3526-_-Product
Screen Shot 3.jpg

Here's a current review from a buyer on newegg.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

You will need a compatible graphics card too. The Nvidia GT 710 works OOB and is fully supported in Mojave/Catalina.

You can pick up an MSI 1GB version (refurbished) for $30 dollars shipped from Newegg right now. Supports 4K televisions via the HDMI 2.0 output. The refresh rate will only be 30 Hz though.

The total cost for your Catalina capable PC is then 126 USD. You've always got room for plenty of upgrades to the CPU ram and graphics later on if you need more performance. There will also be a couple of PCIe slots open for add in cards too. The best price you can get on a used 2012 Mac mini capable of running Catalina is $200. Even then you're stuck with only HD4000 graphics and a slower laptop CPU. Of course, no room for add in cards either. All the minis on Ebay that cost $230 or less only come with 4GB of ram, not 8GB. Also, you can't upgrade to 32GB of ram in a mini (16GB max). If you do have over $220 in your budget then get the HP 8300 SFF with an i7-3770 CPU. Performance is much better than even the highest end i7 Mac mini. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883997751?Description=Elite%208300%20Intel&cm_re=Elite_8300_Intel-_-83-997-751-_-Product

You can use the built in HD4000 graphics and add a better AMD Navi LP card later in 2020 when they are publicly released.

Last edited:
Thanks to Sniki for the fantastic guide.
I was able to successfully install Mojave from the Mojave guide and then update it to Catalina with no problems except:
I can no longer watch HBO Go or Hulu in HD or Apple TV/iTunes movies at all. They use HDCP, so I guess my system must be failing that check. It seems like it could have something to do with the HD2500 iGPU not being supported.
Again, it all worked perfectly in Mojave.
Has anyone else had a problem like this or gotten HDCP to work on a dGPU-only (Nvidia GT 710) system?

Again, it all worked perfectly in Mojave.
Why not partition your boot drive and dual boot Mojave and Catalina ? Then you can have the best aspects of both. There is a way to get around DRM issues in Catalina but it requires an AMD graphics card.

Why not partition your boot drive and dual boot Mojave and Catalina ? Then you can have the best aspects of both. There is a way to get around DRM issues in Catalina but it requires an AMD graphics card.

Thanks for the info, so is there no way to get DRM working on Catalina without an AMD GPU? I was considering buying the 3475S because I thought that the compatible iGPU could solve the issue, but it sounds like that's not the case. I guess dual booting with Mojave is the way to go for now.

Hi guys, I have an HP 8300 SFF with intel i7 and intel HD 4000. I've followed the guide but when I try to install clover bootloader doesn't work so I have copied just the EFI folder compatible with Catalina on the EFI partition of my USB with the Catalina installer. The installation goes well till the time that reboots and asks me the name, password and apple id before that the screen becomes dark and then returns me this image. The mouse moves but when I click the mouse the mouse's icon disappears and when I press a key on the keyboard the screen does a white flash. It is one week that I try to reinstall the OS and play with the kexts. What can be the problem?

please, I need help.

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 108
What can be the problem?
You should be booting verbose (-v) so that you can see where the boot process hangs. Then take a photo of that.

You should be booting verbose (-v) so that you can see where the boot process hangs. Then take a photo of that.

This is the verbose boot, after the last picture remains stuck and doesn't do anything.

What I have to do?

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
What I have to do?
First thing to do, go into BIOS and disable the Serial Port. Then try again. All 8300s have the Serial port. It's of no use to use and can cause problems.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Last edited:
Back