Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

You could try HFS+ instead. That works for some. macOS will convert to APFS for you later.

Scratch that, it's not fixed.

It doesn't make any sense to me but if I leave the USB installer in the computer, it boots up from the SSD in about 5 seconds. Take the USB out and the progression of the startup Apple bar slows and slows, it gets to the end but freezes at that point.

I haven't tried installing on an HFS+ file system yet, I'll wait in case the above information pinpoints a different issue.

Last edited:
Noticing something weird after I updated to 10.15.5 sup. My screen connected to my DP was grey screen (look liked the old tv with no signal) and coming back. I updated all kext and restarted, lets hope that fixed it.

Overcoming Problem with OpenCore 0.5.9 Changes

Hi everyone,

I updated to the Release version of OpenCore 0.5.9 a couple days ago
after updating my WEG, Lilu, VirtualSMC, and AppleALC kexts, and after
installing 10.15.6 beta. I'm writing in hopes that my experience will help
others avoid the problem I had with two machines, one with a RX570
and one with a RX560 GPU.

I thought I carefully went through Dortania's guide, and set up the fairly
standard settings for Ivy Bridge. I used the linked SanityChecker and changed
a couple entries until I fixed everything it complained about, and SanityChecker
said I was error-free. Both machines booted a couple of times using 0.5.9, but
then they would hang every time I selected the macOS. Windows would boot fine
from OC, but macOS would start the Apple with the progress bar, and it would
hang at about 10% of the progress bar. In verbose mode, I would see a kernel
panic in "init" at that point, and backtraces referred to the Lilu and WEG kexts.

In each case, the problem was fixed by going back to my 0.5.8 config.plist with
a few modifications. I found the new ConfigValidity tool in the Release / Utility
folder, and it told me some things SanityChecker had missed, such as the name
change for some subsections of the config.plist from "Block" to "Delete." However,
after all the fixups it required, I would still hang with my new config.plist and could
boot with my 0.5.9 and my old config.plist.

I finally found the culprit. In the new config.plist, I had added a small section in
Device Properties for my dGPU. It had a slotname, a model name "AMD Radeon
RX" 560 or 570, device_type of "Display Controller", and a shikigva entry, as
recommended by Dortania. When I deleted the whole dGPU section, it would boot
without hanging with the new config.plist.

I moved the shikigva back to a shikigva=X boot argument, and it still boots fine and
AppleTV DRM works fine. On one machine, I have an i5-3570K with HD4000 graphics
enabled, and the other is an i5-3570 with HD2500 graphics enabled, but neither has
device properties defined for the iGPU, and both default to the headless 07006201
ig-platform-id.

I hope this helps you avoid a couple hours I lost.

Curious about OpenCore. Does it make sense to go elsewhere for OpenCore tutorial or is a official guide still coming out?

Overcoming Problem with OpenCore 0.5.9 Changes

Hi everyone,

I updated to the Release version of OpenCore 0.5.9 a couple days ago
after updating my WEG, Lilu, VirtualSMC, and AppleALC kexts, and after
installing 10.15.6 beta. I'm writing in hopes that my experience will help
others avoid the problem I had with two machines, one with a RX570
and one with a RX560 GPU.

I thought I carefully went through Dortania's guide, and set up the fairly
standard settings for Ivy Bridge. I used the linked SanityChecker and changed
a couple entries until I fixed everything it complained about, and SanityChecker
said I was error-free. Both machines booted a couple of times using 0.5.9, but
then they would hang every time I selected the macOS. Windows would boot fine
from OC, but macOS would start the Apple with the progress bar, and it would
hang at about 10% of the progress bar. In verbose mode, I would see a kernel
panic in "init" at that point, and backtraces referred to the Lilu and WEG kexts.

In each case, the problem was fixed by going back to my 0.5.8 config.plist with
a few modifications. I found the new ConfigValidity tool in the Release / Utility
folder, and it told me some things SanityChecker had missed, such as the name
change for some subsections of the config.plist from "Block" to "Delete." However,
after all the fixups it required, I would still hang with my new config.plist and could
boot with my 0.5.9 and my old config.plist.

I finally found the culprit. In the new config.plist, I had added a small section in
Device Properties for my dGPU. It had a slotname, a model name "AMD Radeon
RX" 560 or 570, device_type of "Display Controller", and a shikigva entry, as
recommended by Dortania. When I deleted the whole dGPU section, it would boot
without hanging with the new config.plist.

I moved the shikigva back to a shikigva=X boot argument, and it still boots fine and
AppleTV DRM works fine. On one machine, I have an i5-3570K with HD4000 graphics
enabled, and the other is an i5-3570 with HD2500 graphics enabled, but neither has
device properties defined for the iGPU, and both default to the headless 07006201
ig-platform-id.

I hope this helps you avoid a couple hours I lost.

Does it make sense to go elsewhere for OpenCore tutorial or is a official guide still coming out?
The author of this guide is using it already and will post a guide here. So if you've followed this Clover UEFI guide it would be advisable to wait for this new OC guide to be posted here. If you are completely new to OC the transition is rather complex. You won't want to be mixing methods from various guides on the internet to avoid confusion.

The author of this guide is using it already and will post a guide here. So if you've followed this Clover UEFI guide it would be advisable to wait for this new OC guide to be posted here. If you are completely new to OC the transition is rather complex. You won't want to be mixing methods from various guides on the internet to avoid confusion.

The Dortania OpenCore Desktop Guide is a good starting point for learning about OpenCore 0.5.9,
and it has a good section on Ivy Bridge for HP 8300 users.

You could try HFS+ instead. That works for some. macOS will convert to APFS for you later.

Alas, it's not fixed after all.

It doesn't make any sense to me but if I leave the Catalina USB installer in the computer, it boots up from the SSD in about 5 seconds. Take the USB out and the progression of the startup Apple bar slows and slows, it gets to the end but freezes at that point.

I haven't tried installing on an HFS+ file system yet, I'll wait in case the above information pinpoints a different issue.

Alas, it's not fixed after all.

It doesn't make any sense to me but if I leave the Catalina USB installer in the computer, it boots up from the SSD in about 5 seconds. Take the USB out and the progression of the startup Apple bar slows and slows, it gets to the end but freezes at that point.

Just make sure your EFI you made for your USB matches the EFI for your bootdrive. Sounds like youre missing some files? or proper config list. Is your CPU HD2500 or HD4000?

Just make sure your EFI you made for your USB matches the EFI for your bootdrive. Sounds like youre missing some files? or proper config list. Is your CPU HD2500 or HD4000?

Back