Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not work for me. No audio after using the provided AppleALC kext. I am using HP6300 10.15.4 with the builtin HD 4000. My CPU is 3770. I am using Macmini6,1
I was surprised that the "HP8300CMT i5-3470 RX570" did not recognize Audio as you did.
It doesn't seem to work unless the latest Lilu.kext 1.4.4 is used.

The question I asked is whether it can be made to work with SMBIOS of MacMini6,1 (in my case, with
OpenCore 0.5.7, but am also curious about Nvidia power management with Clover and macOS 10.15.4+).
I succeeded in enabling dAGPM.kext with SMBIOS = MacMini6.1 setting.
If you are using VirtualSMC it is possible if /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ssd.aml exists.

Last edited:
I continued to have hangs / white screens of death as per this:

UPDATE: Unfortunately this happened again. It worked a lot longer this time, but after about 2 hours it occurred again where the screens went grey/white.

But it turns out that the instructions in the "macos-native-discrete-gpu-power-management" thread from here has helped (although my AMD RX 580 is showing up in the ioregistry as Nvidia):

You seem to be describing a situation where you run the graphics and maybe CPU at high throttle
for long periods of time and then see a graphics failure. You should probably make sure you've
implemented power management properly, and the temperature of your GPU and CPU stay in a
reasonable range. Are you using VirtualSMC? SMCProcessor, SMCSuperIO, and hwmontior2
will probably help montior your temps for you. You may need to use ssdtPRGen to generate
better power control for your CPU, and @toleda discusses Native Discrete GPU power management:

I continued to have hangs / white screens of death as per this:

But it turns out that the instructions in the "macos-native-discrete-gpu-power-management" thread from here has helped (although my AMD RX 580 is showing up in the ioregistry as Nvidia):

Are you defining device properties for your RX 580 in your config.plist or an SSDT?

Are you defining device properties for your RX 580 in your config.plist or an SSDT?

Hmm, I don't recall having defined the properties anywhere per se for this card. I thought it was essentially native and don't believe I put any properties anywhere, nor recall seeing anything that indicates to do so.

I know there's no SSDT definition (I generated a new SSDT as per above, but had problems and ended up having better success using @trs96's i7-3770 SSDT from the bottom of the first post here.)

I also don't have anything in my config.plist for Graphics, Devices, or elsewhere... Where are instructions regarding defining RX 580 properties?

Hmm, I don't recall having defined the properties anywhere per se for this card. I thought it was essentially native and don't believe I put any properties anywhere, nor recall seeing anything that indicates to do so.

I know there's no SSDT definition (I generated a new SSDT as per above, but had problems and ended up having better success using @trs96's i7-3770 SSDT from the bottom of the first post here.)

I also don't have anything in my config.plist for Graphics, Devices, or elsewhere... Where are instructions regarding defining RX 580 properties?

You could use Hackintool to generate a property list for your PCIe devices, which includes your RX 580
card. It will give you the Device Properties to include for the RX 580, which would include the model
of your card, and its internal address. You can export the generated list of properties, and incorporate
one or more of them in the Device Properties of your existing config.plist. I've never seen Whatevergreen
confuse a AMD Radeon card for an Nvidia card without a definition, but you can be explicit and tell it what
GPU you have. If you reboot and then go to About this Mac -> System Report, you can select and see
your PCI devices, whether the drivers have attached properly, and various additional properties of the devices.

I'm afraid that the confusion is not WhateverGreen, but rather the fact that this is an iMac13,2 and the tutorial mentions that an iMac13,2 does not have a native AMD (see: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-discrete-gpu-power-management.247479/):
imac.jpg

I'm afraid that the confusion is not WhateverGreen, but rather the fact that this is an iMac13,2 and the tutorial mentions that an iMac13,2 does not have a native AMD (see: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-discrete-gpu-power-management.247479/):
View attachment 471254

I've run across that before. Even if you use dAGPM.kext to try and inject power control for AMD graphics
in an iMac13,1 SMBIOS machine, it attaches AGPM to the AMD graphics card, but it ends up with the
Heuristic-ID for an Nvidia card instead.

For AMD you probably want to use a MacMini6,1 SMBIOS or, as I prefer, a iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.
With iMacPro1,1, it natively assigns the right Heuristic-ID for AGPM with an AMD GPU. With MacMini6,1
you may have to supply an appropriate dAGPM.kext for GPU power management.

With iMacPro1,1 however, you have to add an SSDT from ssdtPRGen and/or CPUfriend for CPU power
management. You may also need AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext, and, at least with some betas and
versions of 10.15, you may need an HEVCenabler.kext for HEVC hardware coding.

With iMacPro1,1 however, you have to add an SSDT from ssdtPRGen and/or CPUfriend for CPU power
management.
ssdtPRGen.sh is an old shell script that has no iMacPro1.1 configuration definition.
Therefore, SMBIOS = iMacPro1.1 can create ssd.aml by specifying CPU.

Code:
~/PRGen170/ssdtPRGen.sh -a CPU0 -p i5-3470
When you execute it, it will be in the input waiting state asking "Do you want to create it even though the CPU is not supported by board-id?".
Do "y" + return here.

Edit:
The cause of the error when running with SMBIOS = MacMini6.1 is currently unknown.

When ssdtPRGen.sh is executed with SMBIOS = MacMini6.1, it is assumed that DataFolder exists in ~/Libraly / ssdtPRGen/, and it will end abnormally because it does not exist.
This guide has already been modified, so you can create it for this post simply by running the following command:
Code:
cd ~
curl -o ./ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh/master/ssdtPRGen.sh
chmod +x ./ssdtPRGen.sh

Append:
The post #909 seems to prove that it doesn't work.

Last edited:
I think it is easier to understand by referring to the following thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back