Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get Mac Pro 3.1 to work with Catalina ? That is the 2008 Mac Pro SMBIOS.
MacPro3.1 is used in 10.11.6.
It's just that it's easy to understand the operation and expression on a familiar real machine.
I think people who are used to other models have different opinions.

It would be nice to add a function to select option1 and option2, come up with Option 3, and so on.

I use MacPro 3.1, so I prefer Option 1.
View attachment 442988

View attachment 442989

Regarding the input, it is difficult to distinguish both the front and the back because they have the same name.
Is it possible to use a distinguished name?
View attachment 442990
HDMI and USB audio devices are still selectable between each other even with Option 2, automation happens only for output jacks (front and rear) and internal speakers.
I can still select HDMI or USB Headsets so you still have all these like shown on your pictures.
Only LineOut doesn't appear unless you plug something into it (desktop speakers or Headphones).

Regarding input, i've been working till now trying to make them differ with names but for some reasons, other than LineIn none of them will show up and work... i have 3 more variants to test for that, if none works, First linein is front Input jack and second linein is rear input jack.

So what's your opinion now:
Still option 1 or option 2 ?

It would be nice to add a function to select option1 and option2, come up with Option 3, and so on.
We can do that as well by making a layout id other than 11 so it's up to users to pick which Audio variant they want by just picking different layout-id.

It's weird how the development of this machine support have gone.

First of all it was your idea that pumped me to get one of these machines so i can give it a try thanks to your wonderful guide that you had created.

Then i took the project and improved on what has been left to be fixed and guess what:
I fixed what was left that could've been fixed but complicated the EFI with many more SSDTs and stuff.
AND NOW:
Back to almost your same route, pretty much 75% of the configuration is on config.plist, 18% kexts, 2% SSDTs so this setup has become very clean again but with all current existing fixes.

Just fixed ALC221 to work without codeccommander.kext and SSDT-ALC221 :headbang:
Both input sources are working , front mic port, back mic port without codec Commander.
Complete Automatic Audio output implemented, no longer need to select Line Out if you plug something on the back, audio will start playing automatically on Line Out if you plug something on the back jack BUT:
Someone might not like this if they have jacks both on front and back connected so i will ask you guys what you want:

Option 1:
If i leave the function as it is current (the one you are using): everything will work:
  • If you are playing on PC speaker and connect headphones on front headphone jack, audio goes automatically to headphones, you unplug headphones audio returns automatically to PC Speaker.
  • But if you connect Headphones or Desktop Speakers on the back Jack (LineOut) you will have to right click Line Out on volume icon menubar to switch audio to that source and whenever you decide to PC Speaker & Front Jack auto switch, you will have to switch to that (this is what you are using right now) the only fix i did is patch it to not use codeccommander.kext and SSDT-ALC221.

Option 2:
If i fix everything with automatic switch function but lose dual jack pluggedin manual switch (first jack connected wins the output)
  • You are on PC Speaker, you plug headphones on front jack, audio goes on headphones, you unplug goes back to PC Speaker, you decide to plug Headphones on Rear Jack, audio goes to rear Jack automatically. (complete auto switch).
  • BUT you lose the function to have two audio outputs plugged in and select between which one you want. So you have Desktop speakers/Headphones on back jack plugged in, and you decide to plug headphones on front, audio will stay on back (or first connected jack) so you will have to unplug one of them that you are not using for audio to return on the one you are using.
I hope i was clear with the explanation

Please let me know which option you want.

I prefer the first option. I leave the analog audio-out plugged in, but mostly use HDMI audio using the digital to
analog converter in my TV set. Occasionally, I desire to use the audio-out and turn the TV off, such as for background
music. I prefer manually selecting the correct audio output over having to plug and unplug cables.

For Siri, I'm still hoping that plugging in the front panel mic will wake up the audio input. I don't mind having to
manually select the correct line-in input.

So again, I must say that HP 6300 and 8300 owners are the luckiest hackintosh owners in the world as they have all this work done for them already.

I've got to say again a big thanks to you both, you have both built a great little eco-system and made the entry to hackintoshing fun and accessible. The time you guys put into continuing dialogue with people, and the updates of course, is commendable.

Audio question: I don't use either as I use USB headphones and AirPlay so I don't mind. I'd probably prefer 1 but feel free to disregard my vote.

Updates: Would it be worth perhaps looking at vanillerising (a new word lol) the install so you don't need to put the kexts into the L/E folder? I have mine on the EFI only and I've been able to install/update painlessly into Catalina. To be fair though, I haven't updated my Clover nor kexts, so I'm probably playing a bit of Russian Roulette. Once the update lands, I might give it a go through again.

Audio question: I don't use either as I use USB headphones and AirPlay so I don't mind. I'd probably prefer 1 but feel free to disregard my vote.
Option 1 will be the default, Option 2 will be a custom AppleALC build by me attached at the end of the guide.
Updates: Would it be worth perhaps looking at vanillerising (a new word lol) the install so you don't need to put the kexts into the L/E folder? I have mine on the EFI only and I've been able to install/update painlessly into Catalina. To be fair though, I haven't updated my Clover nor kexts, so I'm probably playing a bit of Russian Roulette. Once the update lands, I might give it a go through again.
I have been using kexts on EFI only for about 4-6 months, i just didn't had the time to update the guides.

If all goes as planned, i might be able to update the guides tomorrow *finally*

All kexts will be in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other only, not on system anymore.

0 config.plist > ACPI > DSDT > Patches
Only two SSDTs:
SSDT-EC and SSDT.aml
All the other ones are removed and not needed anymore

Kexts:
Lilu, AppleALC, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC, SMCProcessor, IntelMausi, USBPorts.

Aside from VGA port this is as perfect and as clean as it can get for now

You've built a great little eco-system and made the entry to hackintoshing fun and accessible.
That was the primary idea in writing these guides for pre-builts that most anyone, anywhere in the world can buy. No PC building required, no technical experience required. When I first started testing these HPs over 4 years ago, most all of the guides for pre-builts like this were incomplete and inadequate. The hardware was too old to run newer macOS versions. Most people failed and gave up. They had very few options other than buying a used, outdated, underpowered Mac mini.

So now with Sniki's guide and others, it "evens the field." People without 800+ dollars to spend on a new build can get a working hack with a current macOS version that works well (and pay only 200 USD or less). If someone wants to code for iOS, create and record music or video, this gives them the option using Xcode, Logic Pro or FCP X. A lot of creative people may not be able to spend the $1500 to $2000 dollars a brand new Mac and specific software costs. Windows is another option but the software for doing these thing is not as good or doesn't exist at all.

The other area where these builds shine is in the area of backwards compatibility. Some people must run older versions of macOS for software programs they use. You can go as far back as running Mountain Lion on these HP machines and it runs very well. Some people may still need PCI slots for certain sound cards. These also work great as a secondary system for those that have newer hardware and need a second hack that just works reliably all the time.

I don't want hackintoshing to be exclusive so that only the very wealthy or only the technically inclined can have one. I'm really happy this project has been a success. It's all been made possible by this community and everyone that has contributed their time and talent.

Last edited:
... I have been using kexts on EFI only for about 4-6 months, i just didn't had the time to update the guides. ... If all goes as planned, i might be able to update the guides tomorrow *finally* ... All kexts will be in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other only, not on system anymore ... Aside from VGA port this is as perfect and as clean as it can get for now

Awesome work, looking forward to having a play whenever it happens!

That was the primary idea in writing these guides for pre-builts that most anyone, anywhere in the world can buy. ... I don't want hackintoshing to be exclusive so that only the very wealthy or only coders or the technically inclined can have one. I'm really happy this project has been a success.

It certainly has been! I think it has a good level of technical knowledge required though, trying to sort out my EFI folders forced me to do some more learning and get my head around the basics. The multibeast and UEFI guides cater for both types of users which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back