Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Elite 8300 & 6300 Pro (all form factors) using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've created a graphic that @Sniki can add to post number one so his readers don't try to install with a VGA connection and keep "living in the stone ages." Or I could say the analog age. Apple dropped VGA support over ten years ago. Windows still has it.

Would also be a good idea to update the Clover download location from the now defunct SourceForge location. He should also link up the repo location for convenience sake when he mentions it. There are a number of minor tweaks that would really help this guide, but I'm not sure what the best way to recommend them would be. Too bad there's not some kind of wiki functionality that would allow communal editing as appropriate.

Would also be a good idea to update the Clover download location from the now defunct SourceForge location.
Here's the link for anyone that wants the latest Clover:

This is Slice's Github page and has all the releases from 5099 back to 5071.

Alright, so post install went fine. When it was all done I put the RX580 back in and on reboot it rebooted once after it got to the login point and then the display with an HDMI -> DP adapter worked fine, however my DVI and HDMI ports do not seem to work. All work fine with BIOS and Clover and the initial loading / verbose boot.

I tried to use direct HDMI without a DP adapter and that would not work, thus it seems as though something is going on with HDMI and DVI while the DP seems to function... Not good at all.

UPDATE:
So I have two monitors working now:
• DVI -> DP adapter -> RX580
• VGA -> DP adapter -> RX580

Not working:
• HDMI -> RX580

The odd thing is that all 3 monitors show up in the System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement. It's acting as though this pure HDMI monitor is there, but no video is being drawn on it.

I'm also seeing a strange "tearing" effect that gives the impression that the driver is not working quite right when I drag windows around or do various movements on the screen. It seems that something is off...

Last edited:
@trs96 so I've just had a crazy development. I attached the monitors such that:
• Monitor 1: DVI to HDMI cable -> HDMI to DP adapter -> DP port on RX580
• Monitor 2: VGA -> VGA to DP adapter -> DP port on RX580
• Monitor 3: HDMI -> HDMI port on RX580

After walking away from the system for about 20 minutes and coming back to find it asleep, I woke it up and all 3 monitors are now functional. Furthermore the "tearing" effect is now entirely (it appears) eliminated!

I found that it has to be shut down for roughly over 30 seconds (until all the fans shut off and it goes into a deeper power save state) before being woken up.

Any thoughts on what could be going on here or what could be done to make these work without having to put the system to sleep first for proper GPU function?

Any thoughts on what could be going on here or what could be done to make these work without having to put the system to sleep first for proper GPU function?
Is legacy support enabled or disabled in the BIOS ?

"Option Rom Launch Policy"? These were all set to "Legacy Only", but when I set them to "UEFI Only" the system now boots with all 3 monitors, BUT I have no video for BIOS, Clover or boot time prior to the drivers initializing and drawing all three displays for macOS...

If I am to go "UEFI Only", is there a way to get video for BIOS + Clover / Boot?

If not normally, is it possible to enable integrated HD4000 while also running the RX580 so as to be able to plug in an additional monitor or swap if necessary to get boot time display and options?

I guess worst case scenario, is there a Clover UEFI GPU driver to trigger graphics earlier even if BIOS display is not available?

Last edited:
If not normally, is it possible to enable integrated HD4000 while also running the RX580 so as to be able to plug in an additional monitor or swap if necessary to get boot time display and options?
I no longer own the 8300 SFF so I can't test these options for you. If some other 8300 owners using Mojave can give some input here that would be great.

It seems so far I'm hitting blanks. I had to remove the RX580 to get BIOS / Clover video again. Can't help but think there must at least be a Clover option for this kind of situation. I've heard they're working on this for OpenCore for even *real* Macs that have the video boot problem. Hmmm...

It seems so far I'm hitting blanks. I had to remove the RX580 to get BIOS / Clover video again. Can't help but think there must at least be a Clover option for this kind of situation. I've heard they're working on this for OpenCore for even *real* Macs that have the video boot problem. Hmmm...
Since it is unclear what model, what CPU, what you want to do, please explain.
RX580 should work properly from 10.14.5.

@Asural 8300 Elite CMT, Core i7-3770, Sapphire RX580 8GB. BIOS version: 2.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back